Juneau shore excursion question

rfholcom

I have booked Captain Larry for 9:30 in the morning. Carnival is in Juneau for about 14 hours. We will return from whale watching around 1:00. I am thinking of doing the panning for gold and gold creek salmon bake at 5-8. I would also like to do the Tram and Mendenhall glacier between 1 and 5. Would this be possible? Can we easily do the tram in 1 - 1 1/2 hours and do Mendenahall glacier on the bus in 1-1 1/2 hours? Or is this too much? I have a car rented but I am rethinking this decision.

We just got back today (Diamond Princess).

I think you are pushing it too much. If you get up early on the way to Juneau (6:00 a.m.) and go to the front of the ship with your binoculars and camera you will see whales within the hour. We had read this from Budget Queen and she was right on. We saw two pods - probably a dozen or so whales. Two came right next to the ship and we got excellent video (making it unnecessary to have a whale excursion as far as I was concerned - we did not have one booked).

We rented a car from rent a wreck, paid the extra to have them park it in the garage. When we got off the ship we walked the 3 or 4 blocks to the garage and picked up the car. We were so far ahead of other visitors, we were driving away as most were still loading into buses or taxi's. We went out to Mendenhall Glacier and took the Loop 3 hike - saw a porcupine and heard reports of bears. Then we drove out to Eagle Beach. Beautiful, easy drive.

When we saw eagles we were able to pull over and see them, when we wanted to stop at a Safeway store for souveniers we got them. We returned the car to the garage and had plenty of time to go to the Red Dog Saloon, do some window shopping...

If you want to do a salmon bake I would do the rail and trail in Skagway - it is a beautiful train ride, they take you to Liarsville for a salmon bake, show and gold panning.

These are just my opinions. Vacation is tiring - you aren't sleeping in your own bed, you stay up late, you get up early. Try to balance out your days so you can ENJOY and remember what you did during the day.

For the best use of time, IF you want a whale watch and Mendenhall, get a drop off/pick up in combo, this saves an hour of shuttle time. With your full day, your list is possible? I would plan the morning for the glacier and whale watch, then afternoon, tram, easy to just hop on from the docks and you probably won't need all that time at the salmon bake. Take the loop buses independent that go from the dock.

We just got back today (Diamond Princess).

If you get up early on the way to Juneau (6:00 a.m.) and go to the front of the ship with your binoculars and camera you will see whales within the hour. We had read this from Budget Queen and she was right on. We saw two pods - probably a dozen or so whales. Two came right next to the ship and we got excellent video (making it unnecessary to have a whale excursion as far as I was concerned - we did not have one booked).

Mom, this is GREAT news. I really want to see whales in August, but am having problems justifying the $200 extra those tours cost. The second problem is that I agree about vacations being relaxing. Not being a morning person, were there whales visible from the ship later in the day - or was this when you were coming in to port? I'll get up early if I Have To, but would like to make sure its worth it.:)

Mom, this is GREAT news. I really want to see whales in August, but am having problems justifying the $200 extra those tours cost. The second problem is that I agree about vacations being relaxing. Not being a morning person, were there whales visible from the ship later in the day - or was this when you were coming in to port? I'll get up early if I Have To, but would like to make sure its worth it.:)

This is early sailing into Juneau. In May I was up at dawn and spent at least 5 hours prior to Juneau at the front deck. Saw over 25 humpbacks. NONE within 2 hours of Juneau. If you have an early departure, spend some time out front with a good pair of binoculars and good luck. :)

Archived