Paid M&G price increase. Wow!

firemanbobswife

There have been many interesting comments including those that have stated "Boy they lost money on us! "

I also understand that this is a huge jump in the cost. Perhaps Carnival felt it was like a band-aid.

Better to take it off (or in this case raise it up) with one swipe.

The one issue I don't understand is why it now has to be paid in advance. Were people committing to a certain group size and then trying to back out ?

There have been many interesting comments including those that have stated "Boy they lost money on us! "

I also understand that this is a huge jump in the cost. Perhaps Carnival felt it was like a band-aid.

Better to take it off (or in this case raise it up) with one swipe.

The one issue I don't understand is why it now has to be paid in advance. Were people committing to a certain group size and then trying to back out ?

Dont understand pay in advance at all. Hard to get people on a roll call to come together and pay so far in advance.

Guess in the future it will be mostly groups traveling together booking at same time.

So I called today to finalize the M&G for our January 5 Conquest Cruise and was told that they increased all the prices on anything booked today or later. They also changed the packages. Basically, what used to be an hour open bar for approx $11.50 pp is now $18.40pp (including mandatory gratuity) with less selection.

I understand that they hadn't had a price increase for a long time, and I'm sure it was due, but now if you want a truly open bar with premium booze, it's $25.30. To me that's just a little crazy. And an adult can't purchase the soda package when alcohol is being served. Only 21 or younger.

And they want you to pay the full deposit upfront. No thanks.

Not that I would expect them to announce ahead of time that they were having an astronomical price increase, but geez! Guess that's what I get for waiting until I think I have the final figure or pretty close to it.

I'm putting the old price list and the new list (partials) here.

ude8uhu8.jpggydy6eba.jpg

Glad I had my Splendor one last month!:cool::eek:;)

• 1 month later...
See if this is better. The originals were put up here from my cell phone. I just took the important parts from the whole emails because the size of the pdfs were too big to post here.

Hope this helps someone who is thinking (or not) about having a paid M&G.

Thank you. Planning one for December 2014 group cruise...might need to take a whole of liquor back to cabin...lol

See if this is better. The originals were put up here from my cell phone. I just took the important parts from the whole emails because the size of the pdfs were too big to post here.

Hope this helps someone who is thinking (or not) about having a paid M&G.

Thank you. Run back and forth to rooms with liquor to break even...lol

Edited by rob6465

Actually in the past Carnival used to charge upfront for the cocktail parties. The solution is simple, you reserve for the bare minimum of 20 people. You collect three weeks out for the rollcall. You then call to increase to the actual number. This way you are not having to have as much of your money tied up. The only downside is exceeding tha capacity of the venue. Personally, I will not be booking anymore in the future. Another option is to have a M&G and do it as a pay as you go with each person paying for their own drink.

Edited by jetskier

It was a bargain before and a nice feature of Carnival but at those prices I am not sure how many people will commit or even want it, especially if the cheaper package has limited drinks

Better IMHO to just reserve a venue and pay as you go

another thing - with some people on the "cheers" program they have no incentive to go with a party like this

maybe Carnival is hoping the cheers will be the choice for many??

IMO this is a move to say we still offer private functions but we're going to make sure you really want to do it. It will take more commitment from passengers and CCL will be assured more profit for putting it on.

for all those saying that CCL 'lost money on us for sure'...I doubt that as an entire party they lost out. if you had 30 people at an event any everyone paid $12, thats $360...you may drink more than the 'menu price' for drinks, but compared to their cost they still made some money. Their cost on beer and liquor is under a dollar per unit for most of what they serve, on cheap booze for frozen drinks and well drinks its even cheaper.

I would argue that where they are losing the money is a paying someone at carnival to coordinate these events. I consider these parties a nice gesture that they even offered them. By the time they pay the people on land to arrange this and extra staff to clean up after the event, I imagine there was little finical benefit to carnival regardless of the size of the group. The money just isn't there...so a factional increase probably was not worth it, double probably was.

and like other things, now that the price is up, if demand slips the program will be eliminated due to 'lack of interest' from the passengers and those that want to party as a group can pay by the drink or sign up for Cheers.

• 2 months later...
Actually in the past Carnival used to charge upfront for the cocktail parties. The solution is simple, you reserve for the bare minimum of 20 people. You collect three weeks out for the rollcall. You then call to increase to the actual number. This way you are not having to have as much of your money tied up. The only downside is exceeding tha capacity of the venue. Personally, I will not be booking anymore in the future. Another option is to have a M&G and do it as a pay as you go with each person paying for their own drink.

need some advice for anyone who's set up a group open bar party recently. i'm worried about is that actual end number will not the the same as i'm expecting. i know everyone is going to say they are coming (this will be one of the perks of our group cruise) because the $ won't be coming from them directly but as part of our group package. which also means that if they are at the pool and forget that p/p cost will be wasted. would i be able to pay an add on fee if i say 20 are coming then end up with 25? i chose the 1.5 hr party so the cost is $33 p/p.

I have organized/hosted the open bar m&g on our last 5 cruises. We've always had between 35 and 60 but once 105:eek:

Im currently planning one for our June 7 cruise but only 15 people have expressed any interest. Looks like the increase price and reduced selection has definitely impacted the attendance.

I have organized/hosted the open bar m&g on our last 5 cruises. We've always had between 35 and 60 but once 105:eek:

Im currently planning one for our June 7 cruise but only 15 people have expressed any interest. Looks like the increase price and reduced selection has definitely impacted the attendance.

thanks for replying...how does carnival keep a head count? the last party i went to we didn't have wrist bands or anything so does carnival just take my word on how many people will be attending? that doesn't seem right LOL

would i be able to pay for add ons on the day of if i under estimate the number?

thanks for replying...how does carnival keep a head count? the last party i went to we didn't have wrist bands or anything so does carnival just take my word on how many people will be attending? that doesn't seem right LOL

would i be able to pay for add ons on the day of if i under estimate the number?

I too have hosted several cc cocktail party's and for the last two found some wristbands on ebay as I have read some threads about lurkers and others crashing the parties and the organizer, that's you, had to pay extra as in that case; carnival did a count!;):eek: Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

When I ran one they asked me for the count and accepted it.

I gave everyone a wrist band as they entered the room and told bartenders no wrist band no service.

Based on the changes expect we have gone to our last private cocktail party.

They have just asked me for confirmation before.

I usually print name tags with screen name and real first name on them. I usually add about $2.00 to everyones total before hand and tip the bartender/servers that $ "extra" before the m&g starts. Then I just ask the servers not to serve anyone without a name tag..

FYI the extra $20 they each get seems to be greatly appreciated.

thanks everyone for the suggestions

our group isn't a CC group its family & friends so anyone who tries to sneak in will be obvious. then again i don't want to have to keep watch so i may order bracelets

hopefully someone will have experience with going over their number and can advise on how that was handled

thanks again

They have just asked me for confirmation before.

I usually print name tags with screen name and real first name on them. I usually add about $2.00 to everyones total before hand and tip the bartender/servers that $ "extra" before the m&g starts. Then I just ask the servers not to serve anyone without a name tag..

FYI the extra $20 they each get seems to be greatly appreciated.

I passed a hat for bartender/servers to the 50+ attendees and the staff did real well and deserved it!;):cool:

I found the same issue. Next time I'm just going to plan a meet and greet at Red Frog and skip the charges.