OK, confess, what's your biggest "shopping regret" while on a cruise?

you know...the things you wish you would have gotten, and ended up deciding against, and then when you're back on the boat you're kicking yourself because you didn't get it. or things you got, that you could have done without or ended up being not what you thought.

my most recent "shopping regret" is about a purse I saw in the Straw Market in Nassau. This guy made these purses out of wooden cigar boxes, detailed with really cool bamboo handles and glass beads. Nassau was kind of crappy IMO, and the Straw Market was freaking annoying (108 degrees inside this crowded tent, with this woman screeching scripture and gospel tunes at the top of her lungs), and I didn't see the purses til we were on the way out of the tent. I searched high and low in the rest of our ports, but didn't see any more. BUMS ME OUT. :(

No shopping regret for me LOL I actually didn't spend too much on souvenirs. My biggest purchase, a Caribbean Topaz stone, that when it came time to set it at home, cost two times the stone, and then a chain. They better be right when they say it should triple or quadrouple in value haha.

The minature rum cakes? was this a Shipboard item or what island carried them.

We bought ours on the ship. I believe there were six to a box (2 banana-2 chocoloate-2 plain). I think we paid $28 a box (that was two years ago), and I think I saw them on GC for $24 a box.

If you're going to be in Key West, there's a Tortuga rum cakes shop just to the left of the little market area-where you board the trolleys. I think I also saw them in Miami at the Bayside Marketplace...but I don't remember where.

If all else fails, you can order them off the Tortuga website. A little pricy, but we've had a few shipped.

As for shopping regrets...I have none! If I see it and want it, I buy it. When I was younger, I'd think about things, and then when I'd go back...it would be gone. Now I just buy it. I also pack a suitcase inside of a suitcase to haul the extra things home. I've lost track how many times I've had to go hunting for a suitcase so bring my purchases home.

I personally bought toooo much art at the art auction.... I dont have the walls for them...

I'm afraid that's my problem too....I bought one too many Kincaid's. Where am I gonna hang them all? Not to mention the cost of framing them - oye!

Have a great week ahead all,

Cathy

I'm afraid that's my problem too....I bought one too many Kincaid's. Where am I gonna hang them all? Not to mention the cost of framing them - oye!

Have a great week ahead all,

Cathy

Thank goodness mine where all framed.... But I have 4 huge paintings and no walls... I guess that was on impulse more than anything.... But I can say I love seeing them leaning against the wall.... LOL

I personally bought toooo much art at the art auction.... I dont have the walls for them...

Sounds like our house ...so many beautiful paintings and no where to put them. *LOL*

A guy I work with has a son recently garduated high school. EXCELLENT student. In the past few months he has won at least 30 awards or citations (plaques , certificates etc) plus offered full scholarships to at least 4 major universities.

Of course his dad is so proud of him, but he joked that its a good thing he is getting a full scholarship because he is gonna need all that money to buy frames and nails for all these awards *LOL*

My shopping regrets always come from what I DID buy, not what I didn't.

Seriously...what am I supposed to do with that blue sombrero that I just HAD TO HAVE from Cozumel?:rolleyes:

You can donate it to the elementary school. Or the library. ;)

In Playa del Carmen they had those beautifully painted ceramic sinks for $50 like you see in the expensive design centers for $500. I wanted it SO BAD :( but couldn't imagine how I could get it back to the ship, one the plane, and all the way home. It was awkward and big, but so beautiful!

Carting back six bottles of duty free liquors on the airplane and then finding out that our local liquor store had all of them for pennies to maybe a dollar or two more.

Total savings on duty free liquor - about $10.

Total expense on muscle relaxants and pain killers for sore back from carrying the stupid box of liquors $88.56.

Knowledge gained remembering NEVER to bother carrying home liquor from a cruise again (unless it is home port cruising) - PRICELESS!!!!

On our Alaska cruise, my wonderful DH did not want to go to the last formal night nor did he want to eat in the dinning room on the last night.

So I missed:

LOBSTER:(

and I missed:

THE BAKED ALASKA!!:(

Bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

I should have gone anyway!!:(

Carting back six bottles of duty free liquors on the airplane and then finding out that our local liquor store had all of them for pennies to maybe a dollar or two more.

Total expense on muscle relaxants and pain killers for sore back from carrying the stupid box of liquors $88.56.

Knowledge gained remembering NEVER to bother carrying home liquor from a cruise again (unless it is home port cruising) - PRICELESS!!!!

I always thought the same thing, and how silly it was to see people lug ordinary liquor.

Additionally, as I have said in other threads, with the Internet, and stores such as Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Circut City, Costco, Sams Clubs, I challenge ANYONE to find any type of electronics such as cameras, camcorders, etc cheaper in the Carribbean than in any of the places previously mention. If anything else, you can't return it if you don't like it.

Knowledge gained remembering NEVER to bother carrying home liquor from a cruise again (unless it is home port

cruising) - PRICELESS!!!!

*LOL* Been there done that..... NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Unless it is some really obscure special liqour, that you can only get in a certain port and just cannot find at home, thats one thing.

But to lug a case of Stoli home to save 10 bucks . Fuggedaboutit *LOL*

On our Alaska cruise, my wonderful DH did not want to go to the last formal night nor did he want to eat in the dinning room on the last night.

So I missed:

LOBSTER:(

and I missed:

THE BAKED ALASKA!!:(

Bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:(

I should have gone anyway!!:(

:eek:

I almost missed the second formal night because I didnt know we had 2 of them on our cruise, but I ended up going anyway without any "formal" dressing... Thank goodness I did ... The food was great !!!!

We went on an excursion to the Malibu rum factory in Barbados. More for the private beach out back and free drinks than the actual tour. I have gotten hooked on the stuff-but after trying the Malibu with Lime I only brought 1 bottle back home. It is only distributed in Barbados & France. Should have had my friend bring back a case when she went to France last year.

Is this a Drink I can order on the ship?

Sangster's Rum Cream is not a mixed drink. It is a cream liquor like Bailey's Irish Creme. Not the same taste of course. You can order Sangster's on the rocks, but I am not sure they will carry it. It is also good in coffee and over ice cream. I brought some from Jamaica and my mother loved it over ice cream. She even hid it from my father to have it all to herself :eek: . On an all inclusive trip to Jamaica she made me bring her more back, and I drank a lot of it while there. So good.

Auntienance here is a link for you... http://www.ja-direct.com/liqueurs.html

Several years ago I almost bought a ring in the Columbian Emerald store in Aruba. DH went to play golf and I went shopping with a friend. The ring wasn't expensive but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it without showing it to DH. Got back to the ship and he was like why didn't you buy it if you liked it... as we sailed away! :(

Archived