hotels/parking in nyc/nj

mrsrads

We are cruising on the Splendor on Nov 1st (next Friday) Looking for a fairly cheap hotel to stay at when we get back on the Nov 9th and also parking while we are on the cruise. I don't really want to spend $35/day at the pier! Help anyone!! Has anyone parked at a hotel while they cruised if they stay there when they get back like we are planning? I also don't want to spend $500 on a hotel room!

Nothing is free, or cheap in NYC. Even if the hotel had parking, you would pay about that amount per day. You really don't want to park anyplace else, because the ease of parking at the dock and availability of your car is worth it (not worth it by $$$ but by ease). Next, you want to consider why you want an hotel, and what your plans are? Pleanty of places in NJ to have a hotel room, without breaking the bank. The farther you go away from the city the better. However to get back into the city, consider NJ Transit buses. Very cheap, and you would not need to pay tolls, or parking. It would be an adventure if you never did this before, but if you are comfortable using transit, then go for it.

I don't mind staying in new jersey at all....as long as we are not too far out as we want to do Times Square etc when we get back from the cruise for the day and spend the night. I know we will pay a bit, I just don't want to pay $500 for one night at a hotel we basically will sleep at and that's it! Thanks!

When we went to New York City for the commissioning of my ex-husbands Navy ship last year we stayed at the Doubletree in Jersey City. We paid extra for a city view room and it was stunning. It wasn't cheap but it was way cheaper than staying in New York City. We took the commuter train back and forth and it was super easy and convenient.

The Doubletree in Jersey City is certainly another option as well as any other hotel in the Newport area of Jersey City. You have the option of leaving your car long term at the Journal Square Transportation Center for $13/day and taking Path to 33rd St for $2.50/pp and a cab to the port. This would be easy access with luggage on both ends.

The Doubletree in Jersey City is certainly another option as well as any other hotel in the Newport area of Jersey City. You have the option of leaving your car long term at the Journal Square Transportation Center for $13/day and taking Path to 33rd St for $2.50/pp and a cab to the port. This would be easy access with luggage on both ends.

What is Path?? Can you explain? Not familiar with NYC and how to get to port of Manhattan. Txs in advance.

Path is essentially a NJ subway line which offers 24x7 service from Newark, Hoboken, and Jersey City to the World Trade Center in downtown NYC or 33rd St (Herald Square) and stops along 6th Ave in midtown NYC. Do a google search on Path NJ for more details and maps. The fare is $2.50 and there is no free transfer to the NYC subway, but the Path stations in NY have good transfers to major NYC subway lines.

The Newport area of Jersey City, which is just below the Holland Tunnel, has been redeveloped into a financial services office area with a number of major hotels that are relatively new and very nice. There are spectacular views of New York from many of these properties. These hotels are often very reasonable, particularly on weekends, and offer a combination of economy and easy access to Manhattan.

Journal Square is considered downtown Jersey City (more inland from the Hudson River) and offers 24x7 secured parking in a garage in the Journal Square Transportation Center for $13/day. The station is accessible and offers Path service to 33rd St in NYC, which is also accessible. The 33rd St train starts in Journal Square, which means that you can get a seat with your luggage for the trip to Manhattan. Once in the city you are only a $10-15 cab ride from the cruise terminal.

Path is essentially a NJ subway line which offers 24x7 service from Newark, Hoboken, and Jersey City to the World Trade Center in downtown NYC or 33rd St (Herald Square) and stops along 6th Ave in midtown NYC. Do a google search on Path NJ for more details and maps. The fare is $2.50 and there is no free transfer to the NYC subway, but the Path stations in NY have good transfers to major NYC subway lines.

The Newport area of Jersey City, which is just below the Holland Tunnel, has been redeveloped into a financial services office area with a number of major hotels that are relatively new and very nice. There are spectacular views of New York from many of these properties. These hotels are often very reasonable, particularly on weekends, and offer a combination of economy and easy access to Manhattan.

Journal Square is considered downtown Jersey City (more inland from the Hudson River) and offers 24x7 secured parking in a garage in the Journal Square Transportation Center for $13/day. The station is accessible and offers Path service to 33rd St in NYC, which is also accessible. The 33rd St train starts in Journal Square, which means that you can get a seat with your luggage for the trip to Manhattan. Once in the city you are only a $10-15 cab ride from the cruise terminal.

Even though I don't expect to need it any time soon, this is great information to have. Thanks, Carol.

David

Great ideas!! Thx!

We are driving from Pittsburgh to Newark for a cruise in December. We decided to stay at the Ramada Inn by the airport. It offers a sleep, park and Fly package that we booked thru Trinity. You pay one price and your car stays for up to 14 days. I believe we paid $117 for one night. Then I booked a car service called Lincoln Limousine that charges $108 tip and tax included for a one way service to the Manhattan Pier. I pretty sure that included toll also. I booked them for the round trip back to the hotel. I thought about just catching the Path Train, but I figured the hassle of loading and unloading our luggage up to 4X just to save like $50 wasn't worth it. This way with the car service we are taken right to the pier from the hotel. I'll let everyone know how it works out :)

• 4 weeks later...
We are driving from Pittsburgh to Newark for a cruise in December. We decided to stay at the Ramada Inn by the airport. It offers a sleep, park and Fly package that we booked thru Trinity. You pay one price and your car stays for up to 14 days. I believe we paid $117 for one night. Then I booked a car service called Lincoln Limousine that charges $108 tip and tax included for a one way service to the Manhattan Pier. I pretty sure that included toll also. I booked them for the round trip back to the hotel. I thought about just catching the Path Train, but I figured the hassle of loading and unloading our luggage up to 4X just to save like $50 wasn't worth it. This way with the car service we are taken right to the pier from the hotel. I'll let everyone know how it works out :)

Wow, good deal - we are going on the same cruise, coming down from Toronto. Must look up Ramada sleep, park and fly package for sure. Thanks.

Thank you very much Carol. I saved this info.

What about Port Imperial parking? Do you think Journal Square is better?

Edited by rosebud1g
Added question.

Honestly, I don't know which one is better. There are several factors to consider - day of the week, where you are coming from, and time of the year.

Journal Square is a little harder to find and has indoor parking, but could fill up early on a weekday morning. Port Imperial has outdoor parking I believe and could be less likely to fill up. Perhaps someone can comment on this.

I personally have not done the ferry trip with luggage, so I can't speak to that. I have done Path from NYC to Bayonne and found that to be a super easy trip. Journal Square should have all the escalators and elevators you need. The Path train to 33rd St starts at JSQ, so you should be able to get seats if you are patient.