Packing Advice - 1st Time Cruiser

Shiny137

Another question about packing! This time camera vs phone camera. Since I've gotten an iPhone I tend to use it as my main camera because it has more megapixels than my digital camera. However, phones are more expensive nowadays and more fragile. What do you prefer to use when taking photos? Camera with slightly less quality or phone?

Also, what do you ladies do for purses? I don't want to be carrying bag around at all times, but they are convenient to hold things. I was thinking for days in port, just a backpack instead of a purse? That way it can hold my wallet, sea pass card, passport, camera, etc. Plus if I go to the beach and want to swim I can have my cover up/change of clothes in it if we go shopping after.

Mm, if your digital camera has fewer megapixels than your phone, it's time to get a new camera! Haha, we usually bring two cameras on each trip and leave the phones in the safe, we kinda love the idea of being unplugged from phones for a week. We have a waterproof camera that we'll bring on beach days and a nicer one for everyday use. I would really recommend getting a good camera, because it's not just megapixels that matter. If you have ~8 MP or so, you're pretty much set unless you want to print posters. But one thing that cameras have over phones are nicer lenses and better zoom. You can easily find digital cameras with double-digit optical zoom now, and it's wonderfully useful!

As for purses..I'm still trying to figure that out, honestly! =( Last cruise, I'd usually carry at most a wristlet on the boat, sometimes not even that. In port, I'd usually go with a big bulky purse, which is very annoying. I got sunscreen and sand all over my nice purse and even without all the stuff I pack into it, it's HEAVY dragging on one shoulder all the time. I find that crossbodies aren't big enough for all the stuff I need, because I want at minimum to be able to carry our bottled waters (it's important to stay hydrated!) and sunscreen (the BF burns like a lobster, so it's important to reapply throughout the day). I feel like a boyscout, trying to be prepared for everything and carrying it all with me! So I'm kinda in the same boat, scratching my head trying to figure out what to do, too. I DID buy a giant beach bag for beach days, because there's no way our change of clothes, wet swimsuits, towels and snorkeling gear is going in my purse.

I may just do what you do and give in and buy a backpack. It sure would be nicer to my shoulders after a day or two!

Regarding wearing your bikini- definitely go for it! I'm probably one of the 'slim' girls you'd be worried about (5'5 and 125lb), but I often look at larger girls in their bikinis and think, wow, look at her curves! I wish I looked like that. So don't always think that it's just a one way thing! Enjoy your cruise, I'm jealous!

• 2 weeks later...
I am leaving for a Caribbean cruise in two weeks and I am unsure on a few things. I've been reading a lot of different articles, reviews and threads here but I figured I'd just post my specific question.

It looks like we will have two formal nights on our cruise. However, from the menu samples I've found for the MDR, my bf and I are thinking we probably won't eat there. We're quite simple and picky when it comes to food. The MDR looks to have beautiful fancy delicious food. I am pretty sure I could find something but bf is super picky so we're not planning on eating there much if at all.

We do have a free specialty dinner that was part of a package when we booked so I think we'll be safe at Chops Grille and order steak. I plan to wear a dress for that. For guys, are pants and a polo shirt okay or does he need to wear a jacket/tie?

Also, we plan on attending a few of the shows on board. What is the attire for that? I'm sure it's not formal (tux/dresses) but what is best? Sundress instead of shorts for me? Can bf wear shorts and a tshirt or should he dress nicer? I guess I'm more concerned about what he plans to pack. He joked saying he was fine with swimsuit and tshirts and I was like uh, you need a FEW nice things!

Lastly, I'm not sure if this question is in the right section but swimsuit wise. I have lost about 30 pounds and really wanted to wear a bikini. I've never been able to wear one before. However my goal had been to be closer to 40-50 pounds down from where I was. I'm 5'6 and 154 pounds. I'm not fat but I'm not a tiny fit girl either. I hold most of my weight in my stomach too which is why I've never worn a two piece. My friends and bf say I look fine and should go for it because I'll never see anyone again. Yet I'm still a bit insecure. I don't want to be the fat girl on the ship that people wish would cover up. So I guess my question is...do you see a lot of people of all shapes and sizes in two pieces or is it mostly just the young thin beautiful ones?

First of all, as for the theater shows, I have seen people go in everything from their formal wear to comfy pants and a tshirt.

Also, and most importantly, Im basically the same height and weight as you and still a bit squishy in parts like the tummy, but im darn well bringing a bikini :0) (even if it feels flashy to be in one). Im going on my first caribbean cruise in 10 days but I have been to hawaii many times and judging by what ive seen on all the islands there, woman of many sizes wear bikinis. its just the thing you wear on a beach to get a decent tan. there will be the slender ones of course but there will also be every other size up to crazy. promise.

Another question about packing! This time camera vs phone camera. Since I've gotten an iPhone I tend to use it as my main camera because it has more megapixels than my digital camera. However, phones are more expensive nowadays and more fragile. What do you prefer to use when taking photos? Camera with slightly less quality or phone?

Also, what do you ladies do for purses? I don't want to be carrying bag around at all times, but they are convenient to hold things. I was thinking for days in port, just a backpack instead of a purse? That way it can hold my wallet, sea pass card, passport, camera, etc. Plus if I go to the beach and want to swim I can have my cover up/change of clothes in it if we go shopping after.

As for bags, I usually bring my small super light weight material purse for around the ship just to carry any little things i might need. going out and about, I do backpack but I will warn you that your back can get insanely sweaty and hot. a smaller backpack is good and its even better to clip the zippers together with a small carabiner. adds a bit of safety behind you when walking around.