Binoculars

angel54321

Now for those with "binocular" knowledge - can anyone recommend an inexpensive pair solely for the use from my cruise balcony.? Hmmm and maybe I'd bring some on our hikes or canoe trips occasionally for looking at birds or gators that I can't get too close to...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

I use a compact Bushnell 16X32 that I bought on Amazon for around $35. They work great on cruises and have very good quality optics for the cost. They came with a soft case that can attached to my belt for shore excursions.

Here is the link to them from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTUXKWY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YPVYWHN126PE8GT3BRY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630072222&pf_rd_i=507846

Edited by terrydtx

For a cruise to Alaska I would think that binoculars would be on your must have lists.

For all our cruises my husband always brought binoculars and I don't think ever used them.

We have an upcoming cruise and we will not be bringing binoculars.

Yes--for Alaska --a must..!!! We also brought them for our Canada/NE cruise....and did use them...(never took them for southern cruises...don't know why...and never missed them)

We always bring ours, my DH loves sitting on the balcony and watching whatever he can see.

Works great for seeing signs in Port and the overall area before making hiking decisions, saves foot power.

We like watch ports as we enter, sometimes we see things we would not by walking.

Lynda

• 3 weeks later...
Now for those with "binocular" knowledge - can anyone recommend an inexpensive pair solely for the use from my cruise balcony.? Hmmm and maybe I'd bring some on our hikes or canoe trips occasionally for looking at birds or gators that I can't get too close to...

Hi Angel,

I'm an active member in a birding optic forum and talk about optics all the time.

Here are a listing of compact budget optics from my favorite Eagle Optics. I recommend 8X for the most usability. More power is not better for many reasons--especially in compacts.

I happen to be partial to the Atlas Optics, Opticron, and Vortex brands, which give you lots for your money. Also Zen Rays and Alpens are also highly rated.

I recommend the 8x32 roof prism format for the best combination of performance, size and cost. If you want to go even smaller, 8x25, here's a very nice choice as well.

I have these 8x42s and they are remarkable for their cost, size and performance. I highly recommend them.

Always buy the best quality that you can afford if you want them to last.

What's your budget?

I recommend you defintly bring a pair of binoculars. You will use them. You will notice if you look in the bridge window the officers use them too. Small fish boats with locals in them sometime get within a few hundered yards, neat to see. Dolphins, birds, waterspouts and other ships. Way too much to list to see even in the western caribbean. While in port it is fun to scan the port, also while comming in and leaving.

I have never thought that "Hum, these are a pain!".

I have a nice pair of mid range (priced).

Nikon "Monarch" waterproof 8X36 with a 7 Degree view.

If you perfer more viewing in low light have a larger number after the X. Mine is 36, you want better in low light? Go 42 or say 50. The first number is magnification mine is 8. You don't want to go too high with that, or it will neccesitate you do go with a higher second number. Due to you need more light to come in for more magnification.

Some common ones are 7X35 to 10X50. The 10X50 are quite big, not nearly as convienient if you want to carry them all over the place.

My suggestion would be to visit a repidable camera shop or outdoor sports shop that sells binoculars. Look through them, feel the weight. Let the salesman tell the good and bad. Then purchace the binoculars you want from whatever repidable place you like.

A mid priced pair of good binoculars are just a joy to look through.

Those binoclars that TanTien the birder recommeded would definitly be worth a look!

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

Hi Angel,

I'm an active member in a birding optic forum and talk about optics all the time.

Here are a listing of compact budget optics from my favorite Eagle Optics. I recommend 8X for the most usability. More power is not better for many reasons--especially in compacts.

I happen to be partial to the Atlas Optics, Opticron, and Vortex brands, which give you lots for your money. Also Zen Rays and Alpens are also highly rated.

I recommend the 8x32 roof prism format for the best combination of performance, size and cost. If you want to go even smaller, 8x25, here's a very nice choice as well.

I have these 8x42s and they are remarkable for their cost, size and performance. I highly recommend them.

Always buy the best quality that you can afford if you want them to last.

What's your budget?

I don't really want to spend too much on binoculars because I'm not convinced ill use them except to bring on my cruise, although there have been many occasions in life where I was like, man I wish I had binoculars....

There's an American Eagle nest near my house and I'd love to have a closer up view of those birds....

I don't see myself spending more than $50 on binoculars though......

Thank you so much for your help!!!! I appreciate everyone's input!

This is why I love cruise critic.... People helping people....

Now, slightly OFF topic, but I just have to say,

I DISLIKE cruise critic for some of the posts with "snarky" and judgmental remarks.... People who are offensive or have that holier than thou personality... I mean, come on, it's an Internet forum.... Relax!!!!!

I don't really want to spend too much on binoculars because I'm not convinced ill use them except to bring on my cruise, although there have been many occasions in life where I was like, man I wish I had binoculars....

There's an American Eagle nest near my house and I'd love to have a closer up view of those birds....

I don't see myself spending more than $50 on binoculars though......

Here's a good selection for you that are under $75. Please read the reviews to get a sense of if these might fit your needs. Just remember: in optics you get what you pay for.

Happy viewing!

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars?price_max=75