Excursions - Northern Lights

Active8

Hi everyone

I'm travelling on the Oriana in 2015, yes 2015!! to see the Northern Lights.

The trip is operating on 2 nights and there are a variety of times that the excursion leaves when I go through the on-line booking. I know the trip is for 4 hours but it doesn't say how far we have to travel to our destination, so am not sure what the best time to pick.

Has anyone done the excursion (or booked the excursion for cruise going in March 2014) and could tell me what would be the best time or is it just pick one and hope you're lucky!! I thought I'd go for the second date as the first is Friday 13th.

Thanks a lot

Alison

I would doubt very much that you are able to book this trip this far ahead for 2015?

Anyway - for march 2014 we have booked for the 9pm trip since the bumf says that the best time for sightings is 9-12 midnight and it is a three hour tour.

Here's hoping!

If you carry 4 lucky rabbits' feet (still attached to or detached from the rabbit, it makes no difference) plus the lucky touchwood from your birthday and the month of travel, you can negate virtually all the evil effects which always happen when anyone less prepared travels on Friday 13th.

As for the rest, it's pot luck. Just make sure it's a proper night-time trip, because they're up to 12-hour daylight (like the rest of the world) on or about 21st March.

Hi Claire

Wow - it's a once in a lifetime trip but yes they are expensive!! Luckily for me - there's only me to pay for but still need paying for :) Glad to know I'm not the only person on board for the cruise!!!!

I have 2 Christmas's & birthdays in which to ask for contributions & to find appropriate thermals!!! Will be booking mine today hopefully.

My main ones are the northern lights, pulpit rock & husky sledging - which are expensive. Will look further at the others - I also liked the evening recital

Am really excited & looking forward it it :D

Alison

Hi Claire

Wow - it's a once in a lifetime trip but yes they are expensive!! Luckily for me - there's only me to pay for but still need paying for :) Glad to know I'm not the only person on board for the cruise!!!!

I have 2 Christmas's & birthdays in which to ask for contributions & to find appropriate thermals!!! Will be booking mine today hopefully.

My main ones are the northern lights, pulpit rock & husky sledging - which are expensive. Will look further at the others - I also liked the evening recital

Am really excited & looking forward it it :D

Alison

It's very easy to Pulpit Rock independently. Have a look online. they are usually much cheaper than ship's tours. Just make sure you get back before the ship sails!!

It's very easy to Pulpit Rock independently. Have a look online. they are usually much cheaper than ship's tours. Just make sure you get back before the ship sails!!

We did the Pulpit Rock excursion independently. The boats doing the trip up the Lysefjord as far as Pulpit Rock were moored right next to our ship so very easy to find, enjoyed the trip and we were back on board in plenty of time for lunch and then take off again to explore the town.

Go for it Active8, you won't regret it. Have a great cruise, we know you will :D

• 1 month later...
I would doubt very much that you are able to book this trip this far ahead for 2015?

Anyway - for march 2014 we have booked for the 9pm trip since the bumf says that the best time for sightings is 9-12 midnight and it is a three hour tour.

Here's hoping!

We too are booked on the 9pm trip, I think on 20 March as we're booked on the snow mobiling on 19. As we couldn't book until 6 weeks or so ago, I don't understand how anyone can book for the 2015 cruise excursions already?