Otterbox Armor.. or waterproof housing for Canon SD230

SmudgeCat

Hi!

I would love to be able to take some shots while snorkeling underwater or at the beach without worrying about water/ sand, and I can't decide between a waterproof cell phone case like the Otterbox Armor or a waterproof housing for my actual camera. I have read some reviews of LifeProof cases for phones but would love some feedback about the Armor if anyone has used one. I've also debated about just forking up the money to get the waterproof housing for my little Canon SD230HS. It's not officially available in the U.S. per Canon (go figure), but there are a few photography stores online that sell it although it's more than twice as much as the cell phone case. (I'm extremely lucky that I'm technically up for a new phone, and if it got ruined on the cruise I wouldn't be devastated. I'm holding off on my upgrade until January for that very reason.) The Canon would give me clearly better pictures and video, but the cell phone case would give me more portability.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :) Thank you!

Thank you, Nole0202! :D Something like the Canon D20? Thanks again!

The Canon takes great shots, but is an odd, bulky size and the most expensive.

You can get the Nikon, Olympus, Sony or Panasonic for less money and about the same quality with a smaller size.

We have been using UW compacts for the past several years. They come in very handy in wet, dust, snow, etc. and all are shockproof, so they can take a drop.

Google waterproof cameras and you will find many independent reviews.

Costco and SAMs have the best prices, or order thru Amazon to avoid taxes.

Archived