Ship's water and filtering

bernie5

A few years back I remember a thread about cruisers swelling during a cruise especially in their feet and legs. All sorts of explanations were given but a lot of people talked about the ship's water and the fact that they did not swell if they drank only bottled water.

During my last cruise I switched to bottled water and had no problem with swelling. I am wondering if anyone has tried using a Britia or any other brand filter for the water instead of buying bottles. This would be so much more convenient and economical.

A few years back I remember a thread about cruisers swelling during a cruise especially in their feet and legs. All sorts of explanations were given but a lot of people talked about the ship's water and the fact that they did not swell if they drank only bottled water.

During my last cruise I switched to bottled water and had no problem with swelling. I am wondering if anyone has tried using a Britia or any other brand filter for the water instead of buying bottles. This would be so much more convenient and economical.

I getting swelling of the feet . It usually is caused by the salt in food ( no added salt at home) and the heat causes the swelling as well.

I get swollen ankles not on the ship, but on the 10 hour drives to/from the ship and/or long air flights. A lot of this has to do with dehydration and the body retaining water for cell function. Try drinking more water to offset the extra salt in the food. there is less salt in the water on the ship than at home.

I actually think it might be the salty air. I have been on land vacations by the sea and I swell up. If I'm vacationing inland, I'm fine. Anyway, that's my theory :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OOPS Posted this on the Celebrity thread in error.. We & our cruising buddies always drink the HAL ship water..

Dr. told me to drink lots of water..We were on a 68 day cruise in Jan & I never had swelling of the feet or ankles...Always take a small thermos of water wherever I go on both the ship & on land..And it's always ships water, not bottled..

I've never had swelling of my ankles on board.. On the other hand, DH hardly ever drinks water & his feet & ankles do swell..I keep telling him to drink more water but some men are just plain stubborn !!!;);)

Cheers...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

It is not the water..... it is the salt in food, especially the soups. The first cruise I ever had, my feet, ankles and lower legs swelled. Dr. said cut out the hot soups and try to keep salt intake down AND take time to elevate legs every day. It worked... have not had any problem on subsequent cruises. Just watch out for salty stuff, especially the hot soups (which I love by the way!!!).

Susan

I actually think it might be the salty air. I have been on land vacations by the sea and I swell up. If I'm vacationing inland, I'm fine. Anyway, that's my theory :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's not the salty air. I have lived in a beach community most of my life. There were not a lot of people around that were puffy just because of the air.