Dawn or Le Gallion Beach?

heeb

Boy, those are two quite different beaches.

Dawn Beach is quite lovely, but in my opinion has been horribly over-developed. It certainly has a great view, but it faces the open Atlantic and is regularly almost too rough to enter the water. If it is a relatively calm day then it can be nice.

th_DSCN3875.jpg th_DSCF0347.jpg

(click)

Le Galion is beautiful, your vision of a Caribbean Beach, and usually as calm and smooth as a baby's bottom. It is known on the island as Baby Beach.

th_DSCN6229.jpg th_DSCN6237.jpg th_DSCN3348.jpg

gary

tt

Dawn Beach is quite lovely, but in my opinion has been horribly over-developed. It certainly has a great view, but it faces the open Atlantic and is regularly almost too rough to enter the water. If it is a relatively calm day then it can be nice.

(click)

Le Galion is beautiful, your vision of a Caribbean Beach, and usually as calm and smooth as a baby's bottom. It is known on the island as Baby Beach.

gary

Thanks for the response. The latter will be our choice.

(click)

gary

I agree with Gary and add that I have heard that the snorkelling by the rocks at Dawn Beach is decent when the water is not too rough. I have never snorkeled at Dawn beach because the water has always been too rough for that during my visits. We have never had close to decent snorkelling anywhere at Le Galion beach but like the islanders, I love this beach.

We love Dawn Beach! When we have been to Mr. Busbys Bar, there have always been people in swimming and snorkeling, guess just lucky it was calm those days. The view is beautiful! Also, The Westin at Dawn Beach is just spectacular. Love both those places! I much prefer it to Orient, have never been to Baby Beach.

We love Dawn Beach! When we have been to Mr. Busbys Bar, there have always been people in swimming and snorkeling, guess just lucky it was calm those days. The view is beautiful! Also, The Westin at Dawn Beach is just spectacular. Love both those places! I much prefer it to Orient, have never been to Baby Beach.

Thanks for posting. We'll be at the Westin in three weeks and I was starting to do a bit of second guessing. Hopefully, we'll hit one of those calm beach days.

Pat

I agree with Gary and add that I have heard that the snorkelling by the rocks at Dawn Beach is decent when the water is not too rough. I have never snorkeled at Dawn beach because the water has always been too rough for that during my visits. We have never had close to decent snorkelling anywhere at Le Galion beach but like the islanders, I love this beach.

When you went to Le Gallion Beach how did you get there?

Edited by heeb

We (and karysa, too) always have a car when we're on island.

You'd be taking a taxi. Le Galion is adjacent to Orient, so the taxi fare should be the same. There won't be a taxi standing by, but Chez Pat should be able to call one for you.

th_Destinationsnew.jpg

(click)

Speaking of Chez Pat :), that's the facility on le Galion. In season, like when you're there, they are open 7 days. Off season, they close Mondays. Note that prices on their website are in Euros.

gary

p.s. They offer an Internet Coupon.

• 2 months later...

Sabiney how was the westin - I am looking into that as a option when we get there in May. If you can give me some details I would appreciate it - taxi cost - did you get a day pass - i read on here that as long as you order lunch or drinks you dont have to get a day pass is that true ? thanks again

Sabiney how was the westin - I am looking into that as a option when we get there in May. If you can give me some details I would appreciate it - taxi cost - did you get a day pass - i read on here that as long as you order lunch or drinks you dont have to get a day pass is that true ? thanks again

Gary posted the taxi chart on post #10 of this thread. The prices are for each way and the Westin is at Dawn Beach.

Thanks for posting. We'll be at the Westin in three weeks and I was starting to do a bit of second guessing. Hopefully, we'll hit one of those calm beach days.

Pat

We spend a couple of weeks at Dawn Beach every January - 14th-28th this year; at Oyster Bay on the north end of the beach. While it is occasionally a bit rough, we have never seen it too rough to swim - the outer reef prevents any really large waves from coming in.

Also interested in further information on the Westin at Dawn Beach and the day pass from anyone that has done this?

My other option is the day pass at Radisson Blu so wondering how that beach/factility compares!

Also interested in further information on the Westin at Dawn Beach and the day pass from anyone that has done this?

My other option is the day pass at Radisson Blu so wondering how that beach/factility compares!

Anse Marcel beach is a lovely calm cove. The hills of Anse Marcel are picture perfect and where I would want to live on the island.

Anse Marcel beach is a lovely calm cove. The hills of Anse Marcel are picture perfect and where I would want to live on the island.

I am assuming you are referring to the Radisson (was not sure what beach it was one) - any possibility of snorkeling there?...and how far from port? (we will be there on that super busy/7 ships in port day)...!!!

I am assuming you are referring to the Radisson (was not sure what beach it was one) - any possibility of snorkeling there?...and how far from port? (we will be there on that super busy/7 ships in port day)...!!!

Yes the Radisson Blu and Le Domaine resorts are on Anse Marcel Beach. I will take a guess and say that a taxi from the port will cost about $30 one way for 2 people and take about 35 minutes. I have not snorkeled there but have seen people snorkeling on both ends of cove.

Yes the Radisson Blu and Le Domaine resorts are on Anse Marcel Beach. I will take a guess and say that a taxi from the port will cost about $30 one way for 2 people and take about 35 minutes. I have not snorkeled there but have seen people snorkeling on both ends of cove.

Thanks for your help - sounds like Dawn/Westin is probably closer to the port and easier to get to and from - especially when returning to port in the afternoon (with around 20,000 other cruisers LOLOL) :)

Thanks for your help - sounds like Dawn/Westin is probably closer to the port and easier to get to and from - especially when returning to port in the afternoon (with around 20,000 other cruisers LOLOL) :)

Anse Marcel is definitely further because it is the Northern tip of the island but that's what makes it a great place to visit on a 7 ship day. Unlike the Mullet/Maho side of the island, the traffic and time to get from Anse Marcel is quite predictable. We were there a year ago on Jan 2 nd with 7 ships in port. We visited Marigot, Grand Case, Le Galion and shopped in Philipsburg. We avoided the Simpson Bay, Maho/Mullet area and did not find the crowds or traffic to be any issue what-so-ever. Enjoy your day whatever you choose. :)

Anse Marcel is definitely further because it is the Northern tip of the island but that's what makes it a great place to visit on a 7 ship day. Unlike the Mullet/Maho side of the island, the traffic and time to get from Anse Marcel is quite predictable. We were there a year ago on Jan 2 nd with 7 ships in port. We visited Marigot, Grand Case, Le Galion and shopped in Philipsburg. We avoided the Simpson Bay, Maho/Mullet area and did not find the crowds or traffic to be any issue what-so-ever. Enjoy your day whatever you choose. :)

That is why I was looking at Dawn Beach - I believe it is on the 'east' side of the island - closer to Pburg - thereby avoiding the Maho/Simpson bay area and 'cruise rush hour! LOL...

That is why I was looking at Dawn Beach - I believe it is on the 'east' side of the island - closer to Pburg - thereby avoiding the Maho/Simpson bay area and 'cruise rush hour! LOL...

Yes you are correct. It's two beaches before Orient. Dawn beach has a nice view of St. Bart's on a clear day. I don't like what the buildings have done to the look of this beach itself though.

How close is the Butterfly Farm to Galion Beach? We would take a taxi from the port to the Butterfly Farm then were wondering how to get to the beach from there. Thanks!:)

It's less than 700 yards from the Butterfly Farm to the beach at Le Galion, and just a wee bit further to the beach bar/restaurant, Chez Pat.

It's a level road, should be an easy walk unless you have an infant in a stroller or it is raining, or it is really hot. Watch for traffic.

gary