Istanbul on your own

We (my wife, myself and our two teenagers) will be in Istanbul in August traveling on Celebrity Galaxy. We are thinking of touring Istanbul on our own. (We've done lots of traveling before). How easy is it to get around (taxis or public transportation)? Any suggestions for a restaurant for dinner (we will be there on night)? Any other comments? Thanks!

We were in Istanbul for 2 days pre-cruise a few years ago. We took 2 tours that were arranged by Princess Cruises. One was a boat ride on the Bosphorus (great!) and one was a bus tour to the Ottomans Palace. (of course, as luck would have it, we were there on a Sunday, and the harem was closed. :( )

We stayed at the Ciragen Palace (great hotel), but I don't remember any of the restaurants we ate at. I know one was on the shores of the Bosphorus--a nice, outside place with a great view.

I loved Istanbul---have a great time!

In reply to your question Istanbul is very easy to get around and very safe.I would suggest a taxi (which are plentiful) from the ship to the old city where you can visit the Blue Mosque amongst other relgious sites, all very close together. A short tram ride will get you to both the Topkapi palace and the grand bazaar. Do read up on this wonderful city and plan your day thoroughly, as you simply will have time for only a glimpse in one day.

As for eating, If you would like to eat casually, there are lots of fun places in the old flower market and there is also a great area with open air restaurants near the road to the airport...sorry but can't recall name.As we have only eaten casually in Istabul I cannot help you with ''posher'' recommendations. By the way, try a doner kebab for lunch !!

If you are independently minded and like to explore on your own this is certainly a city where you can manage very easily and a ship's tour is not necessary.

We did two days pre-cruise in 2000 at the Four Seasons in the old city. Everything was within easy walking distance of the hotel, except for the Bazaar, a $5 cab ride at the time. The hotel concierge recommended an excellent restaurant...the hotel restaurant was frightfully expensive!

Hope you don't hit Istanbul during Ramadan: the restaurants are painfully empty during the day...

The mosques are off-limits to visitors on Fridays so plan accordingly.

Archived