Izmir to Ephesus

This is one where a tour is recommended. Ephesus is over an hour from the port. Rick Steves even advises a tour, but does describe a three step process involving a taxi to the bus station, then a bus towards Kusadasi but getting off before the town and walking up hill for 15 minutes. He does not discuss getting back. We used Ephesus shuttle. We were very busy even with the tour and did not even have a stop for lunch. We did have a short port day, however.

Other posters may have more to add.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My wife and I have actually already been to Ephesus and are taking my son as a graduation present. So I was trying to stay away from a tour (hoping it would reduce the cost), but would be willing for a shuttle service if one is offered.

I researched a number of tour operators before I chose Ephesus Travel Guide as our tour company. It was an excellent choice. We had a private tour with a guide and driver. Our guide Denizhan, spoke perfect english. He was very professional and knowledgeable. The cost was less than the ship tour and we got to see a lot more. Our guide met us at the ship and we had a nice Mercedes van. I would highly recommend this company for a tour of Ephesus. Do not hesitate to use this company. You will not be disappointed.

Yeah, last night the boards became a viable option. I just need to find a couple looking for transportation to Ephesus. If I can do that it would cost around $35. Per person to get there.

Thanks

When will you be in Izmir? My husband & I will be there on 11/20 according to our ship's schedule, and were looking for either private excursions or DIY tours to Ephesus. The only bad thing is that our ship is in Izmir from 8:30am - 3:00pm, and I'm not sure if that's enough time for a private tour. :(

Agree that a tour is the best option. However, we would add that we have also rented cars in Turkey and the roads are quite good. We take our own GPS so have no problems with getting lost...... Not a big fan of driving in Izmir...but once out of town the E87 Highway is an easy drive. The reality about renting a car is that its usually the least costly way to get around...and we love having the freedom to go where we want, when we want. The downside of having a car at Ephesus is that you have to double back through the ruins to get back to the car....whereas when you are on a tour (or have a driver) you can simply walk downhill through the ruins and meet your transportation at the lower exit.

Hank

Hank - who do you rent from in Turkey/Izmir?

Have not rented there in a few years but I believe (not sure anymore) that we used Sixt. Most of the majors have a city office although you might need a quick (and cheap) taxi from the port to most of the rental car locations. Turkey also tends to have small local rental car companies so it pays to look around on the web to see if you can find a responsive agency closer to the port.

Most of our rentals have been in Kusadasi where there are quite a few agencies within walking distance to the port. Renting cars in Turkey can be interesting :). The last time we rented a car from Avis, they gave us a car with no gas. The agency manager assured us we had enough gas to get to a gas station...and suggested we return the car on empty. Since the gauge was below empty on pick-up we did hold our collective breaths until we found a gas station on our way out of Kusadasi.

Hank