Super typhoon Haiyan

Salacia

According to reports, this is the biggest storm of the year and it is forecasted to land in the Philippines within the next 24 hours.

"The storm is near its theoretical maximum strength, with sustained winds of 290 kph, and is not expected to weaken significantly, due to very warm water temperatures along its path, reports the Washington Post". http://world.time.com/2013/11/06/the-biggest-storm-in-the-world-this-year-is-headed-for-the-philippines/

For the people of the Philippines, and the Filipino crew members on board ships worried about their loved ones back home, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Salacia

Edited to add: "'The maximum wind gusts are now exceeding 300km per hour near the eye and it's heading west at about 30km per hour towards the central Phillipines." http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=922346

Edited by Salacia

According to reports, this is the biggest storm of the year and it is forecasted to land in the Philippines within the next 24 hours.

"The storm is near its theoretical maximum strength, with sustained winds of 290 kph, and is not expected to weaken significantly, due to very warm water temperatures along its path, reports the Washington Post". http://world.time.com/2013/11/06/the-biggest-storm-in-the-world-this-year-is-headed-for-the-philippines/

For the people of the Philippines, and the Filipino crew members on board ships worried about their loved ones back home, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Salacia

Edited to add: "'The maximum wind gusts are now exceeding 300km per hour near the eye and it's heading west at about 30km per hour towards the central Phillipines." http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=922346

Salacia,Thank you for bring this important message to topic. We here , who sail on the Cunard ships are aware of the Filipino crew who make our vacations!!! Good luck to them

Salacia,Thank you for bring this important message to topic. We here , who sail on the Cunard ships are aware of the Filipino crew who make our vacations!!! Good luck to them

You're welcome, Turquoise, and thank you for your comment. Hopefully, passengers on board ships with Filipino crew members are aware of the situation, and will be sensitive to what those crew members are experiencing. God help the people of the Philippines and the seafarers who love them. -S.

Edited by Salacia

"...The impact of Typhoon Haiyan on the cruise industry’s Filipino crew, desperate for news of family and friends back home, will be widely felt. Global welfare charity Mission to Seafarers, which offers emergency assistance and practical support to crews in 260 ports and also supplies chaplains for cruise ships, estimates that 87,000 of the world’s merchant ships will have crew on board affected by the disaster..."

"...Cruise lines are offering assistance by various means. Cunard Line, Fred Olsen Cruise Lines and P&O have each agreed to auction cruise cabins via Telegraph Travel and the Mission to Seafarers to raise donations. The winning bids will receive a cruise this autumn for two..." details here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10444724/Bid-for-a-cruise-and-help-victims-of-Typhoon-Haiyan.html

Also noteworthy: "A donation of at least $1 million to support relief efforts in the Philippines devastated by Typhoon Haiyan is being pledged by Carnival Corporation..." http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/11/13/46011/carnival+pledges+1m+for+philippines+relief+effort.html

Edited by Salacia

I think that storm goes way, way beyond ANYTHING anyone, anywhere else in the world has ever experienced. The devastation is way beyond anything I can grasp or imagine, winds in excess of 200mph!!!! That would make Katrina a slight gust of wind!!

How can we even begin to imagine a wind of that strength and yes we have had winds well in excess of 80mph, touching 100, but 200mph beggars believe. It would surely throw humans around like a rag doll!!

I tend to watch Al Jazeera news as it does not sanitise anything and I just cannot begin to think of just where anyone will start to give the much needed assistance.

One US aircraft carrier has arrived and that one ship has trebled the amount of helicopters that country has and that fact alone sums up the dire straits they are in.

Our country is sending 12 Accident and emergency doctors but where would these experts even start? Hospitals demolished, no power, no cover and thousands upon thousands injured!!

I sometimes feel down and might feel sorry for myself, but how dare I!!!! If we think we have problems, then start looking at what has happened to that country and rejoice at how fortunate we are.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those poor souls and hopefully aid is on the way.

Am I exaggerating?

philippines-typhoon.jpg

No, Glojo, you're not exaggerating, but I sure wish you were.

I applaud those in the military who are rushing to the aid those in need. Godspeed! -S.

Thank you and I got a lump in my throat when reading the comments about this hurricane\cyclone on the blog being wrote by CapnPugwash. Most of the families of the Filipino crew aboard the QM2 were not in the area where this disaster took place, but unfortunately, one crewman could not get in touch with his wife and daughter.. I cannot begin to imagine how this individual must have felt, but all credit to Cunard, they flew the man home!!

After a few days the ship informed everyone that this man had found his wife and daughter alive and well!! :o;);)

we have heard of warships being diverted to that area and on another forum that I read a retired pilot from the RAF asked just what a Royal Navy air defence destroyer could do when it gets to that location :mad::)

I have absolutely NO idea what training the American Navy does but I composed a list of just some of the tasks that HMS Daring will be carrying out whilst deployed to that area, but rest assured they will be doing far more than what is on that list:

Before any warship deploys it has to pass through the tender hands of Flag Officer Sea Training where the captain and crew are stretched to breaking point to be prepared for just about any event these 'evil' people can think of.

One such part of that training is to deal with a civil disaster that can be just about anything but the idea is where these sailors will have to go into a village that has been the victim of a significant natural disaster.

When this type 45 arrives, clearly its aircraft will do what aircraft do, but the sailors will go ashore and start to sort out whatever they can in that very specific area.

This is just an example of some of the things this air defence destroyer will be able to give

1. Sanitation... They will organise some type of mass toilet facilities

2. Water.. The ship will be making fresh water and as much of it as possible. We are talking in the tons per day.

3. The chefs will go ashore and set up huge canteens where they will start cooking food for as many people as they can.

4. Shipwrights will try to repair essential buildings

5. mechanics\artificers will try to sort out power to get the electricity working.

6. Mechanics and sailors will try to get water flowing through damaged pipework

7. The doctor and his staff will set up a hospital to carry out whatever aid is required and if the ship carries a fully qualified doctor (which this ship does) they will also no doubt be able to carry out emergency surgery.

8. This ship I believe carries a dentist so any major dental work can be carried out..

9. Schooling for the children if deemed appropriate or more likely some of the married personnel will set up play camps for these traumatised children and get them playing and no doubt laughing.

10. Mechanics\artificers will try to repair broken,essential machinery.

11. Electricians will try to get the power distributed once the engineers have sorted out the generators....

That is just a few of the things that ship will be doing and it will not be for only 120 hours a month that they will be required to work. The essential work will start when they arrive and will stop when they leave. It will be hot, extremely dirty, hazardous, exhausting, but all in a day's work for the senior service. I find it sad that this type of work does not get the publicity it deserves but I guess because it has always been a regular requirement, we simply treat it as just another duty!!

Ships of the Royal Navy are called 'warships' but at times like this Jolly Jack will step ashore with a halo above his head and a 'can do' spirit in his heart.

As a point of interest we ALWAYS had a warship deployed to the West Indies and this type of work was a regular event during, and just after the annual hurricane season.

My thoughts are with ALL those effected by this absolutely awful disaster.

John

Am I exaggerating?

You are not exaggerating.

My partner was there visiting his parents when the typhoon struck, although he and the family were spared the worst of the storm.

I have also heard from a member of the ship's crew whose house was almost completely destroyed, but his family, thankfully, went unharmed.

Donations to reputable charities, wherever possible, and prayers, always possible, are the best response we can make.

You are not exaggerating.

My partner was there visiting his parents when the typhoon struck, although he and the family were spared the worst of the storm.

I have also heard from a member of the ship's crew whose house was almost completely destroyed, but his family, thankfully, went unharmed.

Donations to reputable charities, wherever possible, and prayers, always possible, are the best response we can make.

Hi Bobby. Thanks for the update - good news about your partner and his family surviving, and also good news regarding the crew member's family who also survived.

I appreciate and agree with your advice regarding the best responses we can make - like many others, I'm sure we wish we could do more immediately.

Best wishes, -S.

I sent a donation myself and many friends have also, I see today 17th that both the USA and UK have got aid and help through, so those poor people should start to see a clear, get some food,water and help asap.

Dec.org have raised over £33 million so far alone, but that will never help the loss of loved ones or take away the fear of it happening again.

keep donating, we all have made friends with different waiters and crew on board Cunard ships and other ships , I keep in touch with many and there families, so far I have not heard from anyone at all, its heartbreaking

Captain Inga said on QV that Cunard had donated 100K (Probably $) There was a U fund set up on last Wednesday and IIRC just after the first day it was launched there was about $400 from passengers in there. Didn't get to hear a final total on SUnday though. One of the Grills Stewards families (Wife and 5 children) that I talked to had lost their home but were all safe, and as I understand it none of the QV crew had lost anyone and everyone had been able to contact loved ones, which was such good news.

Captain Inga said on QV that Cunard had donated 100K (Probably $) There was a U fund set up on last Wednesday and IIRC just after the first day it was launched there was about $400 from passengers in there. Didn't get to hear a final total on SUnday though. One of the Grills Stewards families (Wife and 5 children) that I talked to had lost their home but were all safe, and as I understand it none of the QV crew had lost anyone and everyone had been able to contact loved ones, which was such good news.

Hi Moonraker. Thanks for that update. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "U fund"? Regards, -S.