Best time of the year to cruise DCL?

pinkie

We are looking at a 3 or 4 day cruise with our kids (3yr, 7yr, 10yr). We are wondering if there is an off time? Looking at less kids and possibly less expensive rates? Any suggestions?

Least expensive is usually SEPTEMBER...and also October through mid-December, excluding holidays.

There are ALWAYS kids on DCL, no matter when you go, but definitely less kids when school is in session, especially early September...when most kids have just started school.

The fall is the least expensive time to go but it's also hurricane season. Any time that kids are out of school is going to be more expensive. Why do they charge more? Because they can.

I look at the school calendar as soon as it becomes available and search for those "teacher conference" days where they close the school for a couple of days. Those are a great opportunity to add a couple of days and go on a cruise. The prices are lower and there's fewer people traveling so air is less.

• 5 months later...

We got a steal of a deal !!! $1,600 for 2 adults and one child, cat 9. on the wonder including trip insurance, transfers, and onboard tips!!!. the added plus is my daughter will only miss 2 days of school because the MLK holiday and two teacher professional days!!! :D I will look to january to book our next cruise.

You definitely get your price breaks in September and January - March. Once spring hits, the prices go up. However, you take your chances on the weather in September. We have been January (2x), June, and November. I have to say that this past week has been the best one we have ever had weather wise. The seas were really calm. Didn't feel the motion of the ship until about 1:00 a.m. on the return to Canaveral. Water in Castaway was a little chillier than I like, but as long as the sun was out it was bearable. You forget how cold you are when you are enjoying the underwater life in the snorkel lagoon. Air temps were in the low to mid 80's and we had beautiful sunny days in Nassau and Castaway. When we cruised at the end of January and in March, it was way to cold for swimming or snorkeling. I think we really lucked out this time.

Archived