Oddest story from a cruise ..

kmarie10531

So I've been on quite a few cruises now and I have numerous stories that are stuck in the "vault" yet on in particular sticks out the most ..

Here's mine

It was on my second cruise in 2006 my parents and I were sitting in the MDR for lunch . We were seated at a 10 person table . Shortly after ordering our drinks 5 older women were seated with us . Now before I go any further I do have to admit I absolutely love talking with older people .. I mean I LOVE it . And for some reason older people just love talking to me . I have a gift I guess :-) ..

Okay back to the story .. So these sweet older women start talking to my group . The normal where are you from and what do you do was exchanged .. They were all from Alabama and a few of them were retired teachers and one was a retired nurse who just happened to sit next to me . At that time in my life ( I was a senior in high school ) I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life . My parents were "pushing" me into the direction of the medical field and I wanted to go into advertising . So of course when this woman found out she jumped right on board to talking to me about the medical field . So as lunch proceed, food was devoured and the chit chat was still in full swing .

So it was towards the end of the meal, some women did leave , others stayed including my talking buddy . So my dad decided to order another soup since it was so delicious

( Jamaican black bean) . So it was brought out he ate 3/4's of it and set it down on the table . He then began to talk to the woman I was talking to about how good the soup was .. ..

HERE IS THE GOOD PART

Then all of a sudden the woman picked up his cup of soup and began to finish eating the rest ! She sat down the cup and then said " well it was nice meeting you all have a wonderful day" and left .

Now my family is not the type of people to usually just sit back and not say anything yet for those maybe 2 minutes we said nothing . We were in complete shock. The other women that were still at the table were in shock too .

I will never forget this story and I can almost kick myself for not remembering that woman's name .

So what's your oddest story?

So I've been on quite a few cruises now and I have numerous stories that are stuck in the "vault" yet on in particular sticks out the most ..

Here's mine

It was on my second cruise in 2006 my parents and I were sitting in the MDR for lunch . We were seated at a 10 person table . Shortly after ordering our drinks 5 older women were seated with us . Now before I go any further I do have to admit I absolutely love talking with older people .. I mean I LOVE it . And for some reason older people just love talking to me . I have a gift I guess :-) ..

Okay back to the story .. So these sweet older women start talking to my group . The normal where are you from and what do you do was exchanged .. They were all from Alabama and a few of them were retired teachers and one was a retired nurse who just happened to sit next to me . At that time in my life ( I was a senior in high school ) I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life . My parents were "pushing" me into the direction of the medical field and I wanted to go into advertising . So of course when this woman found out she jumped right on board to talking to me about the medical field . So as lunch proceed, food was devoured and the chit chat was still in full swing .

So it was towards the end of the meal, some women did leave , others stayed including my talking buddy . So my dad decided to order another soup since it was so delicious

( Jamaican black bean) . So it was brought out he ate 3/4's of it and set it down on the table . He then began to talk to the woman I was talking to about how good the soup was .. ..

HERE IS THE GOOD PART

Then all of a sudden the woman picked up his cup of soup and began to finish eating the rest ! She sat down the cup and then said " well it was nice meeting you all have a wonderful day" and left .

Now my family is not the type of people to usually just sit back and not say anything yet for those maybe 2 minutes we said nothing . We were in complete shock. The other women that were still at the table were in shock too .

I will never forget this story and I can almost kick myself for not remembering that woman's name .

Knowing me, I probably would have said something:)

Several years ago as we were docking in Cozumel my group was sitting on the Lido Deck in the area that is glassed in. I was looking out the window when I see a young man do a SWAN DIVE off the ship from the deck above!!!! Not knowing he had not fallen it scared me and I screamed. Everyone rushed to the side of the boat to check on him. He was fine and was swimming to the end of the boat to get to the dock. Seems he was on a college dive team and he thought it would be "cute" to dive off the boat. However, the Mexican Police didn't think it was so cute. They immediatley picked him up in their patrol boat. The rumor was that he was not allowed back on the ship. Don't know if they took him to jail or if Carnival wouldn't let him back on. Needless to say the rest of the dive team didn't try anything like that for the rest of the cruise.

My husband and I were sitting in one of those circular sofas in the lobby (I don't remember which ship). A band was playing and there were a lot of people dancing. My husband was seated by the arm, I was next to him. A man and woman came and sat down beside me, started talking-the usual-where are you from etc. Music is loud so we aren't talking much. I look down and notice the man's leg is touching mine. So being me, i think I must have moved over moving to the music. So I do a stretch and put my arm around my husband to move my leg. Now I am watching out of the corner of my eye-yup he moves closer to me again. Then he says something to me-I can't hear because its too loud and I just said No I can't hear you. He stands up and says No? and him and his wife stomp away. That was just very weird. And meanwhile my husband thinks I was just being romantic putting my arm around him. Creepy!

On a Holland America cruise I watched as a very elderly couple approached a crew member who was eating his lunch on the Lido deck.They asked him to get them some pool towels,he stopped eating and as requested got the towels for them they offered him a $1.00 tip but he declined.

I wonder to this day if they knew he was the captain!

On a Holland America cruise I watched as a very elderly couple approached a crew member who was eating his lunch on the Lido deck.They asked him to get them some pool towels,he stopped eating and as requested got the towels for them they offered him a $1.00 tip but he declined.

I love this"

That is funny!!

On our one and only RCI cruise we were looking for our cabin and I asked a nice man in a white uniform for help. Yep, it was the Captain and darned if we didn't run into him every time we turned around! He was a hoot.

Awesome!! Customer service at its finest!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were at lunch one day in the main dining room, seated at a table for 8. I think it was day 3 of a 7 night cruise. Several of the people, including my husband ordered a salad with a bacon dressing. The waiter brought out the appetizers, but no salads. After what seemed like forever, he came back and told us that they were out of the bacon dressing, so my DH changed his dressing to ranch. The waiter comes back and says they are out of ranch. We were laughing pretty hard at this point. Seriously, how do they run out of all the dressings 3 days into a cruise? Not that crazy, but it was funny.

We were on A 16 day TA and were part of a table of 8. A couple next to the window were in a 2 top. I noticed them and they looked very uncomfortable. The second night of the cruise I sat at the end of the table that was next to them and started a conversation. They said that they were from Wales and this was their first cruise and it was their 25th Anniversary and they were scared because their cabin was haunted ! I asked them how it was haunted....well, first of all a man was always lingering inthe Hall outside their door and it bothered them..then everytime they open their curtains on their picture window...by time they sit down the curtains close by themselves. Their shoes disappear etc...so I asked if my husband and I could go back to their cabin with them after dinner...they were fine with that....so after dinner they brought us to their 2 bedroom suite which was at the bow of the ship over the bridge. I then introduced them to their private butler and explained how the officer of the Bridge has a button he can push to close their curtains so that their light from the room doesn't reflect onto the water infront of the ship. They totally enjoyed the rest of the cruise ;)

Several years ago we saw something we still laugh about today.

We were on the Carnival Glory and every night they had a band where many would gather to dance. There was an older gentleman (80 +) who always seemed to have a bevy of equally older women hanging on his every word as he told these elaborate stories. He was the only male in the group of women so he would favor each one with a dance every evening.

I'm sure he was quite the dancer in his time but due to his age he kept trying moves that seemed very risky. I kept remarking to my husband that Don Juan was going to fall if he didn't cut it out.

Well on the last night of the cruise we got there early to watch the "show". One of the ladies was feeling no pain because we noticed she kept drinking out of wine glass that had been empty for awhile.....:eek:. Well guess who Don Juan asked to dance? He was really getting into it and after he twirled her about two times down they both went......landing with her on top of him in a compromising position (if you know what I mean).."..:eek:

It was like watching a train wreck...you knew it was coming, you just couldn't look away....:o

On my very first cruise I went off wondering with these two girls my group had met up on the lido deck while doing the Cupid shuffle (my bestie was tko by this point as were our two guy friends) anyways we wondered around the ship and eventually made it to dinner. Through out dinner I kept talking to this table of guys on the other side of the glass partition(they were all cute pilots in the Air Force) ..anyways desert comes around and I ask the guy next to me how his was (he had gotten cream brûlée) and he said it wasn't that good, well I had gotten the chocolate melting cake and it was awesome so I stuck my spoon back in my desert and said well mine is delicious, have some and proceeded to feed him a bite of my desert. The next day I remembered all if this (unfortunately) and told my bestie all about it. Dinner was awkward I couldn't look at the guy I was so embarrassed, even though my bestie told me he kept looking over at me... I finally said something to him at desert...said hope you desert is good bc I'm not sharing mine tonight...lol! Anyways we had fun joking about it all cruise.

Disclaimer: This happened when I had just turned 21. I was wild and crazy!

I was on a short 4 day cruise with my friends. We were in Cozumel the WHOLE day (til 10pm) and spent the majority of it at an all inclusive beach club..then finished off at Carlos and Charlies. I barely remember getting back on the ship....then remember waking up in my friend's cabin at 2am....I don't remember anything in between.

The next day my friend and I went to relax in the hot tub and this couple asked how we were feeling this morning and that they had SO much fun with us the night before. We had NO idea who they were. We clearly looked confused, and they asked if we were the ones at the beach club, then we hung out at the pool bar after we were back in the ship. We were the ones they were taling about, but we didn't remember these people at all.

I'm glad I'm still alive to tell this story! Man, I was dumb!

P.S. I wasnt able to drink tequila for 3 years after this specific trip!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Here's mine

HERE IS THE GOOD PART

Years ago, on a Carnival ship, we were introduced to a large group 12 or so individuals. Our first encounter was at check in. The entire group was pretty well lit even at that point. They actually had a cooler. Didn't think too much about it at that point

The second night at dinner is when it got interesting. About 10 minutes after the doors opened there was a bit of ruckus going on. Here come this group from checkin in FULL AMERICAN INDIAN dress. The women had the briefest of loin cloths as did the men. As they entered they were doing a dancing, singing chanting thing. Two men had tom toms. If it could not get any weirder all the women laid down on the floor. The men then straddled the women and did a gyrate bump and grind all the whole yelling some ancient hunting ground words There was dead silence in the entire MDR. Everyone, including every crew member stood with mouths open at what they had just witnessed.

Finally an officer did some crisis control. The group left the room. The next night, and every night thereafter they were well dressed and well behaved. We had even money that they would be put off the ship but guess not.

We were eating breakfast in the Lido on the Eurodam and a woman came to join the group seated next to us but there was no room for her at their table. I realized they were speaking Hebrew so I told her she could sit with us if she would let my husband practice his Hebrew (we live in rural California but my husband lived in Israel when he was young and we visit friends there every few years). We asked her where she lived and she said a town next to friends of ours, so we asked her if she knew them. She looked at us and said "You live in California and I know all about you!" She was our friend's best friend!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

My wife and I cruised the Mexican Rivera on the Pride in July of 2006. When we were in Cabo we came back to the ship early for lunch. After lunch my wife took a nap and I went to the Lido deck aft by the pool. I was sitting just under the overhang by the bar when the DJ set up for the afternoon. There were 6 of us sitting there when he started the music. A couple of minutes later two younger women came out in matching brown bikinis and started dancing around the pool. They were able to wear the bikinis--if you know what I mean. They both had drinks in glasses. The longer they danced the more R rated their dancing became. After 10 minutes one of the officers came and took their glasses from them-safety reasons since they were near the pool. The word quickly spread around the ship-after 15-20 minutes there must have been 100 men on the aft lido watching them. After 30 minutes or so one song ended and they bowed to applause and left. That night in the main dining room they both came in with their significant others and half of the men in the dining room started applauding. The two women looked around, acknowledged the applause and went to their table. One of the funniest things I ever saw!

Our first cruise, June, 1978. We docked in Dominican Republic, the week prior was elections. Current president was defeated and he had his military storm the elections and destroyed the ballots.

So, we were kind of on an island that was about to have a civil war.

We sailed out of Baltimore, Md on the old Celebrity Galaxy in April of 2005. The ship was delayed coming into the port a few hours, and because there was no terminal, everyone had to wait in the cold, windy weather. Our first port was Charleston, South Carolina. We got off the ship early and took the ferry to Ft. Sumter. When we came back, we planned to walk around old Charleston because the ship had docked within very easy walking distance. We thought we would just drop some things off at our cabin and head out. But, when we took the elevator to the disembarkation area, there was a large crowd there, and everyone was telling us no one could get off the ship and we should go back to the upper decks.

We went to the pool deck and noticed that the Coast Guard was now on board with guns and dogs and they were NOT answering any questions. Finally, the Captain came on the loud speaker to let everyone know....that the ship would be leaving port immediately...no passengers would be allowed to reboard...we would be escorted out to international waters where we would stay for about three hours,and then we would be allowed to return and pick up the passengers left behind. The explanation was that to land in a US port, documents had to be in the Coast Guards hands 48 hours before landing. We had been at sea one day and, the Captain assured us that the proper documents had been transmitted in plenty of time....,but the Coast Guard said no!

Medical staff was off-loaded, along with a couple who were getting married. At that point, the ship's horn was blown. Standing on the pool deck and watching panicked passengers running for the ship was very terrifying.We finally returned to the port at about 7:00 to pick up passengers.

When we came home, I did look at a Charleston paper online. The city was very upset, not only because of the revenue lost, but that the ship was allowed to land in the first place, and then stay until noon!

Later in that cruise the weather was sooooo rough leaving the Bahamas, that it was almost impossible to offload the harbor pilot. There was an announcement made that women should not wear heels and as an extra precaution, rope would be placed around the ship for extra handholds. And then, that night when we went to the casino, we were actually given a standing ovation. There apparently were so many seasick, that there were very few people heading for dinner. When we got to the dining room, they were combining people at tables to make it easier for the waiters to serve. We had an officer at our table who keep getting bottles of wine and sharing it! My husband and I boat a lot and never get seasick!!!

Not a funny story, but definitely an odd one!

My husband and I were sitting in one of those circular sofas in the lobby (I don't remember which ship). A band was playing and there were a lot of people dancing. My husband was seated by the arm, I was next to him. A man and woman came and sat down beside me, started talking-the usual-where are you from etc. Music is loud so we aren't talking much. I look down and notice the man's leg is touching mine. So being me, i think I must have moved over moving to the music. So I do a stretch and put my arm around my husband to move my leg. Now I am watching out of the corner of my eye-yup he moves closer to me again. Then he says something to me-I can't hear because its too loud and I just said No I can't hear you. He stands up and says No? and him and his wife stomp away. That was just very weird. And meanwhile my husband thinks I was just being romantic putting my arm around him. Creepy!

Your's is the third story I've heard this month about someone being approached on board for some maritime spouse swapping.

kmarie

HERE IS THE GOOD PART

Okay - I just had to comment because that sounded like a date i went on years ago with a guy mom thought was cool because he was a naval officer. We went to a restaurant and were seated near another couple. They had wine with them, and we were talking a bit and they offered us some of the wine. We said thank you, and continued our meal, and later on, my date calmly reached over to their table, refilled our glasses and continued talking. I was in shock as was the other couple, and I sort of shrugged. Needless to say, we didn't go out again.

Heading out on the Dream November 2nd. Will let you know if I encounter any craziness.

I have another. On one particular cruise the cruise director, and most of his social staff were shall we say gay and witty. Most nights the CD and his people could be found at one lounge or another giggling, touching, and tramping.

One afternoon, at the pool, the CD and "friend" were sitting at a table. About then a young woman in a bikini decided she was going to make him a heterosexual. She started a come hither dance chasing him around the pool. At one point she untied the strap to her top. She chased him to an outdoor shower where she did a bump and grind.

The CD AND the entire social staff were put off at Nassau.

Archived