Baggies....really?..

TxCougar

Thank you for all the replies!

I WANT to try the local foods, well maybe not so much the spam.

It's just the quoted price of $40 for a medium pizza kinda freaked me out and got me to worrying.

I'm also leery about food poisoning, so I would rather have fresh cooked food which has been stored properly before cooking.

I'm so looking forward to this, I could just squeak!

It's just the quoted price of $40 for a medium pizza kinda freaked me out and got me to worrying.

I'm also leery about food poisoning, so I would rather have fresh cooked food which has been stored properly before cooking.

Haha ,, not to worry Really.. Its not third world ..

If you want fresh , make sure you stop at a local food shack or trailer . Some great food to be had .;)

I'm so looking forward to this, I could just squeak![/quote

We have done 3 b2b Hawaii cruises on NCL.

We have been known to walk out of a restaurant in Waikiki because of the ridiculous prices for Mexican food. You find reasonable priced food off the beaten track like by just going around the corner. There are also places where you can still get a 3.99 breakfast, you'll also find the chains such as Denny's You'll also find that P/apple can be priced as high as $10 and the same for bringing back a 3 pack at the airport

This is true for most ports, but the difference here is that the POA is in Hawaii year round and never leaves the state. All ports are Hawaiian. All provisions are brought on board from Hawaii and therefore it should be no problem to take off the ship a food item that came from Hawaii.

I certainly don't think it is tacky to take some snacks or sandwiches off the ship in Hawaii depending on our plans for the day, especially when the POA sets up a buffet exactly for that purpose. It's not like you went to your local buffet resturant and loaded up carryout for later.

Wait!! Are you saying POA actually sets up a buffet that they designate as for taking food ashore for the day? If so, do they also provide the packaging to do so? I know all the ships have a buffet, but I've never noticed one for taking food ashore. Please give some details.

I saw the post and thought - what??

The kids in the UK use the word baggies for baggy sweat pants

So I though, what?, a post suggesting we bring baggy sweat pants - lol

Shows how important it is to read on

I can see why POA maybe different if it doesn't leave hawaii at any time but we were told numerous times on ships not to take food off - we do take sealed bottled water

As bakerintn stated, Hawaii has very strict agriculture laws and I wouldn't take anything off the ship.

If you go to restaurants with table service, yes they can be expensive, especially in tourist areas. However, counter-service restaurants and food trucks are inexpensive and very tasty. Even McDonald's offer lunch plates (even for breakfast :D).

I was telling DH abou this thread. We went to Duke's at the Marriott in Kuaui (a great place to stop...right on the beach) and had a couple of appetizers at Happy Hour and the best Mai-Tai's we've ever had and didn't have a heart attack at the prices. We DID have a heart attack the food prices in San Francisco on the second part of that trip!!:eek:

We didn't think the food prices at most places were all that much higher than would be found in any large northeastern city in the US. The "fancy" restaurants in tourist areas were often pricey, but the places the locals go were reasonable. Ask people likely to be on a budget (e.g. the cashier in a souvenir shop) for suggestions.

It did help that we are open to try new foods and love "ethnic" foods. Shopping center food courts (there are a bunch in downtown Honolulu) were also a good source of yummy cheap eats. I also kept some quick snacks (e.g. granola bars or single serve packs of almonds) with me.

The prices on dairy products and fresh produce in grocery or ABC stores were the things that gave me the worst sticker shock.

We didn't think the food prices at most places were all that much higher than would be found in any large northeastern city in the US. The "fancy" restaurants in tourist areas were often pricey, but the places the locals go were reasonable. Ask people likely to be on a budget (e.g. the cashier in a souvenir shop) for suggestions.

It did help that we are open to try new foods and love "ethnic" foods. Shopping center food courts (there are a bunch in downtown Honolulu) were also a good source of yummy cheap eats. I also kept some quick snacks (e.g. granola bars or single serve packs of almonds) with me.

The prices on dairy products and fresh produce in grocery or ABC stores were the things that gave me the worst sticker shock.

Agree on grocery price at least in the tourist spots , we saw p/apple price at $10 milk was $7/8. Travelers have to realize that pretty well everything is imported in. The travel industry is their number one, no longer is it P/apple and sugar cane.

Wait!! Are you saying POA actually sets up a buffet that they designate as for taking food ashore for the day? If so, do they also provide the packaging to do so? I know all the ships have a buffet, but I've never noticed one for taking food ashore. Please give some details.

th?id=H.5000365286032605&w=244&h=175&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

What part or what more proof do you need other than what's already been posted here.

The ship does not leave Hawaiin waters, this is NOT the Caribbean were your going from island to island of different countries, where you run the risk of taking foriegn bugs etc and introducing them to other islands. Do a search on the Hawaii board and you will see this subject has been beaten to death.

What is NCL America's official stance? We boarded in the NYC and were told not to bring food off the ship in Cape Canaveral. Was it company policy or Fed regulations? I don't know, but I just did as told. Only factory sealed food were allowed. Maybe NCL America has different policy.

Because of weight/baggage restrictions, I don't plan on shipping any food into Hawaii.

My client advised me to take food from the ship to eat during the day...

I don't know what NCL rules are on this subject but that's a big no-no on Carnival and on many Caribbean islands!

I doubt if the person who made the "$40 pizza" post could pass a polygraph test !!

About the baggies ---- Snack bags (ziploc) are a perfect fit for paper money if you are going swimming. Put the bag in a pocket that won't let it float out.

Edited by swedish weave

Adding my 2 cents to the topic...............

Yes, we did take sandwich bags with us, for a variety of items. However, on many threads and reviews it was recommended to bring a small soft cooler bag for water and snacks, which we did.

In the buffet each morning there was a station with rolls/bread and sandwich makings, ie. cheese, ham, turkey. We didn't do this everyday but it was nice to have a snack along with us. Don't get me wrong we ate in lots of really cool places too ! Prices are not any different from New York. We did rent a car on each island.

When you are touring, especially some areas that are remote, it's nice to be prepared.

Does it have a sign over it stating "Takeout Station"? I doubt it. Will be on the POA in August so will find out for myself.

If, as Tyskie pointed out on this thread, there is a table set up every morning in the buffet with bread and sandwich makings, what would you assume the reason to be? I would guess very few people have sandwiches for breakfast;). I have seen this mentioned on several POA reviews as well. Some people even order room service sandwiches and they are delivered in time to leave the ship. My DH is diabetic and if he needs food while we are say, at the top of Haleakala, or on the road to Hana, it might be nice not to have to spend an hour or two looking for food. Even a sandwich at a deserted stretch of beach sounds pretty good!

You have "paid" for your lunch on POA, so to speak, so what difference does it make whether you have a sandwich there or on the beach? Do you think NCL minds where you eat it? Not sure why anyone would be offended by this.

It appears that the rules for taking food off the ship is different for the POA. Once on the cruise, I find out those who take food off have been misinformed, I will certainly abide by the rules.

Edited by punkincc

Does it have a sign over it stating "Takeout Station"? I doubt it. Will be on the POA in August so will find out for myself.

If, as Tyskie pointed out on this thread, there is a table set up every morning in the buffet with bread and sandwich makings, what would you assume the reason to be? I would guess very few people have sandwiches for breakfast;). I have seen this mentioned on several POA reviews as well. Some people even order room service sandwiches and they are delivered in time to leave the ship. My DH is diabetic and if he needs food while we are say, at the top of Haleakala, or on the road to Hana, it might be nice not to have to spend an hour or two looking for food. Even a sandwich at a deserted stretch of beach sounds pretty good!

You have "paid" for your lunch on POA, so to speak, so what difference does it make whether you have a sandwich there or on the beach? Do you think NCL minds where you eat it? Not sure why anyone would be offended by this.

It appears that the rules for taking food off the ship is different for the POA. Once on the cruise, I find out those who take food off have been misinformed, I will certainly abide by the rules.

You make it sound as if your going to be in some third world country. Food is readily available throughout Hawaii. There is no need to carry food anywhere unless your trying to save money? I have blood sugar issues and take glucose tabs everywhere. But I can assure you, there is plenty of reasonable food available throughout all of the Islands.

This is the first time I've ever heard of NCL having a buffet station set up to take food ashore.:rolleyes:

If, as Tyskie pointed out on this thread, there is a table set up every morning in the buffet with bread and sandwich makings, what would you assume the reason to be? I would guess very few people have sandwiches for breakfast;).

I haven't seen the sandwich making section on the POA as it's 4 years since I sailed on her, but that food is very normal for a European breakfast. In Germany we were always given bread, cheese, ham and other cold meats with a boiled egg as a breakfast platter. The buffet caters for most of the different cultures. Breakfast is different everywhere, all over the world.

In Asia they eat noodles, dim sims, rice etc.

The first time I travelled to the US I thought it was weird to have fried potatoes, sweet pastries, muffins, cinnamon buns, what we call scones and you call biscuits for breakfast. In Aus these are seen as maybe a morning tea snack or afternoon tea option and fried potatoes, something you may have for dinner. We're very much the toast with spread (often vegemite) or cereal, with fruit and maybe yoghurt with either a cup of coffee or cup of tea culture here. Weekends maybe we'll go to the effort to cook eggs either poached, fried or scrambled sometimes with bacon, bake beans or maybe pancakes. I used to have to cook pancakes when my kids were little and they had friends for a sleepover. Pancakes are probably more of a special occasion thing. Although at all the restaurants now it's common to be able to order scrambled eggs or poached with avocado and maybe smoked salmon. (my kids fav). I have to admit I'm amazed at some of the huge plates of food I see piled high with all sorts of combinations at the buffet. The greasy fry up I call it-no way could I eat all that or the combinations as my stomach isn't used to it and I'm sure I'd be ill for the rest of the day trying to digest it all. I'd probably be one of the lounger/chair hogs lying out by the pool all day in a food coma. When I first came back from my trip I told all my friends/acquaintances about it and I'm sure they all thought I was lying or exaggerating.

Now they've all travelled they know I'm not.

Interesting too, because when my Dutch niece in law visits she thinks us Aussies are weird because of our huge range of different breakfast cereals. She thinks it's not necessary as all you need is a piece of bread or roll with some jam-(I think US people call it jelly not jam.)

We did this with our friends on the POA OCT/2011

The station has breads, meats, cheese. There are packages of mayo and mustard. We also took some cookies and milk.

With a insulated bag and baggies full of ice, it was great way to have lunch in Hana.

We had a picnic. It was pretty cool overlooking Hana Bay with all the locals doing the same. I didn't see any of them buying food from the snack bar

We got all this advice about taking food onshore from CC

For those that say there is plenty of food in Hawaii that is very true. We have enjoyed many a meals.

Being from California, we call it Mauifornia, as our flights are so cheap we fly there for long weekends.

The sandwich making station is there................no, it does not have a "to go" sign.

Being on the POA was very different from other NCLships or other cruise lines for that matter. We actually ordered and it was sent, a breakfast sandwich in our room each morning. You could bring flowers and all back on the ship (we went to the lavender farm and brought back a bouquet), no questions, fruit no questions. We bought wine at the Tedeschi winery and like every other ship, they tagged it until the end of our journey.They even had "to go" coffee cups for that 2am sunrise excursion, that was great!

I'm a rule follower. We did not hide our cooler bag. I did not see any mention of taking food off. I think we did this only twice. Most of the time we tried to eat local food to get the true Hawaiian experience.:D

f, as Tyskie pointed out on this thread, there is a table set up every morning in the buffet with bread and sandwich makings, what would you assume the reason to be? I would guess very few people have sandwiches for breakfast

There has always been breads and cold cuts out on the buffet in the morning to serve mostly the European traveller.