Dogs on Ships

e2011

We've worked with seeing eye dogs at a national convention for the blind. Some dogs will go on any surface' date=' some like a dirt or kitty litter type place, while others want grass. We had both set ups-- a large "sandbox" area and an area with sod so the owners could use whatever made their dog most comfortable. However, even if the preferred surface is not available, most will go when given their command.

If a guest with a service dog chooses a cabin without a balcony, DCL places a "sandbox" (like a toddler wading pool) in a public area. In our experience, this has been the "not so secret" deck 7. They will supply kitty litter or sod as directed by the owner, and the area is kept VERY clean (CMs tend it several times each day).[/quote']

Princess usually places the box on Deck 7 forward [along side the Princess Theatre.] They ask that no matter where the guests cabin is that they make the journey to the box. I insisted, on our last cruise, that the box be taken to the deck I was on and be placed in the stairwell near my cabin, so that I had easy access to it. It also keeps it away from the elements and the public. It took a lot of persuasion on my part but they finally agreed to move it.

I'm really surprised that they place a dog tray near that vent. Since it's not an exhaust vent (the wind would make the balcony uninhabitable), it is an intake vent, so that would transmit the odor from the dog tray elsewhere around the ship.

My point exactly! It's truly not a vent for the doggy box at all. It's just a coincidence that the potty box was placed there.

The outside, ocean air is all that the box truly needs. The waste is picked-up immediately and the urine is soaked-up by the filler......there is no odor.

I always suggest to the cruise ships that they use cedar mulch, it's wonderful for keeping the odor away.

See large vent in corner. Now, granted, when the ships were built, that vent wasn't placed there for the purpose of having assistance dogs on the balcony.....but it definitely works well for that purpose, and I do know that they will place someone with a larger dog there, if the room(s) are available when that person books.

065_zps54c6f130.jpg

Oh Noes!

That appears to be an intake vent for some other part of the ship.

Some poor souls are below decks on A deck wondering why their cabins smell like dog poop several times per day.

It's funny that "the outside ocean air" will carry away the scent of urine and feces, but not cigarette smoke.

Which, by the way, could also have been getting sucked into that vent all these years, along with that nasty black ash that ends up all over the aft balconies.

And one last time.....I didn't say the vents were there just to take away the dog smell.

I only responded to the OP, who couldn't believe dogs were allowed, that there ARE two rooms that had vents....and that they put the dog pan out there.

It wasn't my idea or imagination, just a fact.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Oh Noes!

That appears to be an intake vent for some other part of the ship.

Some poor souls are below decks on A deck wondering why their cabins smell like dog poop several times per day.

Mick, I think you will find the vast majority of air intake for AC and engine cooling is via the 12 intakes on deck 10 so no poop smells for the crew or Guests!! And given there is no crew accom in the aft of the vessel (Deck A and B stop around Guest SR 2608/2108 on the equivalent deck below)

Intakes.png

The louvers do indicate an intake, but I wouldn't say 100% that is what it is given it is a Guest deck and there would be quite the noise of suction and things like loose clothing, magazines or such being sucked against it.

A massive air vent that size would be servicing a large area, and It IS possible that the vent posted is an extract however? Maybe from AP or PC?

AFAIK most galley venting is done via the aft vents as well. Along with the back up genset etc below.

extracts.jpg

Truck1 will know as he has the plans for the Magic on his computer.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

As a deaf person I'll be cruising with my hearing dog in December.

Service dogs undergo general as well as specific training. Most dogs "wash out" for various reasons - too timid, food aggression, unable to perform the tasks, etc. When you see a service dog, they have passed years of training and have met several standards.

Here's some information regarding some of the previous posts...

A service dog is not a therapy or emotional support dog. They are trained to perform tasks for a person with a disability.

A person/individual with a diability (IWD) do not like to be referred to as handicapped or hear people say a handicapped cabin. It's an accessible cabin.

There are few seeing eye dogs. The correct term is a guide dog. Only guide dogs that come from the Seeing Eye Inc in New Jersey are seeing eye dogs. All other dogs graduating from other organizations are guide dogs.

I don't think that smell from the box even becomes an issue. We bag up what we need to and leave the rest. The small trash can to hold deposits is cleaned up quickly. The box is refreshed every so often depending on the duration of the cruise.

Our pup is a SED from Morristown.

I don't think that smell from the box even becomes an issue. We bag up what we need to and leave the rest. The small trash can to hold deposits is cleaned up quickly. The box is refreshed every so often depending on the duration of the cruise.

Our pup is a SED from Morristown.

I agree with you. Service Dog handlers would NEVER leave waste to collect and cause odors in the potty box. We ALL use plastic bags which we tie into a knot and dispose into a trash receptacle which is emptied quickly by the crew. These bags work very well, when closed, to keep away any odor.

And, I really appreciate it when people ask me before they pat my dog. I always allow for patting time when he's not working.

Mick, I think you will find the vast majority of air intake for AC and engine cooling is via the 12 intakes on deck 10 so no poop smells for the crew or Guests!! And given there is no crew accom in the aft of the vessel (Deck A and B stop around Guest SR 2608/2108 on the equivalent deck below)

Intakes.png

The louvers do indicate an intake, but I wouldn't say 100% that is what it is given it is a Guest deck and there would be quite the noise of suction and things like loose clothing, magazines or such being sucked against it.

A massive air vent that size would be servicing a large area, and It IS possible that the vent posted is an extract however? Maybe from AP or PC?

AFAIK most galley venting is done via the aft vents as well. Along with the back up genset etc below.

extracts.jpg

Truck1 will know as he has the plans for the Magic on his computer.

ex techie

Could be. I'm not at all familiar with the decks below 1.

It it were up to me though, I'd definitely NOT put an exhaust ventilator discharge on a passenger verandah unless it was a space that generated no odors. I'd use those spaces for intake and use the scoops up top for exhaust. (scoops are pretty much just tradition at this point. We have mechanical fans now.)

Half will be for exhaust. When you put air into a space, you have to take roughly the same amount out.

The ADA was amended within the past few years so that now only dogs and miniature horses are considered "service animals" under the ADA. Monkeys, parakeets, cats, etc. are no longer covered.

As others have mentioned there is a difference between "service animals", "emotional support animals", and "therapy animals". I have two certified therapy dogs who visit hospices, nursing homes, etc. They are NOT service dogs and the rules of "our" organization specifically prohibit us handlers/owners from claiming they are service animals.

As a deaf person I'll be cruising with my hearing dog in December.

Service dogs undergo general as well as specific training. Most dogs "wash out" for various reasons - too timid, food aggression, unable to perform the tasks, etc. When you see a service dog, they have passed years of training and have met several standards.

Here's some information regarding some of the previous posts...

A service dog is not a therapy or emotional support dog. They are trained to perform tasks for a person with a disability.

A person/individual with a diability (IWD) do not like to be referred to as handicapped or hear people say a handicapped cabin. It's an accessible cabin.

There are few seeing eye dogs. The correct term is a guide dog. Only guide dogs that come from the Seeing Eye Inc in New Jersey are seeing eye dogs. All other dogs graduating from other organizations are guide dogs.

Years ago I had a co-worker who was a leader of a 4-H group who were "puppy raisers" for the leader dog school in Michigan (can't remember exactly where it was). She said that the day they would take the puppies back to the school was always a hard one. But at that time once the dogs went thru advanced training and then were matched to their new owner the school would have a "graduation" ceremony and the girls would be invited so they could meet the person who got their puppy - made it much easier. And most of the girls raised more than one dog.

The ADA was amended within the past few years so that now only dogs and miniature horses are considered "service animals" under the ADA. Monkeys, parakeets, cats, etc. are no longer covered.

As others have mentioned there is a difference between "service animals", "emotional support animals", and "therapy animals". I have two certified therapy dogs who visit hospices, nursing homes, etc. They are NOT service dogs and the rules of "our" organization specifically prohibit us handlers/owners from claiming they are service animals.

So they must allow miniature horses on a ship? This is an example of a law with good intentions going terribly wrong...

Edited by e2011

My Service Dog Horton weighs in at 90lbs and is the same height or taller than a Minature Horse might be. He resembles a Great Dane in appearance but is a Lab/Golden Retriever cross.

Minature Horses are sweet, docile, smart and more than capable of doing the same tasks and alerts that a dog can do.

They can be trained to go potty on command and in the very same places a dog goes. Most dogs have to sniff and circle the area in which they're asked to go potty, Minature Horses do not.

Minature horses can pull a wheelchair with ease and assist their handler in getting up from a chair more easily than a dog.

These amazing animals have been used in the coal mines for years to pull the carts out of the mines. They're very strong and agile.

The Minature Horse is groomed just like the dog and although it may have the shedding problem that most Labs have, it doesn't require to lay down to sleep. They actually can sleep while standing up.

I always have a problem of where my dog is going to lay down when we go the theatre or while in the dining room onboard cruises. The horse can stand right next to your seat, and with a command rest [while standing] and be very quiet. And, just like our dogs are trained to not lick, scratch, or shake in public.

And the very best part of working with a Minature Horse is that they live and work in excess of 20 years. Unless you've had to put to rest a beloved dog who only lives 10-15 years, you'll never understand this.

I know how silly it may sound to have a Minature Horse as a Service Animal but until you've walked or wheeled through my life, please don't judge.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I didn't see anyone judging anything here. However if the ADA has arbitraily picked dogs and miniature horses as service animals they are clearly discriminating against those who may want or need some other animal. Who is their voice?

Edited by e2011

I didn't see anyone judging anything here. However if the ADA has arbitraily picked dogs and miniature horses as service animals they are clearly discriminating against those who may want or need some other animal. Who is their voice?

Although I understand your point, the monkey, bird, and other animals that are known to assist people still have not quite worked out their bathroom habits well enough to be trusted in a public situation. The monkey has to wear a diaper or he may have an accident in a dining room. That would be very unpleasant for everyone else in the room.

Thanks for your interest!

My Service Dog Horton weighs in at 90lbs and is the same height or taller than a Minature Horse might be. He resembles a Great Dane in appearance but is a Lab/Golden Retriever cross.

Minature Horses are sweet, docile, smart and more than capable of doing the same tasks and alerts that a dog can do.

They can be trained to go potty on command and in the very same places a dog goes. Most dogs have to sniff and circle the area in which they're asked to go potty, Minature Horses do not.

Minature horses can pull a wheelchair with ease and assist their handler in getting up from a chair more easily than a dog.

These amazing animals have been used in the coal mines for years to pull the carts out of the mines. They're very strong and agile.

The Minature Horse is groomed just like the dog and although it may have the shedding problem that most Labs have, it doesn't require to lay down to sleep. They actually can sleep while standing up.

I always have a problem of where my dog is going to lay down when we go the theatre or while in the dining room onboard cruises. The horse can stand right next to your seat, and with a command rest [while standing] and be very quiet. And, just like our dogs are trained to not lick, scratch, or shake in public.

And the very best part of working with a Minature Horse is that they live and work in excess of 20 years. Unless you've had to put to rest a beloved dog who only lives 10-15 years, you'll never understand this.

I know how silly it may sound to have a Minature Horse as a Service Animal but until you've walked or wheeled through my life, please don't judge.

With respect, you must appreciate that a miniature horse will attract a lot more attention from children than a guide dog will. It will be a massive distraction to everyone there.

And with that in mind, when a family are going to watch a production, the best place for those animals is to be taken out of the auditorium for the duration of the performance, and brought back to you after the performance has ended to exit.

It would be great if DCL provided a break room for guide dogs and miniature horses (if needed)!

I'm thankful I do not have to walk or wheel through your life, however I think the theatre or dining table are no place to have a horse, however how small, present.

ex techie

With respect, you must appreciate that a miniature horse will attract a lot more attention from children than a guide dog will. It will be a massive distraction to everyone there.

And with that in mind, when a family are going to watch a production, the best place for those animals is to be taken out of the auditorium for the duration of the performance, and brought back to you after the performance has ended to exit.

It would be great if DCL provided a break room for guide dogs and miniature horses (if needed)!

I'm thankful I do not have to walk or wheel through your life, however I think the theatre or dining table are no place to have a horse, however how small, present.

ex techie

I have to tell you that the attention that is given to bringing a dog everywhere I go is sometimes too much, for either one of us. The questions that are thrown at me means I must give myself more time to get from point A to Point B. And, the people who want to touch or interact with my dog are more numerous than I can count.

Our society is still not desensitized to these amazing beings being in the public and when the public sees how they behave and the tasks that they do to make the lives of people like me so much better, they are truly amazed.

The dog/horse should NEVER be separated from their handler, ever!!!! If the situation is not safe for the dog, it's not safe for the handler. The law is very clear on this. Which is why there is no quarantine for a Service/Working Dog.

I have to tell you that the attention that is given to bringing a dog everywhere I go is sometimes too much, for either one of us. The questions that are thrown at me means I must give myself more time to get from point A to Point B. And, the people who want to touch or interact with my dog are more numerous than I can count.

Our society is still not desensitized to these amazing beings being in the public and when the public sees how they behave and the tasks that they do to make the lives of people like me so much better, they are truly amazed.

The dog/horse should NEVER be separated from their handler, ever!!!! If the situation is not safe for the dog, it's not safe for the handler. The law is very clear on this. Which is why there is no quarantine for a Service/Working Dog.

Ok you have stated a couple of very different reasons there.

Firstly Adults should know better than to try to approach, pet or interact with a service animal.

Secondly, they should control the behaviour of their children to not try to approach or pet or interact with a service animal.

But as towards separating an animal from their handler, could you explain why to someone not aware as to why?

ex techie

Ok you have stated a couple of very different reasons there.

Firstly Adults should know better than to try to approach, pet or interact with a service animal.

Secondly, they should control the behaviour of their children to not try to approach or pet or interact with a service animal.

But as towards separating an animal from their handler, could you explain why to someone not aware as to why?

ex techie

My dog and I are a TEAM. We work together, everywhere. He assists me in every aspect of my life. At home, at the theatre, in the market and at work, anywhere I go, he goes.

I have learned in the 11 years that I have worked with a Service Dog, that there are all types of people that he and I will encounter. There are people who are very polite and ask if they can touch my dog. There are the people who want to know everything about my dog "only". And, the folks who want to know everything about me "only". There are people who will try and steal a pat when I'm not looking and those who will make weird noises at him just to see what he will do. There are children who will politely ask if they can touch him and those that will run right into his face and "bear-hug" him. Then there's the humans; adult and children alike who are so terrified of dogs that they will scream at the sight of me walking towards them, with him tightly on a leash. While on a cruise, there have been folks who literally lay down on the floor, next to him.

When you separate him from me you are sending him a message that he's not needed by me. Like; when he goes to the groomer, when he's at the vet, when I go off to the ladies room and leave him to sleep in his crate. He's watching every movement and every minute. We're partners, I need him; he knows it. He gets rewarded for doing his job and my reward is a better life and his company.

We play together, we walk, we lay down together and we talk. Again, we're a TEAM. To watch a Service Dog and his Handler is an amazing, brilliant dance!