Inspiration - Tampa early flight home

frito58

We just decided to book an inexpensive cruise on Inspiration because of some cheap fares available thru Southwest airlines. Problem is this, the best available flight leaves Tampa at 11:55 (nonstop) back to Columbus. We know this is cutting it a little close but the only other option is to wait until 7PM. We have not been to Tampa airport in several years, is this an option for us or should we plan on spending time in Tampa. Has anybody experienced delays in deporting from the Inspiration?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Steve and Jayne

We just decided to book an inexpensive cruise on Inspiration because of some cheap fares available thru Southwest airlines. Problem is this, the best available flight leaves Tampa at 11:55 (nonstop) back to Columbus. We know this is cutting it a little close but the only other option is to wait until 7PM. We have not been to Tampa airport in several years, is this an option for us or should we plan on spending time in Tampa. Has anybody experienced delays in deporting from the Inspiration?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Steve and Jayne

When is the cruise? Is it during spring break? a holiday? hurricane season?? that would make a difference... that is cutting it pretty close. The airport is not that far... you would need to get VIP tags so you can get off the ship once it clears customs... and high tail it to the airport... you will been to be at the airport by 10:30'ish... just have a backup plan just in case. Tampa, a few times, has had a problem with the tanker ship in the bay, and had to use a remote area to debark passengers, and bus people to the terminal... which causes a delay... so anything can happen... just make sure you have a backup plan in case you miss the original flight.

my first cruise, last january, was on the inspiration, and we had a 1225pm flight on southwest. we got the vip tags, and still didnt manage to get off the ship until about 1130 and we missed our flight. we never really did get a reason as to what took so long to get off the ship, we do know from looking out the windows that we didnt even pull into port until around 830, and then they kept calling for the non-us citizens over the intercom. we got standby on the next flight at 230, but werent able to get on it. we ended up having to pay about $50 extra to guarantee that we'd get on the 800pm flight. just something to be aware of.

I would suggest booking the later flight, and if you DO get to the airport early, you can always try to go standby on the earlier flight if there is availability... i do that all the time on Southwest, but generally the flights are full... I just wouldn't chance it. Also, make sure you have travel insurance!!! Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

hi frito.... my mom (55) and me (30) will be on the inspriation sept. 12th and we to have the same flight back to columbus. we live in springfield about an hour from col.airport. well i didnt see any other flights on southwest later on saturday. let me know if you do.

We just got back Sunday on the Miracle into Tampa. We decided to do the self debarkation and carried our own bags off the ship. Not sure if it's the same for all ships but, it's self-debarkation first, early flights and then general debarkation. We got in line for general debarkation at 9 am and were off the ship in 20 minutes, bypassing all of those people looking for their luggage! Hopped in a taxi,($20 total)and got to the airport by 9:45 for an 11:10 flight. Note:We fly stand-by so we have to be flexible,so I'm not sure I would actually book one that early. Best to allow a little more time.

Archived