Any recent Voyager report?

Mr Retired

Thank you for the info, Patti22.

We will be on Lufthansa.

I sure hope we have a jet way!

I'm surprised an airport as large as Frankfurt would have such a set-up.

I do not look forward to toting a lot of luggage up a flight of stairs!

Travelcat2,

Have you experienced what I described coming home? Do you travel on United or Lufthansa? I would like to figure out what the variable might be. I believe we will have to go thru Frankfurt next year on Venice to Istanbul and would like to avoid this scenario. Any insight appreciated.

Patti22 or anyone else who knows!

Please expound on the problems with changing planes in Frankfurt.

We are on a flight from Stockholm and will have to change planes in Frankfurt to get back to our home in Florida.

Do we have to collect our luggage and carry it?

Do we have to recheck everything?

I thought we just had to go through passport control with our carry on luggage and show our passports.

Do we have to go through the xray machines again with our luggage if we are just changing planes (same airline - same concourse)?

Please advise!

Been thru Frankfurt 3 times in last 4 yrs, coming from the US you do NOT need to claim your luggage. You will go thru passport control a couple times in getting from the International arrivals into the other areas of the airport.

I hate this airport I think it's the pits! Long halls, dark, dirty and confusing. We had 2 hrs between flights arriving From LAX and connecting thru to Venice (Marco Polo) this was in Lufhansa. By the time we got to the gate we were almost the last to board the plane. Very very long walk so hussle!

I like to avoid Frankfurt! :)

PS yes we deplaned on the Tarmac and were bussed to the terminal so you do need to drag your carry ons off the plane and onto a jam packed bus.

Edited by nana541

Travelcat2,

Have you experienced what I described coming home? Do you travel on United or Lufthansa? I would like to figure out what the variable might be. I believe we will have to go thru Frankfurt next year on Venice to Istanbul and would like to avoid this scenario. Any insight appreciated.

We have flown Lufthansa through Frankfurt 3 or 4 times. We did have the experience of being dropped off of the bus -- not even knowing where we were suppose to go. After going through passport control and x-ray, we took the very long walk to the other side of the airport (terminal 2 to terminal 1 -- or perhaps I have the terminal numbers reversed). Again, this has only happened on our way to Europe and the Eastern Med. When returning back to the states (or, in our case, Vancouver, BC), the plane has landed at the gate in Frankfurt and we remained in the same terminal -- just changed gates. It was much easier.

Once we learned about the terminal change, passport control, long walk, etc. we were prepared for it and it wasn't quite as big of a deal as the first time.

There is a complicated explanation as to why this happens but, to be honest, I didn't understand the explanation:-)

P.S. To explain my confusion, there is something about Frankfurt airport being located in both Schengen and extra-Schengen. The post below mentions this in the last sentence. I have Googled "Schengen" and, after reading about it, decided it was easier to just tell people that going through Frankfurt was confusing and could be difficult.

February 26th, 2012, 01:06 AM

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Aug 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LH has inclined "beds" in Business class. Like AF, KL, EI and many others. British Airways, Virgin and now Swiss have 180° lie flat, totally flat beds. I find the inclined seats OK... I had read comments on Seatguru about sliding down but this didn't happen to me and I am not tall. (164cm) In fact on our flight BA to Paris on AF on one of these seats I fell asleep over southern Brazil and woke up over Spain. not bad!

I could not imagine flying any longhaul in economy. I get leg cramps and my cousin died of a thrombosis after a longhaul on Qantas in economy. Though I cannot take advantage of Regent's wonderful upgrades, and wish I could, I prefer to pay for Business and would more than happily settle for business class on LH. The only negative I have to say about it would be the airport. If you are flying via Frankfurt be prepared for a miserable connection from extra-Schengen to Schengen space. __________________

Edited by Travelcat2

Going to Rome we had a 4 hour layover. Coming back we had 50 minutes. I asked for a golf car to take us to the gate. A rep (very pleasant) showed up with a wheel chair and (didn't use it) and we went from A 21 to an elevator to Z. Went thru the border, had passports stamped and she then call for a cart. One showed up, we fastened our seatbelts and off we went. A street worthy cart it was--we almost took out a child, a stroller and several old people. We went to Z58, plane was boarding, elbowed our way to the front(business class) and settled in. The plane took off 15 minutes early. Without that cart we would never have made it. Walking fast --way too far to make it.

I have instructed our TA to NEVER EVER connect thru there again. For anyone.

And I'm still whupped!

Travelcat2 -

Glad to hear that your experience when transiting in Frankfurt has not been quite as difficult when returning back to the US!

We will be flying from Stockholm to Frankfurt to Orlando.

Do you (or anyone else!) happen to know if the Lufthansa business class lounge in Terminal 1 will require us to go through passport control and carry-on luggage check or can we just deplane and go to the lounge and then on to our next Lufthansa departure gate?

Patti2 - thank you for further explaining your experiences in Frankfurt airport.

Do you (or anyone else!) happen to know if the Lufthansa business class lounge in Terminal 1 will require us to go through passport control and carry-on luggage check or can we just deplane and go to the lounge and then on to our next Lufthansa departure gate?

Patti2 - thank you for further explaining your experiences in Frankfurt airport.

You will have to go thru passport control prior to reaching area with Lufhansia lounge. This is on the inbound flight from the US.

Travelcat2 -

Glad to hear that your experience when transiting in Frankfurt has not been quite as difficult when returning back to the US!

We will be flying from Stockholm to Frankfurt to Orlando.

I think you are saying that you are travel to the U.S. from Stockholm. If this is the case there will not be any passport control or other checks and you can go into the lounge in the terminal you arrive in. Lufthansa has more than one business class lounge.

Sadly, just off the Voyager today. Fantastic trip Venice to Istanbul. Lufthansa business class seats now do fully recline, and we did have to go through passport control/security check in Frankfurt but all went smoothly, except at first we didn't notice a gate change. Writing this while listening to the call to prayer near our Istanbul hotel near the Aya Sofia.

Sadly, just off the Voyager today. Fantastic trip Venice to Istanbul. Lufthansa business class seats now do fully recline, and we did have to go through passport control/security check in Frankfurt but all went smoothly, except at first we didn't notice a gate change. Writing this while listening to the call to prayer near our Istanbul hotel near the Aya Sofia.

Weren't you lucky with the business class seats! They must have changed them out since 11/3! Last Sunday they did not fully recline. Glad you enjoyed your Voyager cruise as much as we did. Simply put, a lovely vacation!

Weren't you lucky with the business class seats! They must have changed them out since 11/3! Last Sunday they did not fully recline. Glad you enjoyed your Voyager cruise as much as we did. Simply put, a lovely vacation!

We flew to Venice Oct. 29. Leaving Istanbul Nov. 12 via Air France. They advertise fully flat seats, which I hope is true.

I remember watching the Mariner sail away from to roof of our hotel in Istanbul, I felt so left behind. But Istanbul was magical and hearing the "call to prayer" in the early morning just before dawn will always be remembered!

Which airline are you referring to?

Lufthansa seats recline, but do not lie flat. On the night flight everyone was trying to get comfy whilst still at an angle. They are very hard--for those of us with sleep number beds, the seats are agony.

Lufthansa seats recline, but do not lie flat. On the night flight everyone was trying to get comfy whilst still at an angle. They are very hard--for those of us with sleep number beds, the seats are agony.

Thanks for the response. Yes -- I think the Lufthansa seats are the worst! I read on their website that they are being replaced with the lie flat seats. Really hoping they aren't hard:)

Thanks for the response. Yes -- I think the Lufthansa seats are the worst! I read on their website that they are being replaced with the lie flat seats. Really hoping they aren't hard:)

Yes, on the flight we had, they did fully recline. I've been on flights where they weren't fully flat and I kept fighting slowly sliding down. But they still are hard. They may not have switched all their fleet to the newer seats yet.

Yes, on the flight we had, they did fully recline. I've been on flights where they weren't fully flat and I kept fighting slowly sliding down. But they still are hard. They may not have switched all their fleet to the newer seats yet.

Thanks for the update. We are still avoiding Lufthansa at the moment. We do enjoy their food and service but do not want to risk having their angled seats. Regent uses Cathay Pacific to Asia -- we love their planes and amazing lounges. We have also flown Air Canada recently -- their pods make me think of what a coffin would be like if you were in it and alive. Very narrow seats which is okay but there are walls on either side of you. When you lie down, it is difficult move to roll over. We are trying to figure out how to deal with the seats on our upcoming 14+ hour non-stop from Sydney to Vancouver:o

Edited by Travelcat2

We flew to Venice Oct. 29. Leaving Istanbul Nov. 12 via Air France. They advertise fully flat seats, which I hope is true.

On our Regent cruise this spring that started in India we flew AF and the flat seats, service , food & wine were excellent. I'm 6'2" and had room to lay flat. We returned on a UA plane with flat seats and they were not as roomy as AF. Enjoy

I bought a sculpture on the trip to Istanbul, know the artist well and got a good price. I bargained heavily and am a collector. I am happy but the Park West "retail" prices are not accurate. Fortunately, the artist I wanted is well known and I found the actual retail easily and got 17% off, no tax and modest shipping. Frankly, it was like any other gallery.