Help!

ottawa24

We normally sign up for cruises 6 + mths and have lots of time to plan. Our friends just talked us into HAL's San Diego to Lima and back to San Diego. I have read some of the boards, but I'm not getting a "feel" for Panama City. We are there for 2 days so we really want to make the most of it. Our preference is to do it independently of the cruise line.Any suggestions or names of tour companies we would appreciate.

We are going to buy the books Path between the Sea and Your Day in the Panama Canal, and hope they will catch us up.:D

Thanks

lesley

I'm sure that one of the tours that would be offered would be a partial transit of the Canal. However when a cruise ship is in port normally all their assets are devoted to the cruise ship, so it is unlikely you would be unable to take the tour unless you did it through the ship. A unique tour would be a visit to the Embera Indian village, Anne Gordon would be the go to person here, but usually in demand and hard to get. Another off the beaten path tour would be to Captain Carl's Jungle Lodge http://www.junglelandpanama.com/#!HOME/mainPage, which has been available only to non ship tours.

Tours around Panama City, to the Locks probably could be made on shore where you tender off at Ft. Amador, of course that will be pot luck and you really won't know how good/bad it will be. For established tour operators, Panama Marine Adventure and My Friend Mario are a couple of names that come to mind. Just the regular disclaimer... I have not used any of them.

Here is something that is new since I was last there, so I can't provide any real info... so it maybe another blind lead. Take a look at the Hop on Hop Off Bus... http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/panama/panama-city.htm?set-currency=USD

One other thing you might try if you have not already done so, is to check with fellow cruisers on your roll call and see if they have any private excursions that you could hook up with.

We looked at the colonial city with cruise line but know that becomes draggy with a big group. Looked at the gambaro tram but people say a lot of money and the tour is just ok because the rest is just like a small zoo. Is it possible or should I say safe to just get a cab at the Colon port and go to the colonial Panama are to walk around or is it too long of a cab ride for a short walk about?

Companies I have googled have schedules that are not available on the days we are there. For sure we are going to do the Hop on. Maybe when we get there we will be able to arrange something. It seems the Canal authorities only allow certain days for tour companies.

lesley

We looked at the colonial city with cruise line but know that becomes draggy with a big group. Looked at the gambaro tram but people say a lot of money and the tour is just ok because the rest is just like a small zoo. Is it possible or should I say safe to just get a cab at the Colon port and go to the colonial Panama are to walk around or is it too long of a cab ride for a short walk about?

Nothing inherently unsafe leaving the port area in Colon in a cab or tour, but you summed it pretty well about it being a lot of cab and short walk. If you combined it with something else it might be worth it. Probably to get all the way into that part of the City it will take the better part of 1.5 hrs. The other thing I would be a little concerned about would be the cabbie's knowledge of Colonial Panama, there is not much there that can be used for self guided tours.

We are still trying to find someone to give us a Partial transit. Since we have 2 days in Panama we are going to do the Hop-On bus one of the days. I have contacted at least half a dozen tour companies, none are operating on the 13 or 14 of November. I am getting suspicious that they are possibly allowed to operate on particular dates. I am now trying to contact the Authorities to see if I'm right. Then I'll give up. However that said I just thought maybe we could hitch a ride on one of the tankers!!!!:D:D

lesley

Thanks for your vast knowledge. Another choice what about the gambaro Areal tram. How long a bus ride would it take a tour bus to get there?

I have not done the the tram at Gamboa, so can't really address that part of your question. The trip to Gamboa from Colon would be around an hour and if you were to go on towards Panama City from Gamboa that would be 1/2 hour depending on traffic.

We are still trying to find someone to give us a Partial transit. Since we have 2 days in Panama we are going to do the Hop-On bus one of the days. I have contacted at least half a dozen tour companies, none are operating on the 13 or 14 of November. I am getting suspicious that they are possibly allowed to operate on particular dates. I am now trying to contact the Authorities to see if I'm right. Then I'll give up. However that said I just thought maybe we could hitch a ride on one of the tankers!!!!:D:D

lesley

I don't profess to know any of the inner workings of any of the tour operators running the partial transits, but I suspect most of these operators are acting as agents for the company that does the partial transits (Panama Marine Adventures). There was also another vessel used at times, the Islamorada, I don't know if that is still being used in any capacity. Anyway, here's wishing good luck!

The independent ferry cruises of the Canal typically only operate when ships aren't in. When the cruise ships are in they usually need all the inventory of space on the ferry cruises. Same with the Panama Railway passenger train.

I believe that the Canal tries to group smaller vessels together for transits, which is probably why you don't see the ferry tours scheduled every day, plus it is expensive.

Gamboa is nice. Beautiful resort. Probably wouldn't be my first choice. You will see lots of toucans flying around. The areal tram isn't so much a "rainforest tour" as it is a means of transport up the hill. We did see a few critters when I did it, partly because I knew where to look . . . around the garbage cans! When you get to the top of the tram ride up, you then have to climb up a good size tower, like walking up three decks, for a really great view of the Canal snaking through the jungle. Wouldn't recommend if you have any walking difficulties.

Regards. Richard

The independent ferry cruises of the Canal typically only operate when ships aren't in. When the cruise ships are in they usually need all the inventory of space on the ferry cruises. Same with the Panama Railway passenger train.

I believe that the Canal tries to group smaller vessels together for transits, which is probably why you don't see the ferry tours scheduled every day, plus it is expensive.

Gamboa is nice. Beautiful resort. Probably wouldn't be my first choice. You will see lots of toucans flying around. The areal tram isn't so much a "rainforest tour" as it is a means of transport up the hill. We did see a few critters when I did it, partly because I knew where to look . . . around the garbage cans! When you get to the top of the tram ride up, you then have to climb up a good size tower, like walking up three decks, for a really great view of the Canal snaking through the jungle. Wouldn't recommend if you have any walking difficulties.

Regards. Richard

That would explain why we can't find an independent tour. We are Holland Americas Statendam and none of their tours seem to go to Gatun lake.

What do you think our chanes are of finding a tour when we arrive?

Thanks for any input, it's appreciated.

lesley

Archived