Frog & Onion Pub

P&DinDE2

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has eaten at the Frog & Onion & how was the food?

We were thinking about eating in a resturant instead of on the ship the night we are docked there & any suggestions would be appreciated! nothing to fancy though!:) We will be docked in the Dockyards.

I looked it up on Frommers.. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/D39446.html and they commented the food was not spectacular (british pub food normally is not!). I have not eaten there.

I did have brunch at Beethoven's at the Dockyards and found it very nice. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/D52904.html

Dockyards is a 30-45 minute ferry ride away from downtown Hamilton. There are maybe about 4-6 restaurants in Dockyards.

In Hamilton I would recommend the Waterloo House (reservations required) http://www.waterloohouse.com/dining3.htm or the Barricuda or the Pickeled Onion or the Harbour Front. All near the ferry stop.

As you will be docked at King's Wharf, we would recommend you do lunch at the Frog & Onion! It is a cool place to see, as it is within the walls (3ft. thick) of the old fort, and has a fireplace large enough to stand in. F&O has one of the neatest t-shirts on the island IMO. Food is typical pub fare. We have enjoyed lunch and several libations there...also a couple of "farewell to Bermuda" parties, just prior to departure...sniff! :(

The Frog & Onion has the best hamburgers east of Cape Hatteras -- good fried onions and side dishes as well -- you can go with the typical British pub food if you desire for experience exceeds your concern for your stomach, but I'd stick with the burgers and onions.

Was there last May....was different that is for sure. I wish I could say I liked it...but sorry I didnt. I think what turned me was they had these large candle holders everywhere that apparently held large candles that they lit...but the wax from the candles melting was everywhere...and they never cleaned it up...and it looked like it was months worth of wax...because it would be piled from the floor up the candle arms and stand which was about 5 feet. It was not very appetizeing.

Group of 4 our us..each had a hamburger, fries and coke. Came to $80.00.

This November we are going again, but ship will be docked there, so we will pass on the Frog and the Onion this time for sure.

I would not say that this particular restuarant - Frog and Onion - is MORE expensive than other places in Bermuda in general.

Hamburger, Fries and Coke at $20 each (which includes the gratruity built into the bill) is not horrible for Bermuda.

At an average Italian place, had a salad, pasta (meat not seafood), two glasses house wine and dessert .. and bill was over $60 for ONE person. For an average meal.

Carryout for lunch can be $12+ for sandwich, crisps (chips) and soda. Add some soup to that (granted home made) and you end up closer to $20.

Touristy food places are ALWAYS expensive ... Bermuda is generally VERY expensive for foods. The ONE chain restaurant on the Island - a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) to me was incrediblly expensive for like a 3piece meal (forget how much but about $10 vs $4 in the states).

Why is this so? Logistics is one main reason .. um .. 99% of the ingredients have to be shipped in. Then why would Bermuda (vs Barbados for example) be SO SO very expensive? Not sure .. but Bermuda is highly tourist and business oriented . there is not much else there. Those of us who go on business are on expense accounts. One client pays $60 per day for food . while another pays 'reasonable costs' which comes out to 'bill dinner but no liquor' (booze is VERY high too!).

I cannot comment on the cleanliness/atmosphere of Frog and Onion that seems to appal the other poster. I can only comment that the PRICE for a basic meal .. is not horribly out of line for Bermuda.

JGR01 is correct for pointing out that ALL of Bermuda is expensive. I did not mean to imply that just this particular spot was outragious on their prices.

By comparison of other places, we may have even received a bargain at that time at that price. I was just stating what we paid. It was just a shock for us and as JGR01 had said, we all do have to be remiinded that THIS is THEIR means of living...Tourism.

I won't budge on the candle wax though, that was nasty. We go back to Bermuda in November and I am sure I am going to get another shocker...as we want to eat at the Swizzle Inn. But this time I am prepared and know what to expect. Last time was my first time in Bermuda and I think we all go through that initial shock of how much things cost.

Optifire .. when you say to 'eat' at Swizzle Inn .. I have never heard that specific phrase before.

I have not been there (never a moped in town and cab from Hamilton is $$) so my comments will be totally from hearsay.

Swizzle Inn is the stop-off before and after the airport. You flying to London on the BA evening flight .. stop at Swizzle for many Dark & Stormy's .. that will deaden the pain of BA Economy. Travelers need to be 'pulled away' in order to make their connection they have such a good time!

The BA flight when it comes in ... lots of people who are met by local friends will also head to Swizzle for Welcome BACK drinnky.

I have never heard 'eat' and 'Swizzle Inn' used together! Best of luck!

I only know Hamilton area restaurants .. and the Waterloo House restaurant, the Harbour Front, The Barracuda, The Pickeled Onion, L'Oriental, and the Fairmont Princess hotel main dining room are all GREAT food .. without too many 'touristy' issues.

Be aware November is the start of off-season so there will not be Harbour Night (Wed night) where they block off Front Street for the tourists.

We had lunch at the Frog and Onion on Tuesday, 7/12/05. My wife had the bangers and mash and I had the Cornish Pasty. If you are looking for something different that you won't get on the ship, I can recommend these two dishes. (If you want a burger, why not have one on the ship for free?).

Yes, it was expensive but probably no more expensive than a burger at someplace "toursty" in midtown Manhattan.

Remember that gratuity is built in to the bill. Just like on the ship.

Why is this so? Logistics is one main reason .. um .. 99% of the ingredients have to be shipped in. Then why would Bermuda (vs Barbados for example) be SO SO very expensive? Not sure .. but Bermuda is highly tourist and business oriented . there is not much else there. Those of us who go on business are on expense accounts. One client pays $60 per day for food . while another pays 'reasonable costs' which comes out to 'bill dinner but no liquor' (booze is VERY high too!).

The main reasons why food in Bermuda is expensive comes down to three main things: food is shipped in, rents are astronomical, and wages are high. This means that restaurant owners don't have much of a choice about their prices - if the food was much cheaper they'd go out of business. I'm not sure what restaurant workers make in Bermuda but a pizza delivery guy makes $12/hour, and you'd barely be able to scratch out a living at that wage. I'm sure waitresses in restaurants are making around that much as well.

Swizzlev2.0:

Thanks so much for giving us the insight as to why things cost so much. It shocked me to learn how much a pizza delivery man made. I never realized that wages were paid at that high of a rate in Bermuda.

JGR01:

The Swizzle Inn is located in Hamilton in the heart of Baileys Bay. The airport is only 1/4 mile away and the Aqarium and Zoo and St. George is only 10 minutes in either direction. If you don't want to spend $$ to get there, You could take the Bus routes, 1-3-10- or 11, they all go right past the Swizzle Inn. Everyone on the boards talks about the Swizzle Inn as one of the stops not to miss for their Rum Swizzles, and also their food and atmosphere. They even won the 2005 Best Pub Food Award this year. In case you want to check it out, their site is http://www.swizzleinn.com

Polydonald:

When you were at there did they have the candle wax all over, you didnt mention anything about that? It was the room where the big fireplace was.

Swizzlev2.0:

Thanks so much for giving us the insight as to why things cost so much. It shocked me to learn how much a pizza delivery man made. I never realized that wages were paid at that high of a rate in Bermuda.

Needs to be high, a crummy studio apartment can run you $1,200-$1,400 a month, a decent one would be $1,500-1,800. You can't pay that kind of rent making $6 an hour so restaurants have to pay more or no one would work for them. Even then most restaurants use foreign workers as Bermudians can usually make better money in hotels or construction. Even bagging groceries could get you $20/hr on a good shift.

We ate at the Frog and Onion last week and would recommend it. We were not on a cruise and there were no cruise ships in port so we were able to just walk right in. I imagine this restaurant is quite popular on the days the ships are in port so just keep that in mind. The food was quite good, and I wish I had seen the t-shirts but we were in a hurry to see Dolphin Quest before it closed. Have fun on your trip.

Ate there for lunch a couple of times. As some people have said its good decent pub grub with maybe a twist. A couple of good British beers on tap. Most of the time we went later in the evening when things begin to swing. A lot of the crew comes over for a few pints along with a few the have docked there boats. They also have music (rock & roll). For me it's the atmosphere later in the evening (9:30 or after). So go and have some fun. You never know who you might meet.

Was there last May....was different that is for sure. I wish I could say I liked it...but sorry I didnt. I think what turned me was they had these large candle holders everywhere that apparently held large candles that they lit...but the wax from the candles melting was everywhere...and they never cleaned it up...and it looked like it was months worth of wax...because it would be piled from the floor up the candle arms and stand which was about 5 feet. It was not very appetizeing.

Group of 4 our us..each had a hamburger, fries and coke. Came to $80.00.

This November we are going again, but ship will be docked there, so we will pass on the Frog and the Onion this time for sure.

We have eaten at the Frog & Onion several times a year and have always had good food and service. It is interesting that what you find offensive (candle wax everywhere) is what I call adding character to the restaurant. I love the huge fireplace. To each his own!

Archived