Real turkey dinner on Thanksgiving

thephillykid

We will be on board for both thanksgiving and Hanukkah.

Any chance that they will have real turkey for dinner, not the processed stuff they serve on the buffet.

How about the chances of them serving potato latkes for Hanukkah?

We might be stuck eating lobster or fillet instead. As Thanksgiving falls on the second formal night on board.

I guess we will have to suffer............lol;).

Howard

Any chance that they will have real turkey for dinner, not the processed stuff they serve on the buffet.

We might be stuck eating lobster or fillet instead. As Thanksgiving falls on the second formal night on board.

Howard

Depends on the EX Chef. They do make the whole bird on the Buffet at times. Our Thanksgivings on board have been processed turkey. You can special order latkes a couple of days before hand. We normally order Challah bread for Friday nights. They do very good with special orders. ~ Rick

We were on Solstice in the mediterranean over Thanksgiving and ate in BLU. They had a very traditional offering the American's on board and it was not processed turkey. It was carved (I had white and my DH had dark meat). I, of course, took that offering as well as whatever else was on the menu that night. I was greatly appreciative of X for remembering my American holiday. And the stuffing, as a I recall, was awesome.

Here's hoping you get the same treatment! Safe travels.

Howard

Its been a couple of years, but Celebrity always had a special Thanksgiving menu, with real sliced turkey as an option. It was great. The pumpkin pie, however, was not.

Didn't know about the latkes. I'll have to keep that in mind.

We were on the Summit for Chanukah one year. There was a menorah lighting every night. Latkes and Soufganiyot (jelly donuts) were available at the menorah lighting. This lighting was separate from giant Menorah in the atrium. We were in one of the conference rooms. There were several menorahs and whoever wanted to light one had the opportunity. If I recall properly, the menorah lighting was before early dinner (around 530/600 ish).

We have traditionally cruised over American TGiving - X(2), RCCI(3), NCL(1).

RCCI and X both had moved formal night to Thursday, and had special menus. The turkey was mentioned on menu as "carved". It was not processed. Some of the side dishes were not like mom used to make (but since my mom was a terrible cook, in my case that was a good thing! :)) but was overall a good representation of a traditional meal. On X there was not pumpkin pie (some pumpkin mouse thing at least once).

In all of our RCCI and X cruises we were cruising European itineraries - and even though American TGiving is not a holiday there, the line did right by the holiday.

We've been on cruise ships twice on Thanksgiving -- on the long departed Mercury in 2008 and on the Century in 2011.

On the Mercury I remember great carved turkey in the buffet during lunch. So I ordered the dinner entree featuring turkey, and it was a turkey roll type of thing. Given what I saw at lunch it was quite the surprise!

The Century the cruise was from Honolulu to Sydney. Half of the passengers were Australian, and the head chef was also Australian. During an elite galley tour he indicated that while they were not going to attempt a "traditional" American Thanksgiving meal there would be "elements" (his word) of an American Thanksgiving feast on the menu. For example, there was a spinach salad with dried cranberries. In any event, I spoke with one Aussie woman who was very disappointed because she wanted to at least see, if not consume, a traditional holiday meal from a different country. This particular woman also was very critical of the Aussie meat pies on that cruise but we spent a week in Australia following the cruise and thought that the meat pies on the Century were essentially the same as we found in the country.

We've been on cruise ships twice on Thanksgiving -- on the long departed Mercury in 2008 and on the Century in 2011.

On the Mercury I remember great carved turkey in the buffet during lunch. So I ordered the dinner entree featuring turkey, and it was a turkey roll type of thing. Given what I saw at lunch it was quite the surprise!

The Century the cruise was from Honolulu to Sydney. Half of the passengers were Australian, and the head chef was also Australian. During an elite galley tour he indicated that while they were not going to attempt a "traditional" American Thanksgiving meal there would be "elements" (his word) of an American Thanksgiving feast on the menu. For example, there was a spinach salad with dried cranberries. In any event, I spoke with one Aussie woman who was very disappointed because she wanted to at least see, if not consume, a traditional holiday meal from a different country. This particular woman also was very critical of the Aussie meat pies on that cruise but we spent a week in Australia following the cruise and thought that the meat pies on the Century were essentially the same as we found in the country.

That's what I've been told that they have the processed turkey roll in the mdr. We all need to remember that the kitchen staff on these ships are mostly from countries other than the US and may not necessarily know exactly what to serve at an american thanksgiving dinner.

I think it would be great if you (as an American) were able to have a traditional turkey dinner.

At the same time, I would not expect it. You do not say in your OP which ship or itinerary you are sailing. If you are on one of the Australian, European, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruise I would think it would be more difficult.

Good Luck

. . .The Century the cruise was from Honolulu to Sydney. Half of the passengers were Australian, and the head chef was also Australian. During an elite galley tour he indicated that while they were not going to attempt a "traditional" American Thanksgiving meal . . . I spoke with one Aussie woman who was very disappointed because she wanted to at least see, if not consume, a traditional holiday meal from a different country. . . .
We have had a special pretty "traditional" American TGiving meal on all of our X and RCCI TGiving cruises. Carved turkey, some sort of crandberry, mashed potatoes, and something with sweet potatoes generally (sometimes part of the soup or incorporated in an appetizer). Appetizers have been a bit of a reach sometimes as have some of the dessert coures.

We have shared our Tgiving table with mainly non-US folks (Brits, S.Africans, Phillipenos (sp?), and even a couple from Central America). It makes for an interesting conversation as my DD, DH and I explain the US traditions (it doesn't hurt that we are from an NFL city as well) and if some of the folks haven't been "brave" enough to order the special Tgiving meal, we've had the waiter bring an extra plate of the entree for them to sample certain things.

Not a huge turkey fan myself, but I've never been disappointed by the quality of the meal I have received.

That's what I've been told that they have the processed turkey roll in the mdr. We all need to remember that the kitchen staff on these ships are mostly from countries other than the US and may not necessarily know exactly what to serve at an american thanksgiving dinner.
The menus are mostly planned at corporate and may be "tweeked" to accomodate availability of some ingredients. Some menus are also tweeked based upon itinerary.

We've had specially printed formal paper menus for the meal those evenings.

Edited by Onessa

We'll be on the Eclipse for a Caribbean cruise at Thanksgiving, which likely will be the last formal night (2nd last night & a sea day). That means our choice will be 1) Likely Beef Wellington, 2) Lobster, 3) Turkey/Thanksgiving dinner.

Any chance they might serve a Thanksgiving dinner at lunch time in the MDR? Or maybe a cold Thanksgiving dinner with sliced turkey and cranberry sauce in the Aqua Spa Cafe? Or a special poolside lunch with Thanksgiving food? We have cruised at least 4 times during Thanksgiving on X and have never seen that, but we have never cruised on Thanksgiving where it was the last formal night. We like to avoid the buffet on sea days, which Thanksgiving will be. We would like to have our "traditional" Thanksgiving meal, albeit Celebrity's version, but we also will want lobster (unless chateau briand or petite filet mignon is being served), so I guess we might have to order Thanksgiving dinner with lobster on the side.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise
Caribbean cruise

We'll be on the Eclipse for a Caribbean cruise at Thanksgiving, which likely will be the last formal night (2nd last night & a sea day). That means our choice will be 1) Likely Beef Wellington, 2) Lobster, 3) Turkey/Thanksgiving dinner.

Any chance they might serve a Thanksgiving dinner at lunch time in the MDR? Or maybe a cold Thanksgiving dinner with sliced turkey and cranberry sauce in the Aqua Spa Cafe? Or a special poolside lunch with Thanksgiving food? We have cruised at least 4 times during Thanksgiving on X and have never seen that, but we have never cruised on Thanksgiving where it was the last formal night. We like to avoid the buffet on sea days, which Thanksgiving will be. We would like to have our "traditional" Thanksgiving meal, albeit Celebrity's version, but we also will want lobster (unless chateau briand or petite filet mignon is being served), so I guess we might have to order Thanksgiving dinner with lobster on the side.

Kathy

By having lobster on Thanksgiving, you'll be eating more in line with what was actually served at the original Thanksgiving meal. They had all sorts of seafood including lobster and clams which were abundant in the area at the time. Enjoy!

By having lobster on Thanksgiving, you'll be eating more in line with what was actually served at the original Thanksgiving meal. They had all sorts of seafood including lobster and clams which were abundant in the area at the time. Enjoy!

Well, that's a great reason for us to have Thanksgiving meal AND lobster! I've usually heard of oysters with Thanksgiving, at least in the stuffing. My dh's ancestors missed the very first harvest Thanksgiving (1621) celebration by immigrating to Massachusetts Bay several years later, so there is another reason we need to have lobster on Thanksgiving along with turkey & cranberry sauce. Works for me. :D

Kathy