Are MSC as Bad as Reviews Claim?

glittergal1

I fear this thread will end as many others do in which C'Trail participates - closed down by the moderators.

C'Trail has past form and I am surprised the he/she has not been expelled from CruiseCritics by now.

The spirit of Cruise Critics is to share information on cruising. For someone to be so vociferous in posting against a cruise line they have never even tried falls well outside that spirit and is an abuse. I hope everyone reading this will report all inflammatory and misleading posts to the CC moderators.

Tim.

Why do you have MSC in your sig line?? I only put ships I sailed on in my sig line

You never sailed MSC did you ??

This is my cruise lines rating based on their best products.

I don't put my travel history in my signature. It's personal.

MSC cruise is in plans for next year.

My take on it is ... if I pay for a 3 star hotel I do not expect 5 star service. Same with cruise lines.

MSC ships are clean & comfy, the food plentiful the staff wonderful.

Have fun!

Agree. MSC product can be of a good value if the price is right.

I have almost booked MSC twice.

They've made a lot of work on food & service (as was expected) on the Divina to be competitive in the Caribbean.

Things that cannot be changed - design of the ship and number of passengers.

Edited by cruisetrail

This is my cruise lines rating based on their best products.

I don't put my travel history in my signature. It's personal.

MSC cruise is in plans for next year.

Please be sure to tell us all the moment you book an MSC cruise and ensure you let us know which one.

It is very important that we all know this information.

In a word - NO.

If you are well traveled and used to the way things are done in continental Europe and are happy to be surrounded by passengers who speak a different language and have a different culture and behaviour form home! you'll be fine.

Well said! To me, that is a large part of the appeal of MSC.

You forgot to mention paid internet, shore excursions, gratuites, spa tereatments, behind the scene ship tours and tons of other trash that has zero relation to the topic.

Like your selective 'quiz', to which you only selectively accept answers.

• 1 month later...

hi EVERYONE

i AM TRAVELLING 27/6/14 ON msc SPLENDIDA,,WITH TWO CHILDREN.

CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANY ALTERNATIVE CRUISE TOUR EXCURSION PROVIDERS OR PREHAPS THE MUST SEE TO EACH OF ITS PORT STOPS TO GENOA, NAPLES MESSINA tUNISA.

CAN YOU BE MUST MORE SPECIFIC WITH ANY TRANSFER TIMES AND HOW TO TRANSFER WITHIN EACH PORT IE WHICH ONES ARE A WALKABLE DISTANCE IE NEEDING TAXI.

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR EXPERIENCED KNOWLEDGE SHARED. LADY TIARA

Almost 30 years a ago, I took my first cruise on the Epirotiki line out of Athens. I still remember an announcement made the first sea day that women could not sunbathe topless because it "offended" the Americans. I watched the crew pull up the anchor, very excited to see an octopus wrapped around it, , which was served in a salad for lunch, totally disgusting several US citizens on board.

I know people deny it, but Americans have a certain degree of comfort with familiar things. I think the MSC reviews reflect that.

You inquiry is likely to spark a fierce debate between those CCers who appear to cruise on MSC often, almost exclusively, and those who appear to have cruised on it once or twice and have a very negative opinion of the line. Unfortunately, the posts quickly tend to get personal. Accordingly, I suggest you simply go (back) to the "Reviews" section of this site and read a bit more. Here's a link to MSC. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/msc-cruises/cl/ . You can specify the Fantasia. You can also go to the all time Cruise Critic Cruisers Choice Poll for a mathematical compilation of the reviews. Here's a link. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall

If one of those who dislikes MSC points out the fact that MSC has received the poorest reviews at the "Reviews" section of this site, they are attacked as escapees from a looney bin or in some other infantile manner. The clique of hardcore MSC fans seem to delight in ridiculing those who submit comments that put MSC in a negative light.

For example, those who like MSC a lot will be quick to dismiss the greater incidence of MSC negative reviews as the unsophisticated opinions of travel-challenged Americans with poor palates who insist upon phony "in your face" service. They will argue that there are more of these Olive Garden bred "retarded" Americans that submit reviews so that the Cruisers Choice reviews (and the Poll numbers) are not a true reflection of what a real cross-section of all cruisers think.

When one points out that for "Americans" if there is a disproportionate number of Americans submitting reviews it would make the mathematical compilation of reviews more, not less, accurate, you are likely to read some esoteric nonsense about statistics and the unreliability of randomly submitted reviews.

When confronted with evidence that the British analog of CC reveals similar results they will attempt to distinguish between "northern" Europeans (Brits, etc.) and southern Europeans (Italians,etc.).

You will have to sift through an enormous amount of chafe to get a few kernels of wheat. Good luck. Just remember:

1. A cruise is what you make of it and its corollary - a bad cruise is better than no cruise; so grin and bear all shortcomings.

2. If you don't like the food aboard MSC, you don't know real Italian cuisine. If you ask for tap water on certain itineraries and don't get it, don't insist. Drink bottled water despite the fact ship tap water is likely purer than the bottled variety.

3. If you find the service inattentive, it is because that is the European style - get used to it and you will be better served.

4. If staff has answered your inquiry in a surly or other improper manner, it is because you asked them something in a bad way. Remember, you are on an equal footing with the waiters and cabin stewards. Because of that it would be wrong not to be as deferential to all waiters and cabin stewards as they should be to you.

5. If there is a ship rule like dress or other protocol you find inconvenient, don't worry about compliance. Do what you want - it's the Italian way of cruising.

Obviously, I'm in the camp that has found MSC wanting, but my personal experience is minimal so it isn't worth a lot. On the other hand, the reviews speak for themselves. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the price and port stops may make an MSC cruise worthwhile. And enjoyable. Especially since your expectations have been adjusted downwards. Who knows, maybe MSC is improving.

Well said! I was totally pounced upon for daring to suggest that my cabin on Armonia was grubby - which it was! MSC themselves agreed when confronted by photographic evidence and offered 15% off a future cruise, which I declined. I am not an American and have cruised 15 times with various companies both in Europe and worldwide.

DH and I just returned from a cruise on the Divina and it was the most DIVINE cruise we have ever been on. We are well aware of the "European Style" as we have traveled extensively thru Europe. I have raved about our experience with MSC and hope to have sent the many new customers. So...............:p:p:p:p

DH and I just returned from a cruise on the Divina and it was the most DIVINE cruise we have ever been on. We are well aware of the "European Style" as we have traveled extensively thru Europe. I have raved about our experience with MSC and hope to have sent the many new customers. So...............:p:p:p:p

So.....what?

You were in an enclave for less than 5% of the passengers that cynically takes up premium public space of the overcrowded ship with a few thousand cruisers on board.

Congratulations on the fair report and recommendations!

You have all the reasons to start a new thread: "Is MSC as good as my review?" :)

Report and recommendations based on personal experience! That's the kind of review I can take notice of.

Yeah imagine doing a review without even sampling the product. That would be crazy.

Some websites don't allow you to review without first checking you have bought the product. I wish Cruise Critic did this.

Yeah imagine doing a review without even sampling the product. That would be crazy.

Some websites don't allow you to review without first checking you have bought the product. I wish Cruise Critic did this.

Holidaycheck is like that but if someone is prepared to write a fake review, they are also prepared to lie about "purchasing the product" in the first place.

So.....what?

You were in an enclave for less than 5% of the passengers that cynically takes up premium public space of the overcrowded ship with a few thousand cruisers on board.

Better to be amongst 5% of the passengers - who nevertheless likely made use of all the facilities onboard as he wished to... then amongst 0% of the passengers, as you have been!

Edited by The_Big_M

Better to be amongst 5% of the passengers - who nevertheless likely made use of all the facilities onboard as he wished to... then amongst 0% of the passengers, as you have been!

Are you suggesting cruisetrail has never been on an MSC cruise (which they admit to) or any cruise at all?