Tipping Policy

musicfam

Did you ever stop to think Royal Caribbean should pay them more then Fifty Dollars a month.Twenty four Dollars a day is a great tip.:confused:

Yes, I do think that RCCl, and other cruise lines, should pay their crew members better. Who do you think will pay the difference if they do? Rather than charge for gratuities, they will add the $12 pp/per day to everyone's cruise fare. I would prefer it it be done that way, actually. The $12 is being divided among several crew members, so it's a good tip, not a great tip.

Edited by Marelaine

Yes, I do think that RCCl, and other cruise lines, should pay their crew members better. Who do you think will pay the difference if they do? Rather than charge for gratuities, they will add the $12 pp/per day to everyone's cruise fare. I would prefer it it be done that way, actually. The $12 is being divided among several crew members, so it's a good tip, not a great tip.

rather the way it is now.

rather the way it is now.

It doesn't make any difference to me because, either way, I'm going to pay it and not complain. Eliminating the automatic gratuities and charging more for cruise fare would clear up confusion for those who aren't accustomed to tipping, either because it's not part of their culture or because they are trying to save money at the crew's expense.

Eliminating the 'gratuity' and raising the fares would also preempt rude discussions where where gentlemen accuse Scots of being cheap, Americans of showboating their tipping style and eating more than their share of food to make up the difference.

It doesn't make any difference to me because, either way, I'm going to pay it and not complain. Eliminating the automatic gratuities and charging more for cruise fare would clear up confusion for those who aren't accustomed to tipping, either because it's not part of their culture or because they are trying to save money at the crew's expense.

Eliminating the 'gratuity' and raising the fares would also preempt rude discussions where where gentlemen accuse Scots of being cheap, Americans of showboating their tipping style and eating more than their share of food to make up the difference.

I know this will probably never happen. But it would be nice if RCI offered an all inclusive package for those who want to take advantage of it. Have everything included in the cruise fare. Tips and booze all included in the pay one price.

Are Scot's cheap? Do American eat a bigger share of food? I don't know. That's a pretty broad brush you are painting with.

I know this will probably never happen. But it would be nice if RCI offered an all inclusive package for those who want to take advantage of it. Have everything included in the cruise fare. Tips and booze all included in the pay one price.

Are Scot's cheap? Do American eat a bigger share of food? I don't know. That's a pretty broad brush you are painting with.

Oops! I'm not the one who said Scots are cheap and Americans over eat. Those insults were hurled by other posters in this thread on the previous pages. The comments were rude and didn't contribute much to the subject in a constructive way. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Edited by Marelaine
spelling

We leave the auto tip in place in order to cover ALL those who should receive the gratuity, not just those we come in contact with. For those we do interact a lot with, we often tip them additional in cash for excellent service during the cruise. Seems to me that by removing the tips you would be leaving out some service personnel who depend on gratuities for their living.

As someone else mentioned, I am afraid many of those who "remove the auto-tips so they can tip in cash", don't follow through and stiff the hard working staff. We know their are cultural differences when it comes to tipping and then some people...are just cheap. My vote is for non-discretionary gratuities that can not be removed...it is just part of the cost of a cruise vacation, no different that port fees and taxes.

Personally, I love the pre-paid gratuities as I always felt awkward tracking down the stateroom attendant, waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter, just to deliver an envelope on the last night. Last night of the cruise is much nicer for me with that out of the way!

Very important point for improving the quality of the last evening while making absolutely sure the right people get our appreciation.

• 4 months later...

This thread has been quite interesting. I have two questions though.

1) I opted for early set dining instead of MyTime and was told no auto gratuities would be added. After reading this I understand I WILL actually be charged a daily gratuity on my bill. Is that correct?

2) If gratuities are charged to my onboard account are they also taxed on my final bill?

This thread has been quite interesting. I have two questions though.

1) I opted for early set dining instead of MyTime and was told no auto gratuities would be added. After reading this I understand I WILL actually be charged a daily gratuity on my bill. Is that correct?

2) If gratuities are charged to my onboard account are they also taxed on my final bill?

Gratuities will be added to your on board account daily. They are not taxed.