Second City - Second Rate?

gatorsfam

Agree. I love Second City (we live near enough to Chicago to have seen them a few times there), but on the cruise it's too repetitive. New touring groups use at least 50% of the same material it seems, over a multi-year timeframe. It's the same "Cruise Script." The contract should've stipulated new material every year.

As for the person that mentioned "rather see Dave Heenan?" I'd rather jump overboard. To each their own!

Edited by weltek

First off, let me say that I usually enjoy the entertainment aboard and we are not overly demanding cruisers, nor quick to complain and gripe... That said, I'm wondering if our experience is similar to other regulars with NCL... We've been sailing more often with NCL than other lines and our first Second City sailing was in 2006. It was entertaining and funny. The sketches seemed original and we really appreciated how they tied in some great skits to go along with our Mediterranean sailing. We've even caught a live Second City show when they were in town with a limited time event - very funny!

Now, moving forward through the years we've sailed on the Pearl (2x), Jewel (2x), and Gem (1x) with Second City on all of those ships as I recall.

It seems that the majority of the sketches are the exact same as they were from 2006... Pictionary... Audience participation "We will rock you".. and on and on... even some of the improv elements seemed retreaded... I don't expect them to roll out an entirely new show every few months, but they really seem to rely on the same old playbook week in and week out. I sort of feel sorry for the Second City staff - I'm sure they are capable of putting together a great and funny show without being so apparently handcuffed by such a scripted show. Yes, funny people have come out of Second City and gone on to SNL and great careers in film and TV, but I'd be shocked if very many of them would want to be associated with the franchising of the Second City brand like NCL is seemingly doing.

Anyway, maybe that is the trend on cruise ships now with the quasi-broadway shows that will probably stay on there for years at a time. It seems that NCL may be riding the Second City wave longer than has been useful.

Am I alone in this thinking? The shows were great the first time, but they diminish each time I've seen them again. Of course none of this stops me from sailing with NCL :D - I wish they would mix it up a bit more I guess - :cool:

This is why we rarely repeat seeing a show; I would not call them second rate or bad, but no, they do not change that often. And I will add, I don't think 2nd City was on NCL in 2006, more like 2009. Regardless, I do somewhat agree with you. I will also add though, the quality you get on a cruise ship isn't going to be Vegas talent, so we can't expect the same entertainment. Yes, it can be very good, no it the performers are not paid what they are in a large metro location or a top entertainment city. That being said, yes, it is time they bring someone new or a new production on board. Our last NCL cruise we didn't even bother with 2nd City.

Edited by newmexicoNita

First off, let me say that I usually enjoy the entertainment aboard and we are not overly demanding cruisers, nor quick to complain and gripe... That said, I'm wondering if our experience is similar to other regulars with NCL... We've been sailing more often with NCL than other lines and our first Second City sailing was in 2006. It was entertaining and funny. The sketches seemed original and we really appreciated how they tied in some great skits to go along with our Mediterranean sailing. We've even caught a live Second City show when they were in town with a limited time event - very funny!

Now, moving forward through the years we've sailed on the Pearl (2x), Jewel (2x), and Gem (1x) with Second City on all of those ships as I recall.

It seems that the majority of the sketches are the exact same as they were from 2006... Pictionary... Audience participation "We will rock you".. and on and on... even some of the improv elements seemed retreaded... I don't expect them to roll out an entirely new show every few months, but they really seem to rely on the same old playbook week in and week out. I sort of feel sorry for the Second City staff - I'm sure they are capable of putting together a great and funny show without being so apparently handcuffed by such a scripted show. Yes, funny people have come out of Second City and gone on to SNL and great careers in film and TV, but I'd be shocked if very many of them would want to be associated with the franchising of the Second City brand like NCL is seemingly doing.

Anyway, maybe that is the trend on cruise ships now with the quasi-broadway shows that will probably stay on there for years at a time. It seems that NCL may be riding the Second City wave longer than has been useful.

Am I alone in this thinking? The shows were great the first time, but they diminish each time I've seen them again. Of course none of this stops me from sailing with NCL :D - I wish they would mix it up a bit more I guess - :cool:

We had Second City and Second City Improv on our Dawn cruise.

Neither show was funny or entertaining to us (2 adults 51 and 53, 2 18 year old girls). We barely made it halfway through the shows before leaving.

I was quite disappointed, having read so many CC reviews raving about the show.

Sent via my carrier pigeon, now free of charge

Not a fan. Saw them once and didn't find it funny at all. So I thought maybe they had an off night. Saw a different second city group on a different cruise - same thing. On the breakaway, they are actually CHARGING to see them for the one show. Obviously, I didn't book that one!

On the breakaway, they are actually CHARGING to see them for the one show. Obviously, I didn't book that one!

On Breakaway there is one Second City show with food that has a fee (just like Cirque show&dinner), other Second City shows (there are several) are free just like the rest of the entertainment onboard.

Not a fan. Saw them once and didn't find it funny at all. So I thought maybe they had an off night. Saw a different second city group on a different cruise - same thing. On the breakaway, they are actually CHARGING to see them for the one show. Obviously, I didn't book that one!

I'm with you. I just didn't find them funny at all. My bf feels the same way. However I love stand up comedians.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm with you. I just didn't find them funny at all. My bf feels the same way. However I love stand up comedians.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am not defending them now, but I have seen them when they have been very funny. Remember, skit type of comedy, is very different from regular stand up comedy. My biggest problem with them now, is: it has become old hat, so it isn't as funny as in years past. But I am still pointing out is isn't the same and never has been as regular comedy. My husband has never really enjoyed and we have seen the best in Vegas.

Sometimes I like Second City; sometimes I don't. I would appreciate different skits and not repeats of the same old. Also, I prefer when Second City controls the audience and doesn't give in to the childish audience behavior of yelling out every filthy word they know in the Adult shows and incorporating them in their skits. We walked out of the SC show on our last Gem cruise, because the troupe was relying on vulgarity instead of comedic talent.

They should go back to the format of bringing on a different comic at each port. We saw some really funny people this way and you knew the next night would be a completely different show because the entertainer was only on one night.

we got one last year and he never finished a joke and spent his routine giving us his resume then we realised he was drunk - he didn't get to do the 2nd set

I agree, boring. We walked out.. On the Breakway we got tickets to the SC Disfunctional show,hoping it would have different material, but was cancelled due to illness. The cast just did an improv show. It was OK. But glad I got my money back.

I don't think Second City even qualifies as second rate. The show I went to was boring and not funny at all. Their improv seemed stilted and rehearsed, like they had a few stock responses they would use over and over. When they asked for audience input they seemed to seek out responses that they expected to hear. blah.

Second City must have struggled to deliver enough good people to do NCL and keep the regular land stuff going.

I suspect the level of talent has dropped and they need to go more formulaic/scripted these days to keep things running.

I do remember on two Jade trips close together they did some good stuff with some new topical material on the second trip.

One Problem was it was too American for the European market and around that time a few years back they took over too much of the entertainment on the Jade.

Getting good cruise ship comedians is not easy remember American sport, TV and politics does not go international

ON the other side you have to remember that a significant number(often more than 50%) of cruise ship pax are 1st/2nd timers so don't have the issue with the repetitive entertainment, food ports... that comes when you cruise a lot on the same ship/line.

Ask how many latitudes are on board next time you cruise.

On our last trip on the Spirit the latitudes party was sparse we even snagged the most cruises prize.

We thought they were pretty funny on the star (first time seeing them), then we took a criuse on the gem and it was the EXACT same thing, only worse. The cast on the star seemed to "gel" much more, and the personalities were quite engaging. On the gem, they told us it was their last night on the cruise after months of sailing (for that particular group), and obviously they had checked out because they were terrible. Awful timing, the cast was completely disengaged, etc.

the room being small, toilet flushing, etc over and over is just the same ole thing.

My husband and I love comedy shows, but we can't classify the Second City troupe as the least bit funny. Well we actually laughed a bit the first time we saw them, but on two subsequent cruises we left shows because the skits were repeated. We particularly enjoyed Jeff Harms on the Gem in April but were very disappointed to hear the same jokes at his show in October on the Gem. Surely we are not the only repeat cruisers??

We just got back from the Breakaway, saw the show Friday night. AWFUL! Not only that, Headliners is an awful theater with the huge columns. We arrive 15 minutes early and found seats in the back, couldn't see anything and my Dad was in a wheelchair (no wheelchair area seating either) and we had to put him in the aisle. Since he was lower than everyone else he couldn't see anything. Since it's improv why don't they move to the theater so everyone can see, otherwise put some standup comedians so we can hear the jokes. I was on a stool and had to twist my neck to watch it from a TV screen across the room.

Before the cruise I tried to get the luncheon booked - so glad I saved myself $20 a head!! The comedy on this ship was disappointing.

Looks like pretty wide agreement that Sketch/Improv comedy isn't for everyone (nor is stand-up for that matter). When done well it can be quite entertaining. It is unfortunate that a group so known for their sketches and improv over the decades has allowed their brand to get tarnished in this manner due to too oft repeated material and spreading their brand out too thin which seems to have affected their ability to maintain staff standards.

I hope NCL is able to correct this issue with Second City, or replace them, or something... such that repeat customers enjoy fresh entertainment whenever they sail with NCL.