Norwegian Getaway to become "Bud Light Hotel"

johnnypiano

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/11/05/norwegian-cruise-bud-light-hotel/3440601/

Norwegian Cruise Line's newest ship will be transformed into a Bud Light-themed hotel -- if only for a few days.

As USA TODAY's Laura Petrecca today reveals in an exclusive report on corporate party plans for Super Bowl XLVIII, Anheuser-Busch InBev will turn the soon-to-debut, 4,028-passenger Norwegian Getaway into a massive "Bud Light Hotel" lodging space and entertainment venue for the event.

The Norwegian Getaway will be docked in New York for the Feb. 2 game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., and the Bud Light Hotel will encompass the ship and the adjacent Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. Lodging will be available Thursday before the game through Monday morning.

As part of the transformation, A-B will plaster the Bud Light moniker on thousands of pillows, hand towels, shampoo bottles and other shipboard items, and will host concerts, business meetings and other gatherings in its event area. That space will include the Getaway, the deck of the retired military ship the Intrepid, its pier and the surrounding area.

Currently under construction at a shipyard in Germany, the 146,600-ton Norwegian Getaway is a sister to the six-month-old Norwegian Breakaway and is scheduled to debut in January. Like the Norwegian Breakaway, it will feature a sprawling, deck-top fun zone with five water slides; a restaurant-lined boardwalk; large production shows including Broadway's Legally Blonde; and a giant, two-deck spa. Five things you'll love about the Norwegian Breakaway.

Following pre-inaugural events and the Super Bowl, the Norwegian Getaway will head to Miami, where it will be based year-round for seven-night cruises to the Eastern Caribbean.

Why would they trash it? I'm guessing the people who will be invited to stay aboard will be higher rollers. They're not going to be on the ship drinking 2 cases of Bud per person per day.

This isn't the Kid Rock cruise - it's basically rich people invited to the Super Bowl using the ship and it's amenities. I don't anticipate it being trashed at all.

what a great way to trash a brand new ship!!

Wow the clueless folks in here have CLEARLY never been to a Super Bowl and have no idea what they are talking about...

The people invited to be on the ship for the events, for the most part, will be much higher class and wealthier than the passengers, who will normally be sailing on her...

The superbowl is not for middle class folks at all. (or even upper middle class)

Corporate big wigs and celebrities will be the majority of folks hanging out onboard. (i'm sure some of their best salespeople or contest winners will be present.)

The folks at the events will be saying, "thank goodness this ship is new and the NCL riff raff haven't had time to ruin the ship." As they sip their Bud Light from a fine crystal pint glasses, with their pinkies in the air. ;)

The ship will be just fine afterwards..

Wow the clueless folks in here have CLEARLY never been to a Super Bowl and have no idea what they are talking about...

The people invited to be on the ship for the events, for the most part, will be much higher class and wealthier than the passengers, who will normally be sailing on her...

The superbowl is not for middle class folks at all. (or even upper middle class)

Corporate big wigs and celebrities will be the majority of folks hanging out onboard. (i'm sure some of their best salespeople or contest winners will be present.)

The folks at the events will be saying, "thank goodness this ship is new and the NCL riff raff haven't had time to ruin the ship." As they sip their Bud Light from a fine crystal pint glasses, with their pinkies in the air. ;)

The ship will be just fine afterwards..

Yup - I don't understand the uproar and how it's going to be trashed.....if they can make a ship perfect after a music sailing (which is notoriously a party ship - lots of drinking and partying), there will be no issues after this. Not to mention the publicity it will generate.

Funny thing is DH and I are volunteering to work at a hotel in NYC on Friday, manning a Super Bowl desk, there is a huge volunteer effort all over the city. Wish I could volunteer on the ship! DH wants to be in NY to see Super Bowl (at home on TV with friends, not in NJ) and then we were going to book flight to FL to see relatives and possibly cruise on Epic. Now I see Getaway has a two dayer right after Super Bowl to Bahamas for $99...so tempting, but need to get to FL from Bahamas.....grrrr....

Does this mean you can bring Bud Light onboard and the revenue police will not confiscate it in the 'naughty room'? It would be sad if they did. No hotel I have ever been in takes my beer. Not happening....

Edited by coaster