Flash Mob On board?

bala1130

In one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, everyone on board gets on one side of the ship and runs back and forth until the ship flips upside-down. Do you think RCCL has done any computer simulations during the design of the ships? What would happen if all 8,680 people on board the Allure/Oasis all went to the port side of the ship?

They have things called “Flash Mobs” these days. It could happen!!

Engineers - Time to speak up.

Lets be coservative.

10,000 people, average of 300lb.

That 3,000,000lb, or 1500 tons.

On a ship that is +200,000 tons.

So even if you can move all that mass to a single point (which is impossible), the weight of the engines by themselves will counter that.

More realistic is 9000 people, 220lb average (staff, kids, bring down the gross average), 1.8Mlb, or 900 tons. Not much relative to the ship.

Lets be coservative.

So even if you can move all that mass to a single point (which is impossible), the weight of the engines by themselves will counter that.

More realistic is 9000 people, 220lb average (staff, kids, bring down the gross average), 1.8Mlb, or 900 tons. Not much relative to the ship.

What if those 9000 people are on line at the Windjammer getting ready to strap on the feedbag and they refuse to move to one side of the ship?

Lets be coservative.

200,000 tons is not the actual weight of the ship, it is a term used for displacement. 100 cubic feet of interior space equals 1 GRT

200,000 tons is not the actual weight of the ship, it is a term used for displacement. 100 cubic feet of interior space equals 1 GRT

Well, I was just estimating off the top of my head.

So instead of telling me I'm wrong, looking an estimate up, the ship is 100,000 metric tons, which is about 110,000 tons.

Something that wide, may list a little when you move 1,500 tons, but that's 1.5%, and that's a very high estimate of people's weight.

One more thing to add, according to Wartsila, the 16 cyl engines weigh 220 mtonnes, and the 12's are 176 mtonnes, with 3 of each, that's just under 1200metric tonnes, or over 1200 real tons. So the sum of the 6 engines is greater than the sum of all of the people on board using a more realistic estimate.

In other words, a flash mob isn't going to do much. Even with every soul on board.

Well, I was just estimating off the top of my head.

So instead of telling me I'm wrong, looking an estimate up, the ship is 100,000 metric tons, which is about 110,000 tons.

Something that wide, may list a little when you move 1,500 tons, but that's 1.5%, and that's a very high estimate of people's weight.

One more thing to add, according to Wartsila, the 16 cyl engines weigh 220 mtonnes, and the 12's are 176 mtonnes, with 3 of each, that's just under 1200metric tonnes, or over 1200 real tons. So the sum of the 6 engines is greater than the sum of all of the people on board using a more realistic estimate.

In other words, a flash mob isn't going to do much. Even with every soul on board.

Touche'

Lets be coservative.

Good grief, not all of us are 300lbs. That means that for every 150lb person is another who can barely squeeze through a door. ;)

Good grief, not all of us are 300lbs. That means that for every 150lb person is another who can barely squeeze through a door. ;)

There are also not 10,000 people on the allure. Mostly.

300lb was used for simple math to illustrate that even with a very conservative estimate for the weight of people on board that they are still an insignificant amount of weight on the ship.

I wanted to be able to do the math in my head and not a calculator. So it's easier to use 300lb/10,000 people than 215.5lb and 9354 people.

The Allure according to a website says 225.282 gross tonnage

another website says that the oasis and allure WEIGH 100,000 tons. Which is different than gross tons.

Wiki says:

The gross tonnage of Oasis of the Seas is 225,282.[1][25] Her displacement—the actual mass of the vessel—is estimated at approximately 100,000 metric tons (110,000 short tons), slightly less than that of an American Nimitz-class aircraft carrier.[26]

We are using the same source. My quote came from this wiki page- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Oasis_of_the_Seas

which is also referenced here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Allure_of_the_Seas

As was pointed out to me before, gross tons is not the weight. Both pages list an estimated actual weight of 100,000 metric tons.

Searching for the actual weight of the Oasis via google, this nice explanation of the various weights are explained by RCI's CEO, Richard Fain- http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/chairmans-blog/?p=321

On that page, he lists the "Lightweight ton" of the Oasis of about 88,600 tons, which, as he explains, is basically the weight of steel of the ship.

He also notes that the ship is deadweight rated at 17,100 tons, and that is the weight of the cargo that it will carry. Most of that is water and fuel. Notably there's this quote

Passengers and crew as well as luggage and musical instruments are trivial

Which is a different way to sat that a moving flash mob of the entire population would not do anything.