Using a granny cart for cruising

wizard-of-roz

I know you've all seen them and I know we all call them a "Granny Cart" but since I started using one [when the front wheels didn't cooperate and were forever causing me to either trip or get stuck everywhere!], my traveling life is so much easier. I never thought I'd ever use the cart for traveling.....I only used it to get my groceries from the car to the kitchen, after a day of shopping. Now, that they're so streamlined and easier to maneuver, I've traveled all over the world with one.

I literally wheel my cart through the airport terminal or the cruise terminal, with my purse and other incidentals neatly in place. When you get to the TSA Agent at the x-ray machine you unload the cart and let them know that you need it to walk with and they will wheel it through the screener first and then ask you to walk through, where you can load it up to assist you to the gate. You can wheel it to the door of the plane and they will tag it and store it for you until you're ready to leave.

When I see the folks who are schlepping their carry on stuff and fighting with their bags while I'm wheeling along, with ease and I might add no strain on my back.....it amazes me why everyone [young and old] doesn't use these carts. I've even offered to help the poor soul who's walking in front of me and doing a really bad juggling act with their stuff. I offer my cart in helping to carry some of their stuff to their gate and they're so grateful.

Mine has the 360 degree swivel wheels in the front and back, with an extra carrying area in the back of the large basket for my purse, travel certs., etc.

Since I walk with a Service Dog, I attach his leash to the handle and we are one.

It does mean that you will need to use the elevators in the airport or cruise terminal but that's not even a minor inconvenience compared to the hassle of dragging my bags and purse everywhere. Everything's in my cart, neat and safe!

The only drawback is the cart will not wheel through the cabin door onboard a cruise [unless you are in a HC.] You need to unload the stuff that's in it and then fold it up and wheel it through.

I then lean it against the wall in the closet or under the bed and either use it on excursions or it waits for me to disembark.

It makes my life so much simpler and easier to manage. And travel doesn't mean I have to lug everything on my back or shoulder's.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I use my rollator in the same way. Of course, it doesn't have as much storage space, but mine does have a basket. I keep my purse in the basket, and bungee my carry-on to the seat. If necessary, I can ask someone to take my carry-on off, so I can sit down.

I always say there should be a holiday in honor of whoever invented the wheel!! :D

I use my rollator in the same way. Of course, it doesn't have as much storage space, but mine does have a basket. I keep my purse in the basket, and bungee my carry-on to the seat. If necessary, I can ask someone to take my carry-on off, so I can sit down.

I always say there should be a holiday in honor of whoever invented the wheel!! :D

Very cute.....you're so right. My hat is off to the wheel! I have a very senior Service Dog who can't go everywhere with my younger Service Dog and me.....I'm trying to think of a way that I can wheel her around with us! :rolleyes:

I had to laugh at myself last night as I was wheeling my way down the hallway, after work, as I was making my way to my front door. I ALWAYS keep the cart in the back of my SUV [for fear that I'll get stuck in a disaster and need to walk home.] So, it goes where I go!

In the cart was a huge duffle-like bag that I carry wherever my Service Dog goes with all his paraphernalia in it. You know; extra food [afterall I do live in earthquake country], you learn to carry around a few extra goodies for that "God-forbid" that may occur at any time. His ear medicine, should we be stuck in the car and he gets a flare-up, his brush and toothbrush. I also have my purse in the cart.....with my cell phone, my Kindle, my camera, money, credit cards, emergency kit, toothbrush, etc., etc.

Unless you've actually been in a disaster, where you've needed to have "extra" everything, it seemed, you'll never understand the urge to carry such nonsense all the time.

I'm a walking "Let's Make A Deal" game show!!!!! Ask me for it, I'm sure it's somewhere in my purse or cart.

In the 1994 earthquake, as we were standing out in the middle of the street at 4:00am and it was freezing, someone asked if anyone had an extra pair of socks. Sure enough, in the trunk of my car [which was parked on the street] I always keep an extra pair of socks and a hoodie. Leave it to a Virgo to supply the neighborhood with clothes, etc.

Unless you've actually been in a disaster, where you've needed to have "extra" everything, it seemed, you'll never understand the urge to carry such nonsense all the time.

Unfortunately, I know what you mean. I think I've been in that mode for most of my adult life. In our family we refer to it as being a "belts and suspenders person". :D

• 2 weeks later...