Sun Review - October 9th - Southern

sonicbuffalo

DSC_3363_5853.jpg

Ginny (right) and Donna talking in the observation lounge 12th deck

DSC_3364_5854.jpg

More pictures of the observation deck....nice and quiet...good place to hang out

DSC_3365_5855.jpg

DSC_3366_5856.jpg

Mike, Donna's husband....both real good friends and very fun to hang out with

DSC_3369_5859.jpg

My Ginny talking to Donna and Mike

DSC_3370_5860.jpg

DSC_3401_5657.jpg

We had to stop and wait for that ship to leave before we could dock...slight delay...no big deal. We got into Aruba at around 1 pm.

DSC_3402_5658.jpg

The tourist area of Aruba as we inched closer to port.

DSC_3404_5660.jpg

We hung out and shopped with our French Canadian friends from Montreal, Richard and Madolyn....sorry if I spelled her name wrong...she was a sweetheart and we had fun walking all through the shops.

DSC_3405_5661.jpg

Mike and Donna from St. Louis....they were going to do a tour of the island. Ginny and I went with Richard and Mado since we had taken a tour before of Aruba.

DSC_3406_5662.jpg

DSC_3408_5664.jpg

Those busses blend in well to the paint scheme of the Sun

DSC_3425_5463.jpg

DSC_3426_5464.jpg

DSC_3427_5465.jpg

Ernie, our friend and Kenny Byrd, who had performed the night before, and was very good. One night we spotted Kenny in the Garden Cafe, and he came over to our table and we talked and he entertained us until about 1 am. He was a great class act and a lot of fun. He was getting off the ship in Curacao and going home to Buffalo before going back out. Ernie is married to Pat and was one of our friends onboard.

DSC_3428_5466.jpg

DSC_3429_5467.jpg

Ginny and I

DSC_3431_5469.jpg

One big happy group....we enjoyed everyones company....in Curacao Mike, Donna, and I believe Richard and Maddo were all doing the Irie Tours party bus.

I've been posting so many pictures I haven't had time to tell you about the entertainment each night. On day 1, we had a sampler of the Tribute to Frankie Vallie and The Four Seasons, and the ventriloquisim of Kenny Byrd, as well as a preview number from the Sun Production Cast.

Day 2 - Sea Day - In the Stardust each night is what I'm reviewing. We had the Sun Production cast and the Sun Showband provide 'The Look of Love; The Music of Burt Bacharach. I'd give this show about a 5 unless you love BB.

Day 3 - Sea Day - Terrance B - Hypnotist - He pulled people out of the audience and I'd give this seemingly fake show a 3. Not too impressed.

Day 4 - Cartegena - A Tribute to Frankie Vallie....boy these guys could sing and were well choreographed. We really enjoyed this show!

Day 5 - Aruba - Kenny Byrd - ventriloquiism - I'm prejudiced at this show since we got to know Kenny before his performance....We did enjoy his act, and he is very good at what he does. I highly recommend going to see his show.

Day 6 - Curacao - Comedian Dan Friesen - We thought he was very talented and it rated a PG.....didn't need to talk dirty to be funny! We liked him...crazy guy!

Day 7 - At Sea - Acrobats Donavan and Rebecca - Impressed with some things but Donavan doesn't need to sing. Just play a sound track. Rated a 4

Day 8 - St. Martin - Production Show Encore - We all seemed to enjoy the cast and their dancing and singing abilities. It was a good show. Rated a 9

Day 9 - St. Thomas - Scotty Cavanaugh - juggler/comedian - we all enjoyed his show too, and I'd rate him a 7....he was funny and talented.

Day 10 - at Sea - Sun Production Cast - Rock You Tonight - The Show was too loud, and although the dancing was good, the sound mix was horrible. I would rate this a 5

Day 11 - at Sea - El Gaucho - This guy was amazing. He could play the piano, play the guitar, and he was genuinely funny. He had these balls that he slapped on the wooden platform, and he was good. I'd give him an 8.

Overall we liked the entertainment better than last year on the Carnival Breeze.

Thank you for an interesting review! Do you remember if the shops in Aruba were mostly open or closed, since it was a Sunday?

Well....let me say this...one of the reasons we wanted to go shopping this time in Aruba was because the last time we were there, like this time, we arrived at 1 pm. We went on Bully's taxi tour and by the time we got back, the stores were all closed. This time we skipped a tour since we had already been all over the island....see my links for the pictures and review from last time.

The stores were 98% open on this Sunday. I beleive they start closing early on Sunday's but we went into a lot of stores. I just didn't take many pictures of the insides of the stores. Most of the shopping is done on the main street, which is an easy walk. Thanks for asking. Hope you are enjoying the review and pictures!

Well....let me say this...one of the reasons we wanted to go shopping this time in Aruba was because the last time we were there, like this time, we arrived at 1 pm. We went on Bully's taxi tour and by the time we got back, the stores were all closed. This time we skipped a tour since we had already been all over the island....see my links for the pictures and review from last time.

The stores were 98% open on this Sunday. I beleive they start closing early on Sunday's but we went into a lot of stores. I just didn't take many pictures of the insides of the stores. Most of the shopping is done on the main street, which is an easy walk. Thanks for asking. Hope you are enjoying the review and pictures!

Thank you! Like you, we have been on tours there before, but always arrived much earlier and on weekdays, so it wasn't hard to find shops open afterward. I guess we'll have to shop pretty much right away when we get there in December! So glad to hear you enjoyed your Sun cruise, and your photos are terrific! Not hard to understand why they are happy islands!

Sonicbuffalo, at the beginning you said this was your best cruise ever...I'm curious, was it because of the cruise line, or the ports, or a combination of both??

For me, it was the combination of getting lucky and finding people to hang out with that we really enjoyed being with, and the ports. The ship was also in great shape and we enjoyed many aspects of it. The staff was great and except for a few dining room mistakes, they did a good job. I've had better service on Carnival in the dining rooms, and missed out on having Filet Mignon, like on Carnival. We did love the freestyle aspect and I ate with my shorts on everynight. I love being comfortable while I eat. The Cruise Director was great too, and he always closed the shows by letting us know he had yet another story to tell (jokes). We also had been to most of the ports except Cartegena, but took tours with the other folks we had made friends with because we got good deals and we enjoyed their company plus we saw a few things we hadn't seen before. We really did have the best cruise ever. It will be hard to beat. Thanks to Mike, Donna, Richard, Madolyn, Ernie and Pat. They were terrific.

For me, it was the combination of getting lucky and finding people to hang out with that we really enjoyed being with, and the ports. The ship was also in great shape and we enjoyed many aspects of it. The staff was great and except for a few dining room mistakes, they did a good job. I've had better service on Carnival in the dining rooms, and missed out on having Filet Mignon, like on Carnival. We did love the freestyle aspect and I ate with my shorts on everynight. I love being comfortable while I eat. The Cruise Director was great too, and he always closed the shows by letting us know he had yet another story to tell (jokes). We also had been to most of the ports except Cartegena, but took tours with the other folks we had made friends with because we got good deals and we enjoyed their company plus we saw a few things we hadn't seen before. We really did have the best cruise ever. It will be hard to beat. Thanks to Mike, Donna, Richard, Madolyn, Ernie and Pat. They were terrific.

It really is wonderful when you connect with people on board who start off as strangers and end up as friends.

In 2009 my mom and I cruised on the Sun and play trivia every session. We made a team woth two couples. One couple was from Canada. Another from Australia. We sre Texans. Loved spending time with these wonderful folks. In addition to trivia there were get togethers for dinner or chilling on our aft balcony. We have kept in touch via email and facebook. Imagine our surprise when we ran into our Canadian friends on the Sun in March. The team was back in business! We missed our Aussie friends!

There are other stories, other friends, other memories.

So glad you had the same!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It really is wonderful when you connect with people on board who start off as strangers and end up as friends.

In 2009 my mom and I cruised on the Sun and play trivia every session. We made a team woth two couples. One couple was from Canada. Another from Australia. We sre Texans. Loved spending time with these wonderful folks. In addition to trivia there were get togethers for dinner or chilling on our aft balcony. We have kept in touch via email and facebook. Imagine our surprise when we ran into our Canadian friends on the Sun in March. The team was back in business! We missed our Aussie friends!

There are other stories, other friends, other memories.

So glad you had the same!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That's awesome! Cool that you met them again!