Legal Name Change - What are the rules?

ncboys

I legally changed my middle and last name about 4 months ago(not married, just for personal reasons). Just booked a cruise and my Carnival rep pulled me up in the system under my phone number. I didnt even think to tell him about the name change, so the cruise is booked under my old name. I still have my original birth certificate(with my old name). Still have my drivers license(with my old name), still have my passport(under the old name), and the cruise is booked under my old name. I also have a court order showing the legal name change. I have not yet updated my info with Social Security(shows old name on SS card).

I obviously need to get all of this fixed sooner rather than later but we leave in 90 days to cruise. Do I need to have my Passport reissued, update by drivers license, update my SS card, and have my name changed through Carnival, or can I just use the old name and update everything after the cruise. I just dont want to take a chance get caught in a time crunch(of not getting the paperwork back in time) between now and the day we leave.

Carnival wouldnt know the difference(i wouldnt think) since I have all required documentation in my old name, but might this cause an issue with US customs when I reenter the country? Or does someone do any sort of check before being allowed to board?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I legally changed my middle and last name about 4 months ago(not married, just for personal reasons). Just booked a cruise and my Carnival rep pulled me up in the system under my phone number. I didnt even think to tell him about the name change, so the cruise is booked under my old name. I still have my original birth certificate(with my old name). Still have my drivers license(with my old name), still have my passport(under the old name), and the cruise is booked under my old name. I also have a court order showing the legal name change. I have not yet updated my info with Social Security(shows old name on SS card).

I obviously need to get all of this fixed sooner rather than later but we leave in 90 days to cruise. Do I need to have my Passport reissued, update by drivers license, update my SS card, and have my name changed through Carnival, or can I just use the old name and update everything after the cruise. I just dont want to take a chance get caught in a time crunch(of not getting the paperwork back in time) between now and the day we leave.

Carnival wouldnt know the difference(i wouldnt think) since I have all required documentation in my old name, but might this cause an issue with US customs when I reenter the country? Or does someone do any sort of check before being allowed to board?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you did not change your name legally on you SS, and everything matches, leave it as is until you return. It is much easier that way.

Thanks gang! I thought that would be the case, but didn't know if maybe the local courthouse sent docs to a larger federal database that might have shown the mismatch when I tried to board the ship or when I tried to clear customs when returning to the country.

Certainly not looking to commit fraud..... just trying to keep legal and make my life simple.

Just going out on a limb here. You changed your name 4 months ago, but did not bother to update any of your records, so you are still going by your original name, that you no longer wanted for personal reasons. OK, you have reasons, but you were required to update your drivers license and other legal documents already, so number one, you are currently breaking some laws. Not really a big issue, but now, you plan on leaving the country with invalid documents? I think I would take the time now, to mail in your records, and to the passport office, and get this fixed. Should take 2 to 3 weeks, to fix. I would also get your drivers license fixed, and order a new SS card. None of which should as difficult as getting your name changed.

The passenger list is submitted to homeland security, and you could be caught. Think of the hassle you will go through. If not now, than at some point, you will have issues.

You should not have any problems if your passport matches the name on the cruise. There are women who travel for years using their maiden name because it matches their passport. Legally they've changed their name, but renewing a passport is expensive. So long as the name on your cruise matches the name on your passport, you'll be fine.

You can get your name changed on your SS card & Driver's License between now and your cruise. It won't affect traveling with your passport.

If you use your passport as your documentation to board it must match the name you are booked under so it sounds like you are all set.

I booked a cruise in my married name and my passport was in my maiden name. When I got to port they changed my name back to my maiden name and had to make me a new key. They said the name I was sailing under had to match my passport. I have now sailed 4 or 5 times like that and just make sure that all cruises are booked under my maiden name so it matches my passport. I am just trying to get the most out of my passport, lol.

It is always best legally to keep everything the same. Why? Because, it's a legal thing.

Sure, you can get away with it by traveling that way,but you just never know.

Also, I just sent in my old passport becasse my name also changed. I paid to expedite it and it wasnt' much more, but it came in exactly a week. My daughter who has never had a passport received hers through the expedited service and it came the same way. She has had a name change also and we were not sure how it would be with a kid having a name change, etc. We changed her SS card, Birth certificate and got her passport all in about 2 weeks tops.

Good LUCK!

Oh, and Carnival changed their policy on name chagnes on their reservastions. They no longer charge the $50 for a name change, so that is a bonus too. EVEN if you are booked early saver! :-)

I think you would be fine to leave your name as it is now until after you get back. The name you are booked as has to match your travel documents. But I think you have time to get everything changed before you go. I got married in June and it was actually a really easy and quick process to change my name. First, change your name with the social security office. Then they will allow you to change your drivers license. Then you can change your passport. I didn't expedite my passport and it was back in about 3 weeks. The social security card came back in about a week or two. And the drivers license I got back that same day. It was a pretty painless process really.

If you use your passport as your documentation to board it must match the name you are booked under so it sounds like you are all set.

I booked a cruise in my married name and my passport was in my maiden name. When I got to port they changed my name back to my maiden name and had to make me a new key. They said the name I was sailing under had to match my passport. I have now sailed 4 or 5 times like that and just make sure that all cruises are booked under my maiden name so it matches my passport. I am just trying to get the most out of my passport, lol.

Not to go off topic but my maiden name is on my passport and I book in my married name. I just take my marriage license with me and never had a problem. Never had a new card issued or had to sail under maiden name.

Archived