Avalon Burgundy & Provence/ Viking?

countess5

Looking for the South of France in early summer 2014. This would be our first river cruise, have done many ocean cruises.

Avalon looks sold out and that is who we would of liked but Viking has availability. Would anyone have thoughts on Viking and have done the route? I know I will have many other questions :confused: but just would like to connect with those that have done the cruise and give thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

We did the Viking "Portraits of Southern France" trip last November and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably our favorite trip so far. However, having never even been on a large-ship ocean cruise, we are more than happy with every aspect of European river cruising. If you understand that a river cruise is very different from an ocean cruise, you will have a wonderful trip. This particular itinerary was just delightful and Viking did what we think is an excellent job of showing us that part of the world in comfort and style (sounding like a brochure!).

Thanks for the feedback, never herd of Vantage but will look into. Glad to hear that Viking did a great job, I have had a lot of my neighbors take a river cruise and have not heard any bad news. Always like to hear from my cruise critic friends! I know we are at the mercy of the rivers water height not like on an ocean cruise.

More research needed but I am sure I need to book soon before they sale out!! :o

Looking for the South of France in early summer 2014. This would be our first river cruise, have done many ocean cruises.

Avalon looks sold out and that is who we would of liked but Viking has availability. Would anyone have thoughts on Viking and have done the route? I know I will have many other questions :confused: but just would like to connect with those that have done the cruise and give thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

We booked in Febuary this year for a June 2014 France cruise with Avalon and they were pretty much all booked then (that was over 16 months out), as popularity grows then cruises are selling out so far in advance.

I hope you find an itinerary and dates that suit you. I'm sure we'll all enjoy France :-)

We sailed with Viking on the Portraits of Southern France last October and enjoyed it SO much we came home and booked 2 more river cruises!!! We sailed on the Neptune but I understand Viking will have new ships on the Saone/Rhone rivers in 2014.

You can see our cruise here: Cruise SlideShow

Even if the ship is different I imagine the ports will be about the same. We spent 4 days pre-cruise in Paris and 6 days post-cruise in Avignon and Nice.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy a fabulous cruise!!!!

We sailed with Viking on the Portraits of Southern France last October and enjoyed it SO much we came home and booked 2 more river cruises!!! We sailed on the Neptune but I understand Viking will have new ships on the Saone/Rhone rivers in 2014.

You can see our cruise here: Cruise SlideShow

Even if the ship is different I imagine the ports will be about the same. We spent 4 days pre-cruise in Paris and 6 days post-cruise in Avignon and Nice.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy a fabulous cruise!!!!

Love your pics Peg,

do you mind me asking what type of camera you have, I need to buy one before our trip next year and yours take great night photos, the one I have now is fine for day but not day.

We will be in going to the Jazz Festival in Vienne next year as part of our cruise, its held in the Roman Ampitheatre which should be good.

Deb :-)

We're booked for our south of France river cruise with Tauck for August 2014. I've noticed on their website that they still have cabins available for a number of their Rhone and Seine cruises. You might like to check them out as well.

Hi Deb ~ I have a Canon PowerShot SX20IS and I really love it - almost as much as my old Canon A-1.

I finally went to digital about 2008 and bought a small Canon that I instantly hated - except for the ease of carrying! So then I graduated to a digital SLR! Love it except for the size but it's about the same as the old A-1 and much lighter!!!

I also usually enhance my photos - especially night shots. My latest addition was a tablet - MS Surface - so down I can transfer photos during a trip without having to bring my laptop!

Good Luck deciding on a camera - there's lots of info here on CC up in the Digital Photography board. My only suggestion - get a new one in time to practice - I waited and felt like I was read the book as I was getting on the plane!! - not the best way!!

Hi Deb ~ I have a Canon PowerShot SX20IS and I really love it - almost as much as my old Canon A-1.

I finally went to digital about 2008 and bought a small Canon that I instantly hated - except for the ease of carrying! So then I graduated to a digital SLR! Love it except for the size but it's about the same as the old A-1 and much lighter!!!

I also usually enhance my photos - especially night shots. My latest addition was a tablet - MS Surface - so down I can transfer photos during a trip without having to bring my laptop!

Good Luck deciding on a camera - there's lots of info here on CC up in the Digital Photography board. My only suggestion - get a new one in time to practice - I waited and felt like I was read the book as I was getting on the plane!! - not the best way!!

Thanks so much Peg

I will check out the CC board too.

I've had a few digital ones but I've never been completely happy with any of them, might be time I bought a SLR too.

Deb :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks in advance!

In late August, we returned from the A-Rosa Stella Provence river cruise (sailing on Saone and Rhone rivers), August 2013. The all-inclusive cruise experience was great!

A-Rosa's Stella departs and returns to Lyon. This is a big plus, over the other river cruises, like Viking, that leave from Chalon-sur-Saone because Lyon has major airport and train connections, making arrival /departures easy.

The cruise included a wide range of ages from 30-80 yrs -- several 30-40 year olds who loved to party from USA, many 50 year olds from USA, and about 40 German / British passengers.

Our French balcony cabin had 2 doors that opened wide (not just a sliding glass door) , which added to the enjoyment of views along the river. On several mornings, we were welcomed by gorgeous sunrises and swans as we arrived into the port towns. Cabins offered lots of storage, both hanging racks and shelving.

A-Rosa Stella serves wonderful wines with lunch and dinner. For example, the last night's wine pairings with dinner were Perrin et Fils wines. Bar drinks are included -- and Stella's bartender makes great mojitos -- perfect enjoyment for late afternoons, as we sat on the sun-deck, sailing past small stone villages, under brilliant blue skies.

Lunch aboard the Stella offered a buffet in the main dining room, or grilled lunch on the sundeck, along with bar service. The dining room never felt crowded, due to the floor-to-ceiling windows on each side of the dining room, that let in light and offered magnificent views!

The itinerary was perfect for this region. The shore excursions that A-Rosa offered were handled by knowledgeable local guides, who had pride in their town, and wanted to show us 'the best'. I really enjoyed the excursions to Chateauneuf-de-Pape and Beaune. In both locations, we were able to enjoy samples of the local wines. When the ship stopped in Lyon, after the tour of Old Town, we were offered lunch at a restaurant owned by Paul Bocuse, a famous Michelin 3 Star chef! We enjoyed a 5 course lunch, paired with wines. And, best of all, this special lunch was included at no additional cost!

Bicycle tours were offered -- a guide would take passengers on 3 hour excursions through small wine-growing villages -- or we could borrow a bicycle to ride around Avignon or Arles, if preferred.

At the end of the cruise, departing the ship was a unique experience -- we requested that Stella's reception desk order a taxi for us, to go to the airport at 7:15am. As we strolled off the ship, a Mercedes 500 taxi was waiting for us -- our luggage already loaded in the trunk. And, this private taxi only cost us 50 Euro!

A-Rosa's river cruises should definitely be included, when you consider taking a European River cruise!

A-Rosa is a German river cruise company -- and on some sailings, they market to the USA market. I suggest only booking those dates that has USA -based passengers -- otherwise, most passengers only speak German, and you won't have the same experience.

First, find which companies doing cruise you want.Look at ea.website and determine all the details inc.,cabin type,dates,price,etc....

You mentioned Avalon being booked,we took them 3 yrs ago and booked over a year in advance.These are small ships and cabins go fast.As you re finding out.

Tauck and Vantage were both mentioned, first considered Luxury, next more middle of road(from all the comparisons Iv e read here on CC).All will get you where you want to go, just different levels of cabins,service,food,etc..Really depends on what s right for YOU.

I now prefer the higher end lines and can finally afford them,like AMA and Scenic.But still enjoyed the others,just different.

Good idea to book a few days pre and post tour also.Do check on getting own air,insurance,etc.Also, we use a TA and its no charge and we get better deals.With the luxury lines,our TA,give 5% cash back also.:)