Which Cruise to Choose???

marciab

I have always wanted to travel to the South Pacific. I am hoping to convince my husband to make this trip next year for my 60th birthday. This year for his 60th he bought a new sports car AND a new motorcycle :o. so I don’t think I’m too far out of line here!

SO.. I have gone back and forth between land vs. cruise.. We both do love to cruise and I have decided that is probably the best option for us with a couple of extra days on land.. Most likely in Papeete, possibly Moorea. OF course we have to do a night or two in an over water bungalow.

We have never done a ‘luxury’ cruise.. Which is mostly all that is available in the South Pacific. I am a having sticker shock looking at the prices compared to what we pay for Caribbean cruises! But I’ll get over it.

I would like to go next fall or winter. Say October 2014- Jan 2015. I know November starts rainy season..

We have to have a balcony, we don’t need a suite. Would prefer November/early December. Hopefully not too rainy then?

The cruises I’m looking at are:

Paul Gauguin either 11 night leaving Nov 22 2014 or a possibly 7 night in Nov/Dec.

What I’m not crazy about that line is how small their basic Balcony Cabins are (202sf) The Veranda’s cabins are better at 305, but quite a bit more expensive.

Oceanea - 10 night Jan 2015 . They seem to have the best price for a higher end cruise, but am worrying in January it might be too rainy. Their lowest priced balcony is 282 sf which is a nice size.

Regent- 11 night Dec 7 they are the highest priced, but it appears as though you get more. It includes up to 9 shore excursions. Their basic balcony is 252 sf. At first glance I am leaning towards this cruise.

And finally Princess- We have never sailed on Princess, and I know their cruises out of Tahiti are on smaller boats. With Princess we’d probably get a suite. I am definitely leaning towards one of the more upscale lines for this trip.

Air.. We will probably use miles, and lots of them! We both hate the long distance flying and have to upgrade on those long flight.. I know most ‘include’ air from LA..

I am having a hard time choosing and would welcome pros/ cons , comments and suggestions on which cruise to choose!

Here is the question you need to ask yourself. If you want the ship to be the destinaion along with the big shows and typical big cruise ship stuff then take Oceanea.

If the islands are going to be the big draw/destination then chosse the Paul Gauguin. The PG is in the South Pacific full time (mostly in FP) and oozes Polynesia on board. The PG brings the heart of Polynesia on board better than anyone.

The 11 night would be my choice. I've done this run on both Princess and PG and we preferred the PG way better because of the felli of Polynesia on board, the intimacy of a smaller ship. We also found once to add all the extras you pay on Princess you pretty much are at a similar number as the PG.

Keep in mind the entertainment on board the PG isn't 'Broadway' type stuff but local troupes from the islands dancing, the Gaugines on board the ship which are the embassadors of Polynesai as all of them are Polynesians from FP, or the Polynesian 'Mamas' they bring on board to teach Polynesian crafts.

Just my 2 cents

First I have never cruised them. Secondly I am doing the area in Apr on Princess on a 28 day trip out of LA and back. We choose to cruise Princess exclusivly now and always in a suite because for us they are a good fit. All that being said my TA whom I trust explicitly tells me that nobody on the planet does Tahiti like Paul Gaugan. Never has she steered me wrong so I would have to go with her opinion. She specializes in cruises and has sailed with just about if not all of them.

I have always wanted to travel to the South Pacific. I am hoping to convince my husband to make this trip next year for my 60th birthday. This year for his 60th he bought a new sports car AND a new motorcycle :o. so I don’t think I’m too far out of line here!

SO.. I have gone back and forth between land vs. cruise.. We both do love to cruise and I have decided that is probably the best option for us with a couple of extra days on land.. Most likely in Papeete, possibly Moorea. OF course we have to do a night or two in an over water bungalow.

We have never done a ‘luxury’ cruise.. Which is mostly all that is available in the South Pacific. I am a having sticker shock looking at the prices compared to what we pay for Caribbean cruises! But I’ll get over it.

I would like to go next fall or winter. Say October 2014- Jan 2015. I know November starts rainy season..

We have to have a balcony, we don’t need a suite. Would prefer November/early December. Hopefully not too rainy then?

Paul Gauguin either 11 night leaving Nov 22 2014 or a possibly 7 night in Nov/Dec.

What I’m not crazy about that line is how small their basic Balcony Cabins are (202sf) The Veranda’s cabins are better at 305, but quite a bit more expensive.

Oceanea - 10 night Jan 2015 . They seem to have the best price for a higher end cruise, but am worrying in January it might be too rainy. Their lowest priced balcony is 282 sf which is a nice size.

Regent- 11 night Dec 7 they are the highest priced, but it appears as though you get more. It includes up to 9 shore excursions. Their basic balcony is 252 sf. At first glance I am leaning towards this cruise.

And finally Princess- We have never sailed on Princess, and I know their cruises out of Tahiti are on smaller boats. With Princess we’d probably get a suite. I am definitely leaning towards one of the more upscale lines for this trip.

Air.. We will probably use miles, and lots of them! We both hate the long distance flying and have to upgrade on those long flight.. I know most ‘include’ air from LA..

I am having a hard time choosing and would welcome pros/ cons , comments and suggestions on which cruise to choose!

I think part of it also depends on what you want to do while you are in Tahiti, and what Islands you want to go to. I would recommend that you check the ports that the ships go to, the excursions offered and what is availabe to you once you are there.

For us, we are going in April, on Princess, because I got a deal I coudln't refuse.. and since we are there to scuba dive, we liked the ports that Princess offers.

Now, if you have a bunch of extra miles please feel free to send some to me..:D

Edited by DrSch

1. From post "Gunner's" post - The TA stated it right when she said, "nobody on the planet does Tahiti like Paul Gauguin." She is right on target.

2. Some of the larger ships have had trouble getting into some islands because the draft was to low for the tide conditions. I won't name names but lets just say thisisn't a problem on a ship that carrys less than 400 passengers. ;)

The 11 night is a great itinerary as you get the Society Islands of FP and the Cook islands. Don't over think this .......... until another small ship cruise line has a full season under their belt in FP waters the best choice is Paul Gauguin Cruises.

My comments here may not be helpful but I just thought I would share some of the experiences we have had over the years. Around 10 or so years ago we got into cruising. This was of course before some of the new mega ships, but still the ships we were on were large for the times. Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess and our favorite Holland American. We started out with a basic outside cabin, then to a Verandah Cabin. After experiencing having a balcony we said "WE WOULD NEVER CRUISE WITHOUT A BALCONY". From there we graduated to Deluxe Verandah Suites on HAL 500-712 sq ft. Again we thought no way would we ever go back to a small cabin.

Then we tried something very daring, we booked a cruise aboard Seabourn Legend, no verandah for us because of cost, and only 208 passengers. We loved every minute of the cruise and booked another for the following year. This year we will be going to Tahiti and cruise aboard a Windstar Ship the Windspirit a 148 passenger sailing/motor yacht, NO VERANDAH'S. This will be our 3rd cruise on a Windstar ship and again the memories are the best ever.

Don't get me wrong we loved sitting out on our Verandah and enjoying a glass of wine while the ocean went by, great times. The small ship experience makes up many times for the lack of a balcony or suite. Just a thought. No matter which line you select I know you will have a wonderful adventure.

One last thing we are staying 3 nights prior to boarding in Moorea at the Hilton in an OWB I hear it a wonderful location and resort.

Have fun.

Shirley

Yuo choose well with the Moorea Hilton, our favorite on Moorea and we have stayed at all of the major beach fronr resorts on Moorea.

Did I give you the skinny on cheap eats close to the Hilton?

Yes and I have made copies to take with me. Your suggestions fill my Tahiti vacation folder, thank you so much for all your input.

Shirley

Yuo choose well with the Moorea Hilton, our favorite on Moorea and we have stayed at all of the major beach fronr resorts on Moorea.

Did I give you the skinny on cheap eats close to the Hilton?

I'd love to see that info., we are staying there in April

Thank you everyone for the help and guidance! With your suggestions and more research on my part I think we are going to wait until Sept 2015. Can't do next Sept, and I think we will have a better chance with the weather in Sept, rather than going Oct/Nov/Dec.

And we will go with Paul Gauguin, but probably only the 7 day, then do a week on land. I'm concerned about the 10/11 day cruises going out to the Cooks or Marquesas and having rough water in a small boat. We are both prone to sea-sickness. We are fine on the large boats, but this will be a new experience!