Swizzle any recommendations?

gopatriots

These boards have been a great source of information for our upcoming trip to the Wyndham. Thank you to Swizzle in particular for your many words of wisdom.

We are a party of 6 (3 Adults, 3 children under 10). I'm considering hiring a taxi in advance to meet us upon our arrival at the airport. I found three companies:

Bee Line Transport

Bermuda Host Ltd.

Flood Transport Services

Anyone ever used these companies? If I don't arrange this service in advance, are the taxis large enough to allow the 6 of us to travel in one vehicle?

We are bringing our own snorkeling gear and plan to use it at the Wyndham, but I don't want to set ourselves up for disappointment if we're not really going to see anything at the Wyndham beaches. Is it worth taking the kids to Dockyard? For those that have stayed at the Wyndham, is there a hotel shuttle to Dockyard?

Lastly, we are considering taking the bus to the Harbour Nights festival on Wednesday evening. I'm not sure what to expect. We will probably eat on the go that night. Will there be vendors selling food or is it mostly shopping? How late in the evening does the bus run?

We are looking forward to our visit to Bermuda and I want to thank all of those posters who take the time to share their experiences. It really helped in preparing our vacation.

My parents went to the Dockyard (just last week) and were not impressed with the snorkeling. We found the best and most fish at Achilles Beach to the left of St. Catherine's Fort. The water is pretty calm (compared to Warwick Long Bay) and the snorkeling around the massive rocks to the left was amazing. My kids are 6 and 10 and loved it. Snorkeling at Warwick was tougher because of the strong waves, but there is a reef only about 20 feet out that is also incredible. I think you could find great snorkeling at every beach!

Bermuda is incredible!

Sorry...didn't read through your post. The Wednesday Night gig in Hamilton is fun. Lots of food vendors and Bermuda crafts and junk and souvenirs. There is a live band, and wild tribal-like dancing and drumming, and you can get a picture with the policeman in the birdcage. Consider a cab if there are more than two of you. Cabs are metered and they are honest about what the fare will cost. They are quicker and easier than the buses, especially with kids. We took the buses only once, had to change buses, it was crowded and hot. Really, the cabs are no worse than any other city, and you get the added bonus of a local expertise. Two of our cabbies were grandmas, so that was really cool. I would not mis the street fest unless I was claustrophobic! It was crowded.

As far as your taxi to your place...I think it would be wise to call ahead to reserve a 6 person taxi. Most of them hold four, unless you specify. It's a safe bet that there would be a taxi person at the airport to accomadate your party. But if you call ahead, it's really cool to have a driver with your last name on a sign. I would call any of your mentioned taxis. If worse comes to worse, just take 2 taxis.

Gopatriot: I didn't realize you would be staying at the Wyndham "formerly Sonesta Beach" My sister-in-law in on staff there in the security dept. Say hello to here from me if you run into her. Her name is Jenda Kellman. Tell her Donna and the twins say hello.

Have a great time.

dondonma

These boards have been a great source of information for our upcoming trip to the Wyndham.

We are a party of 6 (3 Adults, 3 children under 10). I'm considering hiring a taxi in advance to meet us upon our arrival at the airport. I found three companies:

Bee Line Transport

Bermuda Host Ltd.

Flood Transport Services

Anyone ever used these companies? If I don't arrange this service in advance, are the taxis large enough to allow the 6 of us to travel in one vehicle?

The Wyndham doesn't provide shuttle service to/from the airport?? That's a shame if it doesn't - many of the major hotels do. Double-check to make sure as it could save you a taxi fare.

Believe it or not I've never pre-booked a cab before, I've always just grabbed one at the airport. All cabs are metered at a rate pre-set by the Government so you should pay the same price regardless. Nothing wrong with pre-booking to make sure you have a cab, occasionnally if a lot of flights land at the airport at once cabs can be scarce. Be sure to tell them that you're a party of six so that they can send a cab that can handle that number. Hopefully you won't have 20 suitcases! ;)

We are bringing our own snorkeling gear and plan to use it at the Wyndham, but I don't want to set ourselves up for disappointment if we're not really going to see anything at the Wyndham beaches. Is it worth taking the kids to Dockyard? For those that have stayed at the Wyndham, is there a hotel shuttle to Dockyard?

I haven't been to Snorkel Park but posters on this board have given it mixed reviews - some loved it and some didn't find it very good. Definately wear water shoes or other kinds of foot protection, lots of people have posted that it is rocky.

Since you're at a resort just ask around for where some good nearby snorkeling is. I'm sure there are staff members who know some good nearby spots.

I don't think Wyndham has a shuttle to Dockyard but I know they have a shuttle to the main road (South Road). From there just take the #7 bus. You want to be at the bus stop with the blue pole (bus is going away from Hamilton) as opposed to a pink pole (bus is going to Hamilton).

Lastly, we are considering taking the bus to the Harbour Nights festival on Wednesday evening. I'm not sure what to expect. We will probably eat on the go that night. Will there be vendors selling food or is it mostly shopping? How late in the evening does the bus run?

Food is available as an impromptu food court is set up during Harbour Night. Lots of shopping as in addition to the tables many of the stores on Front Street remain open.

The schedule says the last #7 bus is at 9:15pm. On Harbour night they run extra buses but I couldn't tell you for sure if there are later runs. Count on the buses being packed.

Oh, and don't go to Harbour Night if it is raining as it will likely be cancelled.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Archived