Beware of those selling drugs in port

itsme_jj

Just a little warning that the shop keepers in the commercial port do try to sell you and your family drugs.

One man I found out later was harrassing my son and trying to tempt him.

I personally was offered marajanua a couple of time, when I inquired about the carved stone pipes and what was the history behind these. Keep on eye on your teens! This may be too tempting for some, mine wasn't interested and found it really creepy.

FYI...

I hit send too soon. Sorry

I wanted to say overall I felt safe while in port and on my tours. But the way these guys sell the trinkets, they also will hard sell your teens dope, so I'd just keep them with you when going into these little shops so they won't be let astray.

After I told the one man to stop pestering me or I'd have to call the authorities he immediately disappeared!

I'd didn't make a scene about it, because this happens in alot of port where the population is poor. I just was direct with him, after he asked me three times while I was trying to shop.

I just would give this tip, in case you let your kids roam on their own there.

My son and his friends really enjoyed hanging out at the 3 pools and eating in the commercial port and they were very safe. I would just hate to see what would happen if one of them said yes to these vendors ...!!!

Like all things, just be prepared.

From my experiences of traveling all through MX and Belize, if I or any of my friends looked at or picked up any pipes (out of curiosity, some are quite interesting pieces of artwork) we've been asked if we need "something to put in it" or they know "where we can get something to put in it". I equate this with slight stupidity on our parts for not immedicately realizing what they were, but just like in the US, its legal to have pipes and bongs, but you aren't supposed to have "stuff" in them. It would be the same thing as going into one of those "head shops" that sells paraphernalia. I'm sure you could easily inquire about stuff to put in those too, its just that most of us are used to them being in those types of shops and not out in the open marketplace.

I've been all over that part of the coast the past few years, in very remote areas looking at property and I've never run across anything funny growing, nor have I seen or smelled of anyone smoking dope with the exception of Tulum. I was shocked at how many Americans were staying there and smoking it out in the open. I was offered it by a local there, but they didn't pester me.

In addition, the building on the right side of the road as you turn towards the right to go to the fishing village of Majahual is a naval station; their job is to catch drug traffic. There's also a military check point with drug sniffing dogs on the Hwy a couple miles prior to arriving at the cruise or Mahajual

turn-offs.

I truly don't think there's a drug problem there; you may have just run into a pushy seller that day. (Most of the port merchandisers are not locals; they're commuting from Cancun or Playa del Carmen). They can be reported to the Police (who are locals and don't want drugs there either), or the Navy guys.

I don't think it was just a random case that JJ experienced....on our recent trip to Costa Maya, in June, my son & nephew (17 & 20 yrs old) were both offered drugs while walking thru a shop. My husband & I also were offered at another shop, and we didn't touch or look at a thing, we were just walking thru. We all said no, and just continued on our way. I do have to say though, most of the vendors were more intent on selling us hammocks than anything else, and yes, I caved in to the temptation and brought one home : )

Terry...dreaming of the next cruise

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away from CM for a few months but made it back. Life in the city is not as pleasant as it could be in Mahahual.

I'm concerned about the comments I see here. Drugs are definitely something locals don't want in CM, specially when things are just beginning and most people are trying to attract tourism. This is something that MUST be reported to the port authorities. I want to think the owner of the terminal isn't aware of this and I don't think he wants his terminal becoming famous for offering drugs in the premises.

The ones who really care what happens in CM, would ask anyone to report this incidents so they don't repeat.

Archived