Auto Progreso Dzibilchaltum tour

kymmyk13

We will be sailing on the Triumph in December and the day we are in Progreso we want to take this tour. We arrive at 9 and depart at 6.

About how long does it take to get off the boat and catch the bus and get to the end of the pier?

Will we be able to do some shopping before or after the tour?(tour is 4 hours)

Does anyone know what time the tour leaves?(I emailed Auto Progreso but have not received a response)

I love to plan and be organized, and this port is driving me a little crazy. Sorry so many questions, only our 2nd cruise and the last once was 6 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned yesterday & did this tour. It was nice. Wasn't too long of a drive which was a plus since we had our children with us & the cenote was amazing to swim in. The tour left at 10:45. We had plenty of time to walk around Progreso, even stopped & ate & did a bit of shopping before we left. We got back around 2:15, I think, and there was time to do a little more shopping before heading back to the ship.

• 2 months later...

We did this excursion a few weeks ago and loved it! Swimming in the cenote was the highlight of the trip for our family. Even in January the water was plenty warm enough to swim in.

We did not book the tour ahead of time, but knew that is what we wanted to do in Progreso, weather was a little iffy, so we decided to wait and make the call on the day of once we were in port. We got off the ship and took the short walk down the pier and into the port shopping area. We talked with an Auto Progreso agent at a shot and purchased the tour. We paid him right there and were given orange wristbands. We were told to take the shuttle into town and then to be back at the bus station at 10:45 for the tour.

We had plenty of time to take the shuttle into town (10 minute ride) and then shop, walk to the beach, and enjoy some cheap beers ($1 each with a free shot of tequila). Around 10:30 we walked back to the bus station and they had us line up and board the bus.

Diego was our tour guide and he was great. On the ride there he gave us lots of background info on the Mayans, their culture, and the ruins. Once you arrive at the site he advised any of us that would be swimming to bring our suits and towels with us then because we would need to change before at the facilities at the front of the park. You are not allowed to carry backpacks or large bags into the park.

After everyone changed that needed to, we proceeded into the park and he guided us through the ruins and eventually to the cenote. The ruins were interesting, but if I went again I would head straight to the cenote!

At the cenote he informed everyone what time to be back on the bus and we were free to swim or explore the ruins more on your own. Once back on the bus they took us directly back to the port, unless you wanted to be dropped back in Progreso for shopping.

It was a great day! We were doing a B2B cruise and on our second stop through Progreso we enjoyed the city and did a beach day. Very relaxing and cheap.