Visa for Brazil?

yannisusa

We will be visiting 3 ports in Brazil by cruise ship. We will be flying to Buenos Aires where we will board the Infinity and leaving South America from Buenos Aires. Do we need a visa for the Brazil visits?

Yannis

We will be visiting 3 ports in Brazil by cruise ship. We will be flying to Buenos Aires where we will board the Infinity and leaving South America from Buenos Aires. Do we need a visa for the Brazil visits?

Yannis

Yes, you will need a visa for Brazil.

Your profile doesn't tell where you live. I'm in NYC and went to the Brazillian consulate and got it in 24 hours.

If you don't live near a consulate, you'll have to use a service like Zeier (not sure of spelling) who handles the paperwork for you.

Thanks for the info. I reside 50 miles north of Boston and there is a Brazilian Conslulate in Boston so there should be no problem to get the visa from there.

The question I have is how long is the Visa for? Do I have to get it just a few days before the trip?

Yannis

yannis: you have to enter Brazil within 30-days after the issue date of your Brazilian visa. Once you have the visa and have entered Brazil, it is good for the life of your current passport. So, there is no need to rush out and get your visa unless you are within that 30-day window.

I heard from a Brazilian friend that they are considering eliminating the visa or reducing the fee. I don't have details.

I e mailed the Brazilian Consulate and they said they know nothing of this.

Ron

I just checked the web site for the Brazilian Embassy. You have 90 days to enter Brazil after the visa is issued. It costs $100.00 for US citizens plus a $10.00 handling fee if done by mail. Money must be paid by a US Postal Order. You must send your application - downloadable from the web site - to the Consular office that has jurisdiction for your state of residence. The Miami office only accepts applications in person during certain hours so do check before you make a long drive. You can do it yourself by mail. Interestingly, it states that Yellow Fever Vacinations are recommended for visiting Amazonas. I thought it was required. I am going to check on that. I don't want to be turned away at the door. But I also don't want innoculations that aren't required.

We too are booked for South America in January '06 and I called Radisson and they said that they take care of the Visa for us so before anyone pays to get their own, call your cruiseline. Unfortunately, a yellow fever shot is required (not just recommended like it was in the past) UGH....I hate shots!

After 9/11, the US raised visa fees to $100. In return, many other countries raised their fees to $100 for US citizens. When we went to apply for our visa at the SF Consulate, there were signs stating that the raised visa fee of $100 was only for US citizens...simply as a matter of reciprocity....Canadian and Mexican citizens were only $30 (I think....but significantly less than for US).

Yellow Fever shots are yucky. If you have any health conditions, you need to discuss with your doc first. Based on existing health, some docs will recommend you not get the shot.....it's amongst the most tricky of the innoculations. Here in Calif (other states???), the yellow fever vaccines are so strictly controlled, you do not get them at the doctor's office.....instead, the county health office (and usually just one location, which handles innoculations, not all offices).

Another thing.....remember.....the yellow fever vaccine is NOT required to travel into a region. Bluntly stated, they don't worry about you while you are there. The question is....to what countries are you travelling after you have been in an affected area??? It is those countries that may require you to prove your innoculation to enter their country....including to come home to the US.

When we were in Brazil, it was not required by the US. However, the last time we were in Africa, we transited thru Jo'berg (simply connecting one flight to another, but had to change terminals); RSA immigations asked to see our certificate. We spent a night in Frankfurt to break up the trip; they asked to see our certificate. But returning to the US, they did not. Another time, coming home from SE Asia (I think Burma and Laos on that trip), US officials did want to see the cert.

Luckily, yellow fever vaccines are good for 10 years.

After 9/11, the US raised visa fees to $100. In return, many other countries raised their fees to $100 for US citizens. When we went to apply for our visa at the SF Consulate, there were signs stating that the raised visa fee of $100 was only for US citizens...simply as a matter of reciprocity....Canadian and Mexican citizens were only $30 (I think....but significantly less than for US).

You're absolutely right, it's definitely a tit-for-tat fee and us americans are lucky that it's not even more. If you consider what the average Brazillian makes in a year compared to an American, the $100. is alot more for them than it is for us.

I have a Brazillian friend who had to pay $400. for her and her three kids to vist the US. On her teacher's salary in a small Brazillian town, it really choked her.

• 3 weeks later...

BRAZIL - *Passport and visa required. Tourist visas are issued within two business days if applicant submits application in person. Visas are valid for multiple entries within 5 years for a period to be determined by the consular officer, for stays of up to 90 days renewable for the same length of stay by the Brazilian Federal Police. First entry into Brazil must be within 90 days of visa issuance. Visa requires 1 application form, 1 passport size photo, and proof of onward/return transportation. There is a processing fee of $100 for tourists. Additional $10 fee for applications sent by mail, or by anyone other than applicant. Provide SASE for return of passport by mail. For information about traveling with [brazilian] minors or other types of visas, contact the Brazilian Embassy (Consular Section), 3009 Whitehaven St. NW, Washington, DC 20008 (202/238-2828) or nearest Consulate: CA (323-651-2664 or 415-981-8170), FL (305-285-6200), IL (312-464-0244), MA (617-542-4000), NY (917-777-7777) or TX (713-961-3063). Internet: http://www.brasilemb.org/

• 4 weeks later...

It took me less than a week to get my Brazilian visa processed through Houston consultate. It was sent Priority Mail (from DFW area) on Monday, received in Houston on Tuesday and I received the visa today - Saturday. It was much faster than I expected but don't know if all consulates operate that quickly since where you live depends on who handles the process.

Yellow fever shot, visa and ready to go!!

Kevinsac, that may be true in your community, but I got my yellow fever shot at a private Traveler's Health clinic. The PHD does not give them in San Diego county. I had not problem with it (other than the expense), and got my tetanus updated at the same time. While not required, all travelers should consider having hepatitis A as well.

I got mine this week at the hospital at which I volunteer. They offer International Travel Services, but don't know if many other hospitals offer such a service. It saved having to go the the county health department, anyway.

Archived