How Long Before the cruise do you organise your cruise clothes?

Zanny

Hi, Was just wondering how long out from your cruise do you start to think of what you are going to pack etc. this question will probably be more for the ladies regarding their cruise clothes. any feed back from any one would be appreciated.

Thanks Zanny:)

Hi, Was just wondering how long out from your cruise do you start to think of what you are going to pack etc. this question will probably be more for the ladies regarding their cruise clothes. any feed back from any one would be appreciated.

Hi Zanny, in my case far to long probably, at least 3 months, but this allows me to try & shed a few kilo's, buy some new clothes, sort out accessories(evening outfits), but I love having the opportunity to dress up and make the most of it. After 18 cruises I am still a cronic overpacker, but I like to take a couple of extra outfits to allow for, what I feel like wearing on the day, weather changes, or maybe I'm having a fat day.....I like to be prepared for all situations,:D nothing worse than wearing something your not feeling comfortable in. I'm sure not everyone is like me, and can be a lot more organised in a lot less time......whatever you are happy doing.Robin:)

About a month out I start mentally going though my wardrobe think king about what I want to pack, and deciding if I need to buy some new things. The. About a week out I start putting things aside as they come out of the wash, ready to pack. Final pack is done the day before we fly out.

Hi Zanny, in my case far to long probably, at least 3 months, but this allows me to try & shed a few kilo's, buy some new clothes, sort out accessories(evening outfits), but I love having the opportunity to dress up and make the most of it. After 18 cruises I am still a cronic overpacker, but I like to take a couple of extra outfits to allow for, what I feel like wearing on the day, weather changes, or maybe I'm having a fat day.....I like to be prepared for all situations,:D nothing worse than wearing something your not feeling comfortable in. I'm sure not everyone is like me, and can be a lot more organised in a lot less time......whatever you are happy doing.Robin:)

Thank goodness Robin! I am exactly like you when it comes to "wear what you feel like wearing on the day, weather changes, or maybe I'm having a fat day".....I am always trying to explain that feeling to my husband who just cannot get it! I understand completely and that is why I tend to overpack as well.:)

Zanny, I tend to START the packing process about two months ahead by just gathering (in the general area) certain items I know I want to take. About a month ahead I really look at combinations and try to fine tune. I actually start putting things in the suitcases about two weeks ahead, usually that is the undergarments and things that don't matter if they wrinkle. The rest goes in a week down to the few days prior to leaving. The way I look at it is that I need to drag the process out so I have something to keep me sane during the WAIT.:D

Jacs, I also do that final wash for things as well ...about a week out.

Another note...I have read where some ladies take a photo of each outfit and lay them out and try to fine tune them or figure out mix and matches that way. I may try this next time. One thing I did try once was putting on some of my formal dresses to see how they looked and boy was I glad to I did this...some of the dresses looked awful with the accessory choices I had paired with them or even one dress I had bought online...the color was atrocious! But it was fun doing that process.

Barbara

Edited by alibabacruisers

It's my first cruise in 2 weeks time and I haven't packed yet! :eek: I had planned to start one month before the cruise but I've been so busy and time just got away. I have bought a couple of new outfits for formal nights and a couple of power adapters for the cruise but apart from that, nothing else has been done!

I better start packing!! On top of that I have to pack for my 6 year old too. What do 6 year old boys wear to formal nights? Is black pants, long sleeve shirt and a tie acceptable? He doesn't have a suit...

As our bookings are usually a 12-14 month wait, I take advantage of the winter/summer sales to 'freshen up' the clothing list. It's also a good idea to check the temperatures of the ports you'll be visiting to see if your current clothing will suffice.

I start about 2 weeks out. Lay things out in the spare bedroom and accessorise as I go. I usually work out outfits for each night and always overpack!!

Just booked a last minute cruise on Solstice for Nov 28th.... So better start packing:D:D

I was brought up with: one on, one off, and one in the wash :rolleyes:

So, two 2 pair of evening pants, one long skirt, four tops (not the pop group) all of which are crease resistant, two pairs of shoes, loads of bling - that's the formal evenings taken care of. I never ever take new shoes, I like my comfort.

I visually check the clothes out and put them in the spare wardrobe a couple of weeks before so they are "at the ready" and pack a week before.

I wear a uniform all week at work - so I have plenty of casual clothes, so after the last wash a week before - in go the casual stuff, tops, shorts, jeans, then trainers, sandals and one warm wrap. That's me :p

About 2 weeks before I start segregating clothes for the cruise in my wardrobe, try them on if necessary and decide on shoes etc. I also start putting aside some of the bits and pieces I like to take along too (first aid kit, chargers etc) we have a large desk in our bedroom that is wonderful for this pre-packing. I am a chronic over packer, but unless I have to stick to airline baggage restrictions, I don't worry about taking too much!

Final pack into the suitcase is usually done the night before leaving>

Edited by Raison

It's my first cruise in 2 weeks time and I haven't packed yet! :eek: I had planned to start one month before the cruise but I've been so busy and time just got away. I have bought a couple of new outfits for formal nights and a couple of power adapters for the cruise but apart from that, nothing else has been done!

I better start packing!! On top of that I have to pack for my 6 year old too. What do 6 year old boys wear to formal nights? Is black pants, long sleeve shirt and a tie acceptable? He doesn't have a suit...

Our grandsons wear black pants - black shirt - and take a white shirt for another night - (long sleeves) and a tie - all from KMart

Edited by dizzy1948

We booked 7 months from our cruise in January for 19 days I have to pack for husband I and 2 kids 15 years old girl and 11 year old boy I started as soon as I booked as the kids don't know until Christmas Day I've been buy things like bathers snorkeling sets reef shoe and evening wear for them for Christmas as for things like toiletries just grad something every shop and pop straight in my suit case I think I'm almost done. For my 11 year old boy I found a lovely pair of dress pants and vest set from target and got a shirt and tie set of eBay from America

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have laid out clothes which I think I will take and all the other bits and pieces. Next week I will do the serious sorting,iron and pack it all in the bags on the Friday before we leave. My husband and I have lost heaps of weight in the past 3 months so we have bought all new clothes. Shoes are my worst as I always take too many pairs. Trying to pare it down to 4prs each. We are packing summer and winter clothes as it will be cooler in the South Island of NZ. Taking 2 large bags, suit bag, small carry on, hubbies CPAP machine. Just as well we don't have to fly then I would be in a quandary .

Edited by Kingos

I keep a cruise closet. I never get a chance to wear formal or semi-formal clothes except on a cruise so it started with keeping them together in one place. Everything in the closet is clean and ready to go (altered, no missing buttons, etc.) I have a shoe organizer on the door for my cruise shoes. I have a couple of plastic underbed organizers for the bits and bobs that accumulate for the cruise.

When I am ready for the cruise, I go to the closet and pull out what I want to take (it worked really well for my last cruise). Next cruise the entire contents of the closet are going since I will be away for 133 days. I have pictures of all my clothes and a spreadsheet divided into types of clothes. When I start to pack (about a month from now) I will fill in which suitcase each item is in on the spreadsheet (three pieces of luggage - I hope:eek:). I will also have a mixture of types of clothing in each suitcase so if one decides it is going on a separate vacation, I will still have some of everything. I wear almost all separates (think I only own 6 dresses total) so every separate piece has to go with at least two others (preferably more).

If you haven't done so, come over and visit us on the Cruise Fashion and Beauty Forum. Check out the Caribbean-Cruising Fashionista thread. indiana71 has a fantastic planning method complete with pictures. Many good ideas wherever you are cruising (not just the Caribbean).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Edited by Scrapnana

Hi, Everyone. Thank You very much for all your answrs.I am glad that i am not the only one who starts to think of what to pack between 2-3 months out from the cruise. It is an interesting subject in my view. Also i think you feel more like you are going on a holiday when you start to plan all these things.

Thanks Again. Zanny:)

My best tip for cruise packing is..........make a list. I keep one from cruise to cruise and just adjust the mix and match to suit my (weight!!!), the weather expected on the cruise, length of cruise. I find the list helps to remind me of all the little things, like camera charger, evening bag, accessories, meds, sun lotion etc etc. PS: My cruising friends have been known to borrow my list as a starting point for their packing.

I travel as often as I can, so I have "travel" section in my closet.

when I book,I go through that to see what fits, needs alterations or moved to the "take to second hand store".

Often book 6 - 9 months or a yr out.

Depends on how long I will be travelling when I start - Canadian, so have to hit the sales at the right season (do not need winter clothes on most of my travels!!)

Like to be able to mix and match and try to travel light - pick up bargans if I see them.

Put travel size make up in bag if I get it ahead of time.

Have a computer print out I put in my bag, and can tick off items as I put them in so I know not to repeat them.

Couple of weeks out, finish the process, so I do not have a last minute panic!!

We're cruising in 11 days and I packed last weekend. For myself, I have about 8 variations of the same outfit, lol. Long cotton drawstring pants and a sleeveless smock type top in the same material. Very light, very cool, but covered up enough so that I don't feel uncomfortable. Plus I can wear a shirt under the top if it's cool. I have a dress for formal night and some longer length gym type shorts for on shore, since my husband and kids have booked us all in for some fairly "energetic" excursions. DH and boys (18 and 13) have a suit, cargo pants, nice shorts and shirts, and gym shorts and t shirts for on shore. We got everything we need for the four of us into two suitcases. Which the cat is guarding. Now I just have to explain to him that he's not coming with us :(