On disability...trip insurance a problem?

Peg_S

Hello,

A relative is interested in cruising. They are on full disability/medicare now. Is there any conflict/issues between with potential medicare and trip insurance payouts? (We will make sure they get pre-existing conditions waived.)

I know most trip policies are second in line for paying. Just want to make sure there is not a problem working with medicare...or how that works.

thanks much,

Peg

Hello,

A relative is interested in cruising. They are on full disability/medicare now. Is there any conflict/issues between with potential medicare and trip insurance payouts? (We will make sure they get pre-existing conditions waived.)

I know most trip policies are second in line for paying. Just want to make sure there is not a problem working with medicare...or how that works.

thanks much,

Peg

It would be best to call one of the Travel Insurance companies to get this issue clarified. Each case is different and they are the only ones who can explain which policies may be appropriate.

Thank you for such quick responses!!!

Taking a cruise is my on my brother-in-law's "Bucket List"...and I want to make sure they are covered if he needs medical help while they're gone.

My sister was nervous about cruising, til I pointed out Bahamas cruises that stick a little closer to the states...so I think I have her talked into it!!!

Just trying to think about anything else to help them. Cause you know the things you worry about never happen....it's always the surprise stuff!!!

thanks!!

Peg

Hello,

thanks much,

Peg

Medicare does not cover outside of the USA. The fact that the individual is on full disability does not change this.

Some Medicare Supplements may have limited foreign travel coverage for medical only but generally do not cover any medical evacuation costs such as medical airlift back home if required. Also can't assume that the supplemental will cover any medical charges as again you have to remember that medical insurance does not extend outside the USA unless the policy specifies. Therefore the individual will have to check their supplemental policy.

In order to have pre-existing conditions waived the travel insurance must be purchased within a restricted time period from the initial booking date. Generally this is a 10-14 day period from the initial booking date depending on the policy/company.

The following websites are good to compare rates and pre-existing condition terms :

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

http://www.wrightquote.com

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks much.

I like insuremytrip.com because it lets you compare policies side by side and eliminate down to the few that work best. (Maybe the others do that too...I haven't used them yet)

Medical evacuation and costs along with weather delays will be the big concerns for them. They'll be cruising in January, coming from Minnesota. (yep, a day early)

thanks!

Peg

My DH was unable to complete our Princess Alaska cruise last year and we were forced to disembark in Juneau. He is on Disability/Medicare. Insurance was wonderful, made arrangements to get us home, put us in a hotel, and all expenses paid except food. I will never travel without insurance that's for sure.

My DH was unable to complete our Princess Alaska cruise last year and we were forced to disembark in Juneau. He is on Disability/Medicare. Insurance was wonderful, made arrangements to get us home, put us in a hotel, and all expenses paid except food. I will never travel without insurance that's for sure.

Alaska is in the US, so Medicare would have covered him. The problems happen when you're cruising outside the US.