Live from the Viking Rinda

Rufusk

Sunny but cool to cold has certainly been the order of the day for the past two days. The wind has been quite biting but they tell us this is much more seasonable.

Yesterday was the day for castles, castles and more castles. We cruised down the middle Rhine through the section that has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage site. It was quite amazing sliding past one village after another, virtually all surrounded, or at least beside, vineyards all showing their fall colours. Atop nearby hillsides stood fortress after fortress (not sure what the difference is between castle and fortress so perhaps that should have said castle after castle), all in varying states of repair. In some areas you could see at least 3 or 4 at once, on different hilltops.

Fortunately or unfortunately there were no sirens at Lorelei Rock, only the swift flowing river, steep black cliffs and slate statue of Lorelei sitting serenely while awaiting all to draw near.

We arrived at Braubach around 2:30 for the excursion to go to Marksburg Castle. We were advised that it would be quite difficult for anyone with mobility issues so I elected not to go. They did offer that we could go and walk up to the castle and then wait for an hour and a half at the gift shop but I opted out. I had hoped to try the scooter but later my wife told me that I wouldn't have been able to go through the castle. She said that a number of people opted out after the walk up the hill to the gift shop as it was quite steep. Within the castle itself she said it would be difficult to walk for anyone with mobility issues, likening it to walking on a stony/rocky beach; one really needs one's balance. She also said that on some staircases she had to walk sideways as the steps were very narrow. So I settle for her tales and pictures/video clips that others have posted.

We continued downstream for about 30 minutes to Koblenz where we tied up at the Viking dock at German Corner. I scooted around the large park taking in the vistas and exploring the old walls and buildings in the area. After my wife returned we took the aerial tram up to the fortress - well worth the 6 1/2 € each. Unfortunately there wasn't time to visit the fortress as it and the tram closed at 6 so after tootling around the top we took a sunset ride back down to the river park. The tram, BTW, is only about 200 metres from the ship. For those that are interested the aerial tram and the whole park area at German Corner, is fully accessible as are the paths up at the fortress.

Today we were in Cologne. Again cold with the wind. We did a city tour, all walking, and again chose the easy walking group. One of the reasons for this group is that it avoids stairs, and if possible, hills, making it reasonable for most of those joining this group. There are some wonderful archaeological excavations occurring and will be for the next while as they continue the dig and prepare a new museum to house the artefacts. There are numerous Roman towers, wall portions and even part of an old sewage system leading underground a ways. It's not accessible so we couldn't check it out but we did find many of the above.

There's also a wonderful museum museum devoted to Roman time here and outside of it are quite a number of objects from various walls, columns, etc. well worth seeking out if you enjoy it.

We tried to visit the NS Document Center but it wasn't accessible so we could only view the outside and contemplate the past. The highlight though was the Cathedral. I believe it's the largest in Germany and has been constructed over literally hundreds of years. The stained glass windows date from the 1200s with others being installed at various eras right up to the present era (the last set were quite controversial but you be the judge as to whether you like them or not). The towers rise over 150 metres (500 ft) into the air. The inner height is up to 50 metres (140 ft). I think our guide said it cost 300€ per day for upkeep.

It's certainly quite awe inspiring.

Couple of comments, it's getting quite a bit colder so I would revise my earlier comment about dress in the dining room. A number of people have been putting on thicker sweaters these past few days so you might want to bring one, just in case. This evening is the Captain's dinner. I didn't bring a sport coat because most of the comments I read said they weren't necessary. I agree they're not necessary but I do feel a bit under dressed tonight as I'd say at least 50% of the guys are wearing a sports coat. Ties are a bit rarer but many of them are wearing them.

Some were asking for pictures. Though I haven't been able to post any I did find this video clip on the Rinda that someone else posted. Some of you might enjoy it.

The crew has continued to be excellent in virtually all capacities and they truly do make this cruise a very positive experience. Ok, our disembarkation briefing is about to begin. Seems to have gone so fast and it's hard to believe that in two days we'll be on the plane heading home....sigh

Home again, home again jiggedy jig jig.

Final update from the Rinda trip.

The last day was cool and raining lightly as we stopped at Kinderdjik. It's a busy little road, but a short distance away are 16 windmills, all built in the 1700s! One was operating (i.e. turning) while we were there and one is open for exploration. I could drive my scooter up to this latter one but unfortunately, with no hand rails and narrow stairwells I couldn't manage to get in to get a look. My wife did and was quite amazed by it, especially when contemplating raising a family within its close confines. After viewing the windmill and stopping for pictures we meandered back to the entrance area where a video and talk were held about the dikes and the windmills. Obviously I'm still living in the past as the areas the guide was describing as newly created land I thought were still under water. Quite amazing what they've accomplished! After everyone was back we were back on board to sail for Amsterdam. Unfortunately we got in too late to do any off ship exploring and the next morning was taken up with leaving. Ahh well, Amsterdam will have to wait til next time.

The next day was organized chaos as different cabins all vacated at different times; some using Viking transfers, some going to extend their trip, some taking cabs to the airport. At the same time, new passengers were boarding! Although it sounds hectic, it really wasn't. They do have this down to an art. 9 couples were staying on for the next voyage from Amsterdam to Basel. Those departing were given different coloured tags, depending on their time of departure. People were asked to put their luggage out half an hour before their departure. The luggage was taken out to the bus area where people were asked to identify their luggage before it was put on the bus. Henrietta, the Program Director, and two crew were there to assist with loading the luggage and saying goodbye to the passengers. It was a nice touch, that seemed very real, when Henrietta boarded the bus for one last goodbye. It seemed quite heartfelt. We left and were thinking about the positive experience. The bus driver asked which airline we were going on and I told him, KLM. Others were different airlines. He said it's a big airport and you need to get to the right departure terminal. He said that we would all go to departure 3. "No", I told him, "we're going to departure 2, I checked it online this morning." He said he was told we were all going to 3. I again reiterated that we wanted departure 2 but he wouldn't let us off there. We cruised by number 2, only to stop at #3 and then after getting out, the two Viking reps asked us which airline. When I told them, they pointed back at departure 2 and told us that's where we needed to walk back to. I didn't say anything to them but I certainly wasn't pleased. We piled what we could onto the scooter and we dragged our stuff to the correct departure area. At least it wasn't sandy like when Viking dropped us off a the wrong ship on the first day of the cruise. I was not happy. We could have got a cab for far less than we'd paid Viking for these transfers AND the cab would have dropped us off at the correct location.

Once we found our section where we were to do our self check in we found there were sufficient KLM attendants there to assist with any questions and direct us to the proper places.

The airport process was relatively straightforward and we found that KLM was most happy to assist and answer what questions they could

A few words about the tipping process. I've read a number of comments about tipping. Some support the procedure, some are against it. Personally I was somewhat concerned with how the Viking staff would handle the whole issue. I had read that they tack it on to your bill and it seemed to be a very public affair. I found it to be quite the contrary. I think the staff handled it very well. You are given two envelopes, the night before with your departure package. One envelope is marked 'staff', one is marked 'program director'. What you put in the envelopes is your business. When we paid our ship board bill, I did it in cash (to get rid of my Euros) and I don't even recall if she said anything about a tip or not. I volunteered that I would like to offer one and that I wanted to put it on my charge card. No problems. She thanked me very much and that was the end of it. I could have said I'm putting it in the envelope and that, too, would have been that end of it. No one would know whether I gave one or not. However, both my wife and I sincerely believe they warranted a tip. Before we left for Europe I was thinking that there was no way they would justify the suggested tip. But I was proven wrong. In so many ways, big and little, the staff bent over to try and make everyone's trip a positive experience. They went out of their way to accommodate their guests and, did it with a smile. Their staff truly do make the voyage. We also ended up giving several tips to other crew members. This is not something I would normally do. That should tell you a bit about the crew. We're going to miss them and the Rinda, but as was stated, the world is small, perhaps we will meet again.

They went out of their way to accommodate their guests and, did it with a smile. Their staff truly do make the voyage

First, thanks for your informative updates. Regarding the crew, that's been our experience on our past Viking River cruises and looking forward to the same on our upcoming cruise in December.

Archived