How long will I be able to hide that we are in a Suite?

cruisecritiquer

I kept the suite a surprise from hubby and the kids for almost two years. If I did it, so can you. :)

I kept showing them pictures of rooms similar that we have had on prior cruises. I picked a mid ship balcony room and told them that that was our room.

I hid the mail from ncl. I did everything to make sure they did not find out.

When we got to the pier , poor hubby was looking for "our" room number and I was walking toward the lady holding the haven sign. He looked at me like I had lost my damn mind and just stopped walking. When I finally managed to drag them all into the room , and then they saw it wasn't a joke,the kids started jumping up and down and hubby gave me a big hug and kiss. The staff were laughing and were amazed I was able to not tell them. :)

It was so hard but it was so worth it in the end. Seeing their surprised faces at the pier was absolutely priceless. Me, I was so exhausted mentally and physically from preparing and planning this trip all on my own. Lol. But definitely worth it to me.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Please keep it a secret until he figures it out...it will be more fun for us to read when you write about the big surprise...I am curious if it will be at the port...in the line...in lounge...when the final moment will be when he gets it!

Have a great cruise,

coka

Please keep it a secret until he figures it out...it will be more fun for us to read when you write about the big surprise...I am curious if it will be at the port...in the line...in lounge...when the final moment will be when he gets it!

Have a great cruise,

coka

This! Just be as nonchalant as possible, head directly for the VIP/Suite Express line, check in with the attendant and have them send you on your way through the process. If you don't act like anything is unusual, there's a chance he won't pick up on it right away - especially if you keep him occupied with your son, while you handle all the paperwork, etc.

Obviously at some point in the check-in process it will dawn on him, and the gig will be up, but it will still be an amazing surprise, and I'm sure he will be completely blown away.

Whatever you do, don't cheat yourselves out of that express check-in and embarkation. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite suite perks.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

When you get to check in and your husband starts getting suspicious you can just tell him that NCL follows CC, and they felt so bad about the My Husband Lost His ID posts, that they upgraded you to a better cabin. If he believes that story you are home free. Hope it all works out for you and you all get to enjoy your trip.

I too am wanting to surprise my DH with our upcoming suite. I did it easily last cruise but we were just in an aft balcony and he thought we had an inside but there of course was no special treatment.

Luckily my DH just lets me do all of the planning (he just contributes $$$) but I know once we get to the Port of Miami he may catch on. I might try the old "latitudes" boarding thing. Not that he is clueless but he is just happy to be getting on a ship so he might just believe me.

The hard thing is for me to keep it a secret for the next 5 months:eek:

I think it is really nice what you are doing. But have you thought about telling him? I think half of the fun about stuff like this is the anticipation and talking about it before it happens. Me and my wife both agreed many years ago that we would not surprise each other. It s funner to think about it and share it with each other. Just a thought. I know not everyone is the same. You know your husband and know if he will like the surprise or to be told now and look forward to it.

Plus it is easier on you if you tell him now. Lol.

This is the deal DH and I have. We want to both enjoy all the good things in life for as long as possible. :). I booked a hotel room facing the canal in Venice for the night before our upcoming may cruise and shared it with him immediately. This was a few months ago. I read a great trip advisor report on it (99% of people gave it glowing reviews) on the weekend and he asked me to send him the link to the hotel. I told him that I did a few months ago and that it was the same hotel. He said that he thinks that it got deleted and wanted to have it to look at every now and then because he is so looking forward to it. I feel the same way and that is why I look at it from time to time as well.

Either way a suite sounds wonderful. Enjoy.:)

I wish you good luck on surprising your husband. My partner tried to do the same but he couldn't stand the pressure. He told me he upgraded us to the 2BR family suite on Epic transatlantic just 2 weeks before we departed. We just returned this past Saturday and it was amazing.

BTW, we were in suite 17029 and our butler was Leo. If you are fortunate

enough to have Leo as your butler you are going to be in for a treat. The man is a gem! He was constantly aiming to please but best of all his human character was wonderful. Such a terrific person. NCL is lucky to have him and I hope you are too.

Enjoy! We sure did.

John

You could go innocently stand in the long Latitudes line, and then someone would walk you over to the suite check in. How do I know this? We were VIPed but we didn't know it and this is what happened to us.

However, if you go at a peak time and the lines are really long, I'm not sure I'd be okay finding out that I didn't HAVE to stand in that long line.

Your gig will be up long before you get to your stateroom.

First of all, your luggage tags will say VIP!!

Then when you get to the port, there will be attendants in the Latitudes Line that will see you have a suite number stateroom and will try to direct you to the suite check in. It won't happen once.

Funny you mention this.... strangely, my luggage tags say LIME, even though I'm in a spa suite.

You could say you scored priority boarding for a small fee, and let him be excited that he gets to skip a line (or angry that you "blew" $50 or whatever you claim it cost).

But you can't really control what they say to you upon check-in, and if I recall correctly, we were fussed over as "our very special guests" from the moment we entered the VIP section (which in Boston is really just folding chairs behind a rope!)

But if you say you got a good deal on priority boarding so you can briefly see how the other half live, or something like that, and you take the point position in dealing with the concierge/person manning the area, you might be able to get a word of warning to them to keep the secret for you. Perhaps he'll be so dazed by the swift movement you make through the crowd he'll be congratulating you on scoring that great VIP boarding pass and not paying attention to stuff around him.

Our time in the VIP section to being whisked away to our room was about 20 seconds, so it could happen. But I wouldn't bother trying to pre-arrange the secret with NCL -- too many personnel and too much boarding chaos to pull that off.

Since he thinks you are booked in a mini-suite tell him NCL has changed policies so that the mini suite guests check in with the regular suite guests. My DH would buy that without any explanations needed :D.

I agree with SuzanneH. I think this would keep him from questioning about the extras. Definitely don't miss out on your VIP benefits. You paid for them! Use them! Have a great trip!:D