Reading all the forums and now second guessing

slhb

I literally booked a cruise on a last minute whim a few days ago. In doing so I booked an early morning nonstop flight that arrives in FLL at 9:45am on Southwest. We travel carry on only and have never had an issue making flight connections. Our Liberty departure is 4:30 so I assumed we would have a ton of time but now the forums have me second guessing. I've just priced out new air for the day before and no nonstop flights remain. Add hotel and we are close to an additional $850 cost. Has anyone truly missed a connection with that much time? We leave on a Monday morning on the 30th so most of the holiday travel will be over.

Leaving Pittsburg and arriving at FLL at 9:45am means that you leave really early- which is hwat you psoted about "early morning".

That's the best one to insure that the weather problems will be at a minimum. While the pilot can correct this, but for all of our travel history- I've noted that the early flights spend the night prior at the airport. And since airports "close" at times near midnight, the last super late arrivals tend to be 1-2am. So even with bad weather, the odds of you having a plane waiting for you is very, very high.

On top of that, the crew can't really arrive and move to your plane, as there are so few arrivals first thing in the morning.

So the two leading reasons for delay are minimized.

Mechanical- well, that's different. Yet even with that, you have many hours that the plane can mechanically be delayed (which on the tarmac, I should remind you) and still make it in time.

Weather related departures do happen, but unless there's an odd storm that continues first thing- it's better odds that time of day. Weather related landings- well, FLL has their share, but they are short in that part of the state, unless it's a major problem- say a hurricane. and if that's happening the same time you arrive, the ship won't be in port anyway.

Sure, it's a lot more calm to fly the day before.

But given a situation where you can't, the choice you made for flight was the best one- first flight of the day, direct, and with time to spare.

Trip insurance only covers you for very specific reasons, such as "carrier was delayed more than 6 hours". So you can't book any old time and expect to be covered. Read the policy before purchasing.

But I'm sure you'll be ok. We flew in the day of on most of our cruises until recently. I think most people do.

Archived