Grand Lucayan - How Far from Port?

nettenico

We are considering a day-pass to the Grand Lucayan while in Freeport. Is it easy to get a taxi back to the cruise port from the hotel? If so, how long is the ride (I want to make sure I plan enough time to return).

Also, if you have visited this hotel before, please feel free to offer your comments. I'm especially interested in the infinity pool and beach area.

Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
We are considering a day-pass to the Grand Lucayan while in Freeport. Is it easy to get a taxi back to the cruise port from the hotel? If so, how long is the ride (I want to make sure I plan enough time to return).

Also, if you have visited this hotel before, please feel free to offer your comments. I'm especially interested in the infinity pool and beach area.

Thanks for your help.

Getting a taxi for wasn't so bad, just exit the ship and follow everyone to where there are taxis and vans lined up. They will ask you how many are in your party and then where are you going. We had to wait a bit because they were having larger parties that they were trying to fill up first before the smaller groups of people. It took maybe 5 mins or so to get a taxi/van. Expect to be kind of jammed in with everyone not that comfortable of a ride but it was fun. The cost was 10 p.p and about 20-25 mins just depending on the speed of the driver. When you got to the destination was when you would pay. They would ask you if it was one way or round trip then charge you accordingly. If you decided on round trip you would pay your 10 up front and they would give you a slip of paper for your return trip back. Make sure you keep a hold of this as it's the only proof you paid for the return trip.

The hotel is really nice, I was actually surprised for how much their passes are and how lovely the property is, it was defiantly worth it to us to pay for the passes. There are many pools and lounge chairs available to choose from. We only walked near the infinity pool and it looked pretty neat. The beach was very well cared for and not that busy at the time we went. There wasn't much as in people trying to sell things. We had maybe two guys that approached offering t-shirts and another parasail trip but we just politely declined and they walked off. Out of the two ports I loved freeport the most. The sand at the hotel was super soft and without any rocks from what I could tell, the water was a bit clearer then at Nassau. There are changing rooms and bathrooms that is available to those who purchase day passes. they were clean and stocked with soap, toilet paper and paper towels. Some things to mention was (at least during our time there) the pools were very cold but once we got in them for a bit it wasn't as chilly, the restaurants on property do not accept cash unless you are staying at the hotel, so bring a debit card or credit card with you if you think you might get hungry but want to stay on grounds, as expected the items are a bit pricey just sharing a hamburger and a small bag of chips without a drink came to around 13-15 dollars before tip, also keep your wristband on you or at least with you if it happens to fall off because after a couple of people just wandering on the beach they started to look at the wristbands.

Hope this helps any and enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for your help.

We were just there on Friday and for $15 pp, the passes were definitely worth it. Just an FYI- you must pay cash for the pass, no cards, so make sure you have extra on hand. We took the taxi vans from the port for $10 pp round trip and it was 1/2 a block from where the taxi stopped to the resort. The beach was beautiful, very clean and not at all crowded. Chairs were plentiful and the only vendors we encountered were a few women selling jewelry but they left us alone if we said no thanks. The pools were nice but cold (November) and the bathroom/changing rooms were well stocked and clean.

It took about 20 minutes to drive from the port to the resort but the vans only leave once every half hour, so you have to plan to be back there a little early in case the van fills up. We got to the resort about 9am and left at 12.

• The property is really beautiful. They have a few hammocks and a hot tub as well. The pools were cold when I was there as well last December. In the afternoon a band started playing but we needed to leave soon after that. There is also a swim up bar.101_1432.jpg.c071d010a13210a7f973614d0a1a4471.jpg

101_1431.jpg.c011c33c187504461dbcbfe72e520347.jpg This is my first attempt at attaching pictures:D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

the restaurants on property do not accept cash unless you are staying at the hotel, so bring a debit card or credit card with you if you think you might get hungry but want to stay on grounds,

I know this was posted last year, but wondering if this is still the case? I NEVER bring my cc on to any port in fear of being robbed or lost. I only carry cash and only the correct amount that I would need for anything. If they only accept cards, it definitely puts this place off my "list". :cool: