Trip start date- two trips close together

austinhoops

So today is my day for asking a lot of trip insurance questions. :)

Background- I have a policy with Travel Guard for a trip to Europe next summer and I can add trip non-refundable costs as I incur them. I have not yet purchased airfare but plan to do so soon. As it turns out, my niece is now getting married the weekend before we leave for our trip overseas and we plan to fly to her wedding. We are thinking that we'll just book our overseas airfare from the city where the wedding is held, instead of flying home first.

I was not planning to insure the weekend trip to her wedding, but now I'm starting to wonder if that could cause a problem. Is there any reason we would need to include that as part of our insured trip overseas? In my mind they are two different trips, but I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize the validity of my policy. We would be starting our overseas trip from a city that is not our hometown.

Hope this makes sense.

Chances are it would not cost too much more to add the few days (week) of the wedding. Say you booked your airfare from wedding city and something kept you from getting there (and you therefore missed your European flight). Would insurance cover your missed flight to Europe? Not sure I explained it very well but I would call Travel Guard and ask them. I just added two weeks onto the end of my next cruise because I will be staying on in the UK. No problem and they did not charge me any extra.

If you ar not going home after the wedding, then I would book the insurance for the whole thing. Insurance will see it as one trip, with multiple locations.

Best to call and ask them directly, though, since you will be changing he start date.

Archived