Corcovado by car or cog train?

catergirl

are the views way better by the gog train going up Corcovado? or is going by say car ok? any suggestions, thanks martha

Just different. The train is more fun IMO: a samba band gets on and plays. But the lines may be long, so the taxi/official van combo might be more convenient at certain times.

We've been up both ways. Pros & cons, but bear in mind the following:

Cog-train - it goes up the back of the hill, very limited views, mainly over favelas some distance away.

When you arrive at the station you line up at the ticket booth. Tickets are timed, so you will know how long you have to wait. Once you've got your tickets you don't have to wait in line, you can go off for a coffee or whatever & then return to join the short line for your timed train.

BUT

We arrived about 10am, there was about a 15 minute line for tickets. We asked people leaving the ticket booth what time their train was, IIRC it was about 10.30.

We joined the line, but by the time we got to the front the train time had gone out to about 1pm :eek:

Tour operators, including ships' tours, had block-booked mebbe two hours-worth of trains.

So aim to get there early, perhaps 9am. Or mid-afternoon, when skies are likely to be clearer.

No timing for trains back down, stay as long as you like. We had only a very short wait for a train back.

Train tickets include admission at the top, taxis don't. So check out the admission price in advance (big seasonal difference) & bear that in mind when negotiating with taxis.

Taxi - the drive up is quite scenic but lots of trees obscuring views.

You're driven to a parking lot, where there's an admission booth. The ticket that you buy there includes shuttle-vans which takes you a few hundred yards to the top.

There are no taxis available at that parking lot - your driver waits there for you.

We'd negotiated a price from port to Corcovado, 90 minute wait, then down behind Ipanema & dropped at Sugarloaf cablecar. Sorry, don't recall the cost but I noticed that the driver had left his meter running, and we had saved about $1.50 on the metered fare.

Taxi from ship to station, train up & back, taxi (metered taxi hailed in the street, not parked-up cos they're a fixed-price rip-off) to Copacabana.

Or taxi from ship to Corcovado, admission, same taxi to Sugarloaf.

Don't recall prices, but there was very little difference.

JB :)

John Bull

Approximately how long did it take you to visit both Corcovado and Sugar Loaf by taxi? Was it done in one morning or one afternon? I would like to visit them in one afternoon from the Sheraton Rio in Leblon. In another thread a poster believed the trip would be too hectic and rushed and another poster thought that even if it could be done, going to both sights in one afternoon would be "visual overload", too much of the same thing, but noted that that the view from Sugar Loaf is beautiful at sunset. Our plane is scheduled to arrive in Rio about 11:30 am so I am guessing we would leave the Sheraton about 1:30 to 2:00 pm.

What are your thoughts about visiting both sights in one afternoon? Would it be feasible ? Would it be worthwhile? Would taking the train up Corcovado be out of the question because of time constraints?

Thanks

Edited by gatorpower

John Bull

Approximately how long did it take you to visit both Corcovado and Sugar Loaf by taxi? Was it done in one morning or one afternon? I would like to visit them in one afternoon from the Sheraton Rio in Leblon. In another thread a poster believed the trip would be too hectic and rushed and another poster thought that even if it could be done, going to both sights in one afternoon would be "visual overload", too much of the same thing, but noted that that the view from Sugar Loaf is beautiful at sunset. Our plane is scheduled to arrive in Rio about 11:30 am so I am guessing we would leave the Sheraton about 1:30 to 2:00 pm.

What are your thoughts about visiting both sights in one afternoon? Would it be feasible ? Would it be worthwhile? Would taking the train up Corcovado be out of the question because of time constraints?

Thanks

We took most of the day. And it's hardly "visual overload" though it'd be better to split between two days & do something else in between.

But you can only work within your time constraints and if it has to be both on one day - even a short day, then so be it.

And although we had two full days in port, we chose to take advantage of the glorious weather (no mist or low cloud) & do both on Day One, rather than risk whatever the weather might be on Day Two.

Taxi is certainly a whole lot quicker, and I think in your circumstances it's really the only option.

Googlemaps reckons your hotel to the top of Corcovado at 30 minutes, & from there to Sugarloaf at 40 minutes.

We didn't fly in or out, & I've no idea if an 11.30 landing & a 1.30 -2pm departure from your hotel is realistic, but in theory if you left your hotel at 2pm & spent an hour (that's just about adequate) at Corcovado you'd be at the Sugarloaf cable-car about 4.15pm.

You'd need to check last Sugarloaf cable-car times, and hopefully get the opinions of others, but it appears to be workable.

BTW, the views are very very different.

Corcovado provides sweeping distant views, but from Sugarloaf you're looking down on the city from close-quarters, and almost 360deg views.

Corcovado has the reputation but IMHO Sugarloaf was much better.

And that will be especially so if the weather is against you. Even if cloud & mist means you can't see Corcovado from Rio, still visit for the experience if not the view. The views from Sugarloaf, being a whole lot closer, should be less-affected by the weather.

Train tickets include admission at the top, taxis don't. So check out the admission price in advance (big seasonal difference)

As you can see here on the official site for the train, the price is R$46 per adult, so I don’t understand what constitutes a “big seasonal difference”. The site seems to enable online purchase (but was reported to have had problems initially).

http://www.corcovado.com.br/ingles/index.html

Here is info on the vans, R$21.36

http://www.ingressorapido.com.br/Corcovado/#

Googlemaps reckons your hotel to the top of Corcovado at 30 minutes, & from there to Sugarloaf at 40 minutes.

They state that they are at the Sheraton Rio iirc. 30 minutes from the hotel to the top of Corcovado sounds very optimistic.

You'd need to check last Sugarloaf cable-car times

Here’s the Sugarloaf bondinho info:

http://www.bondinho.com.br/

As you can see here on the official site for the train, the price is R$46 per adult, so I don’t understand what constitutes a “big seasonal difference”. The site seems to enable online purchase (but was reported to have had problems initially).

http://www.corcovado.com.br/ingles/index.html

Agreed, no seasonal difference on train prices.

BTW, according to several sources on the web, the problem that you mention was a decree by the mayor back in May to stop tickets being sold over-the-counter at the train station - that decision was overturned within a couple of days by a Court ruling that it was arbitrary.

Here is info on the vans, R$21.36

http://www.ingressorapido.com.br/Corcovado/#

Thanks for the link to this official site, which is for those who go up by road & enter from the parking lot near the top.

Yes, it quotes a price of R$21.36. (low season)

Until 29th November.

From 30th November it quotes a price of R$31.36 (high season)

"High season includes the months of July, December, January, February and part of March, and weekends and holidays"

Do you not think a 47% increase constitutes a big seasonal difference? ;)

They state that they are at the Sheraton Rio iirc. 30 minutes from the hotel to the top of Corcovado sounds very optimistic.

That's something you'll have to argue with Google. ;)

Googlemap shows Sheraton Rio, Av. Niemeyer, 121 Leblon to that entrance parking lot at the top as 13.2 km, 25 minutes.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Sheraton+Rio+-+Avenida+Niemeyer,+Leblon,+Rio+de+Janeiro,+Brazil&daddr=Estr.+Redentor&hl=en&ll=-22.974515,-43.198586&spn=0.111422,0.172863&sll=-22.948791,-43.214968&sspn=0.006965,0.010804&geocode=FVAqof4d0U9s_SGAcQVxi9iN0SkDyW8ETNSbADGAcQVxi9iN0Q%3BFXzaof4dMIxs_Q&oq=corcovado&t=m&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=13

Here’s the Sugarloaf bondinho info:

http://www.bondinho.com.br/

.............which if I'm reading it correctly shows the last cable-car back at 8.40pm.:)

That 8.40pm last cable-car at Sugarloaf, assuming its the same for your date, makes a big big difference :)

If you find the cable-car website a little confusing it's because to get to Sugarloaf you have to take two cable-cars. One from the bottom (Red Beach) to Murro da Urca, then switch to another to complete your journey to Sugarloaf.

No worries

Edited by John Bull

Yes, it quotes a price of R$21.36. (low season)Until 29th November.

From 30th November it quotes a price of R$31.36 (high season)

"High season includes the months of July, December, January, February and part of March, and weekends and holidays"

Do you not think a 47% increase constitutes a big seasonal difference?

R$10= U$4.37

Get real.

I wouldn't want to be traveling (or even going out to the neighborhood restaurant at home, for that matter: Gee, can I not order the lobster on my birthday because the price goes up a bit in the winter?), with someone who would complain about (or even think to mention) less than U$5 difference in the price of something "once-in-a-lifetime" like seeing the Christ statue and that view.

It's not like it's someone trying to make your food stamps last the whole month; they're coming off a cruise, for heavens sake, or flying internationally. You can't get an airport sandwich for U$5 bucks.

"They state that they are at the Sheraton Rio iirc. 30 minutes from the hotel to the top of Corcovado sounds very optimistic."

That's something you'll have to argue with Google. ;)

Googlemap shows Sheraton Rio, Av. Niemeyer, 121 Leblon to that entrance parking lot at the top as 13.2 km, 25 minutes.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...p=1&sz=17&z=13

No reason to take it up with Google. Reason to take it up with someone giving inaccurate information based on some internet site and not personal experience, especially in a case where the original question had to do with tight timing.

R$10= U$4.37

Get real.

I wouldn't want to be traveling (or even going out to the neighborhood restaurant at home, for that matter: Gee, can I not order the lobster on my birthday because the price goes up a bit in the winter?), with someone who would complain about (or even think to mention) less than U$5 difference in the price of something "once-in-a-lifetime" like seeing the Christ statue and that view.

It's not like it's someone trying to make your food stamps last the whole month; they're coming off a cruise, for heavens sake, or flying internationally. You can't get an airport sandwich for U$5 bucks.

No reason to take it up with Google. Reason to take it up with someone giving inaccurate information based on some internet site and not personal experience, especially in a case where the original question had to do with tight timing.

No need for the abrasive manner, VNP. :confused:

We don't want to come to blows. ;)

I recalled that prices were very different in different seasons, you quoted a single price.

Yes, I was correct, the seasonal price changes - and by a big percentage.

But yes, you were correct, its not a big sum - though without looking it up (which I didn't) I wouldn't know whether R$10 was worth $1 or $100.

So we're both right. And we're both wrong.

By all means tell me I should check out currency exchange rates before mentioning a "big seasonal difference", but please don't tell me to "get real" because I find that insulting.

And please don't accuse me of giving inaccurate information about the journey-time to Corcovado, because I did not. :mad:

I particularly made the point that according to Googlemap this was the journey time. Though, as it happens, my journey down from Corcovado through Ipanema followed much the same route & the timing figured.

And I'll happily wager that Googlemap is pretty accurate on that journey time.

I have used it extensively in the course of my work driving throughout Europe (regulations on drivers' hours mean that accurate prediction is important), and for travel world-wide, and find that if anything it tends to err on the pessimistic side.

But let's end on a positive note - all of this is irrelevant, because it appears that Gatorpower's day can be a great deal longer :)

Edited by John Bull

catergirl, if you're not in a pinch for time, the train is much more of a cultural experience. (And if you have to wait 45+ min. from the time you buy your ticket until your train boarding time, there's a nearby local cafe that is nice. See my report at https://sites.google.com/site/splendourbrazil/ - go to the Itinerary + Rio/Iguazu Detail doc linked off the left nav menu.)

gatorpower, based on our experience in Rio, I have no hesitation in saying you can *probably* do both your arrival afternoon/night. And unless you run into unexpected delay, it won't be as ridiculously brief or stressful as some suggest.

There's really no need to get overloaded by picayune details. The key is, you'll have to commit your budget to four taxi rides to make this work: airport-Sheraton, Sheraton-place to Corcovado, Corcovado to Sugar Loaf, then your final trip back to the Sheraton. The Sheraton can help you with this. Taxi rates are reasonable in Rio, but distances are far.

The only time you really have to keep in mind is, the ticket office at Sugar Loaf closes at 7:50 PM. Track the official site here for any changes or updated info: http://www.bondinho.com.br/en/prices-and-hours/

By my best guess, you'll leave the Sheraton at 2:30 at the latest, be standing at the Christ statue at 4:45 at the latest, depart 5:45 at the latest, arrive Sugar Loaf ticket office 6:45 at the latest (which is a popular time b/c of sunset, so don't freak if you see lines on arrival, it's pretty efficient) and enjoy the rest of your evening at Sugar Loaf (it is magical, esp. at sunset and night, there are fast food and drink stands--nothing great, but will sustain life!).

If you decide to reverse the order, then the Corcovado ticket office closes at 8 PM. http://www.corcovado.com.br/ingles/info.html

Rio is geographically spread out, so each leg will feel long. But just relax and enjoy the fascinating views all around!

The three obvious "issues" I see are:

(1) weather might make the decision for you - see my pix with classic fog at https://sites.google.com/site/splendourbrazil/ Jan. 2;

(2) potentially excessive crowds - when you talk with the Sheraton concierge, they can offer insight and any updated info on logistics for both. If crowds are a huge concern, then of course, be sure you're going directly to the one you most want to see just in case the second bites the dust; and

(3) fatigue - if one or both of you crater, then you might have to settle for just one or none!

I wish you both great trips! :)

We plan to do Sugar Loaf at sunset. Are there plenty of taxis in the evening, at Sugar Loaf, when it closes?

There were plenty parked-up around the bottom cable car station when we left, though that was a little earlier.

But, like those at the cruise port, they only wanted a fixed-price fare.

So we walked a few minutes & flagged down a metered cab, which cost us about half the fare they were asking.

• 1 month later...
Even though we are arriving in Rio on the same day we plan to go to Corcovado, wouldn't it be wise to buy tickets online and reserve a time slot for the time we estimate we can get there?

Theoretically yes. However, there are many days when the mountain is socked in with fog and there is not much of a view from the top, leaving not much else to do up there.

I couldn't quickly find the answer on the official site (linked in my post above) or elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't invest any more time on this issue. I agree with your thought to pre-purchase for the reasonably anticipated time. That will give you peace of mind, especially because you are hoping to go up the afternoon of 2 Jan, which will likely see peak crowds. Then, if you don't make the time AND they refuse to honor the ticket for another time slot, just buy a replacement ticket. It is not that costly in the grand scheme, and assuming you are insuring this trip, your unused tickets may be covered, depending on why you failed to make the reserved tram.

Good luck!

Can't we use the online tickets on the next clear day?

You could try messaging them here with your question:

http://www.ingressocomdesconto.com/vitrine/faleconosco.asp

I have no idea if or when they might answer though.

(But IMO, the whole point of buying a timed ticket is to avoid a wait in line to board, because of more demand for seats than train capacity, and switching times probably wouldn't be allowed because it would not allow the train company to know/anticipate how many passengers a certain train would carry.)

Tickets are about U$20 (R$46) per adult so maybe the poster above has a reasonable strategy.

We did this tour today - thought I would add in my two cents worth based solely on our experience while it was fresh!

Depending on volume - would be beneficial to buy tickets online in advance. When our guide tried to book tickets last week for us (4 people), the only options today were for 9am or for 3 pm. I think each of those times only had a few spots still remaining.

Driving up vs. taking the train all the way up... as others mentioned - from the parking area at the middle you either take their mini bus up or take the train from the midpoint. We had a group join us today midpoint and they had to stand. Given the steep incline in places, they didn't look very comfortable.

Today was extremely cloudy. When we first got up to the top, we couldn't even make out the figure of the statue. However, there were breaks in the fog and we got some excellent pictures both of the statue as well as down the mountain. Not great - but good. You just couldn't hesitate when the clouds cleared.

Enjoy your tour whichever one you do!