NCL - HORRIBLE Customer Service

rhinomike

Great. Thank you so much. I thought i was out of options. That is why I love this board. I will give that a try. I will keep this thread updated if anything changes.

While I would say this is absolutely positively not your fault, at least not from everything you've said here, it does seem to advocate something I've really learned here on the boards:

Research pays off. I am taking my first cruise in March (and my second in Dec. 2014) and man, did I use these boards to research every single aspect, most especially with regards to the room options and layout.

I can only hope that you're situation is resolved. Fingers (and everything else) crossed!

Richard/Tralfie

Since your airfare is non-refundable is it possible to cruise on another cruise line that will be leaving from the same embarkation port, even if it means that you might need to say in Europe an extra day before the ship sails.

Hope you find a satisfactory solution to this problem.

We did look and try to see of we could figure out another cruise line. The problem is we are doing a week in Europe before and after the 2 week cruise. We already purchased 5 different nonrefundable airfares to tour Europe. along with some prepaid hotel rooms. We can't figure out a way to rearrange things without loosing lots of money.

We really like the Itenenary on the spirit too.

But thanks for the suggestion. It is greatly appreciated.

What you are saying is most NCL reps on the phone don't know their buttocks from their elbow. Most of those try to fake it and mis-inform. Then when you try to pin them down the excuses begin. A lot of us already knew that.

Yeah. I had to learn the hard way. Lol.

Why do you want to contact a lawyer? You're not out any money. I'm confused :confused:

I'm not sure yet. But I just feel like I have been wronged and I have to do something. I may change cruise lines and then go after NCL for all of the money I lost. I probably wont contact an attorney. I'm just upset and talking. Lol. I do not like to solve problems like that. You are just reading words from someone without options.

Two minutes on NCL's website would have told you that the Spirit doesn't have inside connecting rooms. A cursory view of Deck 10 shows me that there are no connecting "Holds 3" balconies either.

Factually that may be true, but it seems reasonable to expect the NCL reps who make reservations to do this for a living. There are all kinds of cruisers- those who research every detail like many around here, and those who pick a date and itinerary, then pick up the phone and make a reservation. One should not have to fact-check the company's customer service reps.

Am I missing something? So, the ship didn't have the accommodations you desired. Okay. You are unwilling or unable to compromise. Okay, fine. And you didn't find any of this out until after you booked the non-refundable airfare? You're saying you booked the airfare during that "3 week" period where you were waiting for a call back? Why? Instead of waiting for the unresolved details of your booking to be resolved, you went ahead and booked the airfare? Do I have this right?

Yes, you are missing something, and no you don't have it right. The OP said he made reservations, then booked the airfare the same day. Then at some later date, he learned from these forums that there was an issue and called NCL to correct it. He had his flights booked BEFORE the three week wait with NCL.

OP, I am sorry you're going through this. Sure, this is one reason why it is a good idea to study deck plans and ask questions here before booking. Other reasons may be things above or below your cabins that you don't want, etc. In my opinion though, NCL should be the experts on its own product, not us. They should find a way to fix this.

The only other suggestion would be for people to try to hold off on air bookings when possible. There are so many things that can change that you just never know. Sometimes that isn't always possible or prices make it a good idea to go ahead and book, etc. So I'm not blaming you there, just something I thought worth pointing out.

Best of luck to you on a favorable solution!

I agree that NCL seems to be wrong here, but I'm not sure what getting a lawyer or bringing this to court would do for your situation. If you're a group of two adults and four kids just do one adult and two kids in each room if you don't want the kids alone in a room that isn't connected to yours.

Two minutes on NCL's website would have told you that the Spirit doesn't have inside connecting rooms. A cursory view of Deck 10 shows me that there are no connecting "Holds 3" balconies either.

Am I missing something? So, the ship didn't have the accommodations you desired. Okay. You are unwilling or unable to compromise. Okay, fine. And you didn't find any of this out until after you booked the non-refundable airfare? You're saying you booked the airfare during that "3 week" period where you were waiting for a call back? Why? Instead of waiting for the unresolved details of your booking to be resolved, you went ahead and booked the airfare? Do I have this right?

Why didn't you just research the ship yourself and cancel the cruise before you booked the airfare? I understand the NCL rep misrepresented the ship but still, you KNEW those cabins didn't connect...

Again, knowing this, why book the airfare?

This isn't a case of "defend NCL" - its a case of wondering why you went ahead with airfare when your booking wasn't completed to your satisfaction. Cruise line doesn't matter here.

We booked the airfare the same day we booked the cruise. We didn't know there was a problem at that point. It wasn't until several days later after reading here that I started to suspect a problem.

I booked this cruise when they were updating their website. I had lots of trouble logging on and viewing things. When 2 different NCL Reps are positive your rooms are connecting you tend to believe it. In the future I will not. I just never imagined this would happen or a ship would not have connecting rooms. I guess the Spirit is different than the rest of their fleet.

I will say that after I knew there was a problem, that I booked some additional airfare. We are staying in Europe a week before and a week after our cruise. At that point I had so much invested I knew I couldn't turn back. Also I never dreamed that NCL wouldn't work this out with me.

Thanks to everyone for the support. It is greatly appreciated. It has made me feel much better. I was a little scared to post this as I have seen threads get ugly. But everyone posting has been real supportive. Thank you.

I am going to contact NCL again tomorrow. Now that I have good contact information. Hopefully we can work something out and I can update this thread with positive news.

Well it loos like the moderators moved your post from Carnival to NCL so now there are two posts here on the NCL boards.

I feel for you.....I really do. However, there are a few things that the customer/passanger should always do...........

1. Research Research and Research again

and

2. Obtain cruise and flight insurance.

Well I did make another mistake. I meant to post this on the NCL forum.... Sorry about that. Oh well. Others can read it here too and learn from my experience.

Well it loos like the moderators moved your post to where you should have posted, to NCL, so now there are two posts here on the NCL boards.

I feel for you.....I really do. However, there are a few things that the customer/passenger should always do...........

and

I agree that NCL seems to be wrong here, but I'm not sure what getting a lawyer or bringing this to court would do for your situation. If you're a group of two adults and four kids just do one adult and two kids in each room if you don't want the kids alone in a room that isn't connected to yours.

Yes. That is an option. But this is a family vacation and we want to spend our vacation together. This is our vacation of a lifetime. It s so much funner being in one room or two connecting rooms. Especially after paying nearly $10k.

Worst case this is what we will do. And we iwll make the best of it and have fun regardless.

I am sure I won't bring a lawyer into it. I don't like to resolve problems htat way. I just feel wronged and frustrated that it seems like there is nothing I can do about it.

Well it loos like the moderators moved your post to where you should have posted, to NCL, so now there are two posts here on the NCL boards.

I feel for you.....I really do. However, there are a few things that the customer/passenger should always do...........

and

I thought I had done my research. I really trusted the 2 different reps. Never imagined they did not have connecting rooms on the ship to accommodate us. Never thought this would be an issue.

I don't believe travel insurance would cover this.

But yes this is good advice.

With over 300 posts to Cruise Critic I wouldn't think you are 'new' to the internet and the resources available. I just went on NCL's website and their deck plans are there, clearly showing where connecting staterooms are available.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't have taken the time to check out the staterooms available before booking, and you would have seen that inside connecting aren't available?

With over 300 posts to Cruise Critic I wouldn't think you are 'new' to the internet and the resources available. I just went on NCL's website and their deck plans are there, clearly showing where connecting staterooms are available.

I'm wondering why you wouldn't have taken the time to check out the staterooms available before booking, and you would have seen that inside connecting aren't available?

Honestly we normally don't care much about our cabins. As long as we get connecting cabins. We normally cruise Carnival. We just call our rep and get a couple of inside connecting cabins. In 15 years it has never been an issue. I trusted the NCL rep. Now with what has happened I will do more research before booking my cabin. I guess I had to learn the hard way.

In my defense. We did try to log onto the NCL website when we booked. But they were updating their website. We had trouble logging on or 2 days.

Also being on CC I have never heard of a ship without connecting cabins to accommodate 6 people. This was a first for me. I read here Spirit is the only BCL ship like this.

I thought I had done my research. I really trusted the 2 different reps.

Yea well.....

I trusted my stockbroker too....

and if he knew it all he wouldn't still be working! LOL

Lol. Very true. Live and learn. Good advice.

Honestly we normally don't care much about our cabins. As long as we get connecting cabins. We normally cruise Carnival. We just call our rep and get a couple of inside connecting cabins. In 15 years it has never been an issue. I trusted the NCL rep. Now with what has happened I will do more research before booking my cabin. I guess I had to learn the hard way.

In my defense. We did try to log onto the NCL website when we booked. But they were updating their website. We had trouble logging on or 2 days.

Also being on CC I have never heard of a ship without connecting cabins to accommodate 6 people. This was a first for me. I read here Spirit is the only BCL ship like this.

I don't really understand people. :confused: One would think directing questions of this nature at the company that is running the business you are trying to patronize would be considered a form research. I mean seriously, it is a shame when the general CC public knows more about a ship than the company who runs it.

I know it's just the way things are and you can't do anything about it but I don't like some of these posts that imply that you somehow were lacking in your due diligence.

This is NCL's fault, not yours. You may learn from THEIR mistake and do independent research next time but it doesn't make the fault any less NCL's.

Hi there. Bummer about this....I think we are on the same sailing. We are also booked on an MSC sailing the same week and trying to decide between them. When we booked the Spirit we tried to get cabins near each other and really couldn't find anything we wanted and we also found out there aren't balcony cabins for 4 on the Spirit. Anyway, we ended up with a balcony for my friend and I and my 18 year old DD and her friend are in an inside down the hall. I know you wanted connecting rooms and I think NCL is definitely in the wrong....but in the end do you have to have connecting? I know your boys are older....Anyway, like I said they should have known they weren't connecting but it does sound like you have a lot of money committed to this already. Maybe I should let you know if we change to MSC and let our cabins go...who knows it may help. Our balcony is 10686

I don't really understand people. :confused: One would think directing questions of this nature at the company that is running the business you are trying to patronize would be considered a form research. I mean seriously, it is a shame when the general CC public knows more about a ship than the company who runs it.

I know it's just the way things are and you can't do anything about it but I don't like some of these posts that imply that you somehow were lacking in your due diligence.

This is NCL's fault, not yours. You may learn from THEIR mistake and do independent research next time but it doesn't make the fault any less NCL's.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. It makes me feel better. I started this thread to do a little venting but mainly to let others know of my situation. Maybe thy can learn from my mistake. I never imagined hearing from others would make me feel better about the situation but it has. My stress level has gone way down. Thanks to supportive post like this. Thank you.

I don't really understand people. :confused: One would think directing questions of this nature at the company that is running the business you are trying to patronize would be considered a form research.

Ditto. Best of luck to you, OP. I hope you find a way to have a really enjoyable vacation!

Hi there. Bummer about this....I think we are on the same sailing. We are also booked on an MSC sailing the same week and trying to decide between them. When we booked the Spirit we tried to get cabins near each other and really couldn't find anything we wanted and we also found out there aren't balcony cabins for 4 on the Spirit. Anyway, we ended up with a balcony for my friend and I and my 18 year old DD and her friend are in an inside down the hall. I know you wanted connecting rooms and I think NCL is definitely in the wrong....but in the end do you have to have connecting? I know your boys are older....Anyway, like I said they should have known they weren't connecting but it does sound like you have a lot of money committed to this already. Maybe I should let you know if we change to MSC and let our cabins go...who knows it may help. Our balcony is 10686

Yes. The Spirit is a different ship for sure. They don't even have a suite to accommodate 6. The rep told me their largest suite will only accommodate 3. Not sure if that is correct or not but that is what they told me. I am sure cc members will know if that is true or not. If they had a large suite it would of been cheaper to upgrade to that. Instead I have to get a suite with a connecting balcony room. It is the only way to get us all together.

We will probably just have my wife sleep in one cabin and me in the other. It won't be what we wanted but I am sure we will have fun anyways.

Sorry you are having so much trouble. It really shouldn't take NCL (or any company) that long to resolve a situation like this.

That being said I always do my research before booking anything. Regardless of how much I like my TA I leave nothing to chance. I know exactly what category I want, how much it should be and figure out how much obc the booking would qualify for. When they give me cabin options I have the ship deck plan up to check it out. Several times I have told them they were incorrect about something or another and most of the time I end up being right. (Because I do my homework)

I have never used a NCL PCC because the few times I called I could tell they never cruised or had never set foot on the cruise ship. (That and they usually don't offer as much obc as a TA.)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Archived