On board ship account

bunkrest

Is it possible to credit my ships account with my own dollars?:rolleyes:

Yes, but don't overpay as excess on board credit isn't refundable. I would recommend that you register a credit card when boarding as it will make life simpler, then get an interim statement and pay a chunk off it every so often.

Is it possible to credit my ships account with my own dollars?:rolleyes:

I was forced to do that on the QE's Maiden Voyage because I did not tell my credit card company I was going out of the country and it was refused by the purser's office.

I did register my credit card at embarkation and received mail in my cabin 2 days later.

Fortunately I had brought along some cash.

Yes, but don't overpay as excess on board credit isn't refundable.

I think they might mean that they want to hand over some dollars when they board - but I might be wrong.

If that is the case, then yes, just pay your dollars into your account and I'd settle balance in the normal way (i.e. with your registered credit/debit card).

I think they might mean that they want to hand over some dollars when they board - but I might be wrong.

If that is the case, then yes, just pay your dollars into your account and I'd settle balance in the normal way (i.e. with your registered credit/debit card).

Yes you could be right, I only mentioned the OBC because if I hadn't someone else would have done so :)

Either way I think that the advice given buy all is sound.

Another good way is to phone Cunard and say you want to put money into your on board account using a credit card. The card will be charged in Stirling and your on board account will credited with dollars at a rate of $1.66 equals £1. That was the Cunard rate back in mid-August when the normal tourist rate was about $1.50 to £1. Therefore it is better not to use the dollar bills, which have been the subject of an exchange, in your hand at the Purser's Desk. To take advantage of the Cunard rate it must be done sometime, like a week or so, before you sail.

"How do I settle my on board account?

At the start of your voyage, you will be asked to register a credit card. The balance of your account at the end of your voyage will automatically be charged to this card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Visa/Mastercard Debit, American Express, and Diners Card. If you prefer to pay with cash, please speak to the purser after embarkation.

We cannot accept cheques, travellers cheques, Switch / Maestro cards, Corporate cards, Solo, Visa Electron or prepaid credit cards."

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/pay_onboard

"How do I settle my on board account?

At the start of your voyage, you will be asked to register a credit card. The balance of your account at the end of your voyage will automatically be charged to this card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Visa/Mastercard Debit, American Express, and Diners Card. If you prefer to pay with cash, please speak to the purser after embarkation.

We cannot accept cheques, travellers cheques, Switch / Maestro cards, Corporate cards, Solo, Visa Electron or prepaid credit cards."

copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/pay_onboard

Although the FAQs do not specifically state it, they do accept Discover credit cards as that is my card of choice and what I have used every time on Cunard ships.

Also as mentioned, if you are using a credit card or debit bank card then you should call and inform them that you are going on the trip and that you are leaving the country so they do not stop the payment to Cunard as a security measure.

I have had that happen when I forgot to inform my credit card I was going on a trip on Cunard and had to take the walk of shame to the pursers desk and use their phone to get the credit card security department to let me make the charges.

Of course it also happened when I pre informed my credit card company that I was going on Cunard for a trip to Hawaii and they stopped the charges because they were not made out of Hawaii.

I no longer bother informing my bank that I will be absent. I tried it once and I got the impression from them that it made no difference. They simply said that if I had any problems I should phone them from the country I was in, and authorise things then. In other words, they were not taking a record of my absence.