Changing cabin on celebrity eclipse

Kitkat180

We are due on our first ever cruise on dec 28th on celebrity eclipse southern Caribbean.Really looking forward to it, the only thing worrying us is our cabin. We booked a guarantee balcony stateroom. When I log in to my celebrity we have already been allocated a cabin no 6287. When I did some research I found that this is directly above a smoking area. I just contacted my travel agent ( uk based) to see if there was any option of moving away from the smoking area and she said no that once cabin allocated then celebrity will not change us. Is this right? I felt when there were other cabins still available on the same deck then they would have moved us to one of them with no problem? Does anyone else have any experience of changing a guarantee cabin position? Thanks.

We are due on our first ever cruise on dec 28th on celebrity eclipse southern Caribbean.Really looking forward to it, the only thing worrying us is our cabin. We booked a guarantee balcony stateroom. When I log in to my celebrity we have already been allocated a cabin no 6287. When I did some research I found that this is directly above a smoking area. I just contacted my travel agent ( uk based) to see if there was any option of moving away from the smoking area and she said no that once cabin allocated then celebrity will not change us. Is this right? I felt when there were other cabins still available on the same deck then they would have moved us to one of them with no problem? Does anyone else have any experience of changing a guarantee cabin position? Thanks.

6287 is no where near the smoking area on Deck 5. :confused: You will be directly above Blu and there is not even a deck area below you.

I think you are able to change cabins if there are any available and they are in the same category as your guarantee - at least in the U.S. you can do that.

Yes. You can change cabins. We have done it using. UK TA. You can only change to the same category, if there are cabins available. Even there are cabins available either up or down a grade you can't change to one of those. It sounds to me like your cabin is ok. Gimlet gal knows her stuff.

With all due respect, you booked a guaranty with the full knowledge that you would not be able to select our cabin. In return you got, I assume, a very good price. DW and I frequently do the same, hoping for the best, but accepting of the worst. Changing cabins is probably possible on many ships, but New Year cruises are usually sold out. Hope it all works out,as other posters have noted.

Kitkat180, welcome to the board.

There is a smoking area on Deck 5, port side midships, but your are close to the stern. It shouldn't be a problem.

As gimletgal says, in Canada and the US you can change to an available cabin in the same category, but UK rules may be different.

I checked a website that lets you see all available cabins, and there are at least 15 of your cabin type (2C) available to choose from on deck 6.

Cabin 6300 has an extended balcony almost fully aft...:D

6287 is no where near the smoking area on Deck 5. :confused: You will be directly above Blu and there is not even a deck area below you.

I think you are able to change cabins if there are any available and they are in the same category as your guarantee - at least in the U.S. you can do that.

I think Kitkat180 is referring to one of these Cruise Critic member reviews:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=66477

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38993710&postcount=1989

Kitkat180: welcome to Cruise Critic. I am also on the Dec 28 sailing. While you are getting your getting your cabin taken care of, I invite you to check out the roll call for Dec 28 cruise (link is below) where there are more many other Cruise Critic members cruising with you!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1647575

Edited by mahdnc

Good find. That review is terribly misleading, as half of the cabins the reviewer says to avoid because of the smoking area are on the other side of the ship!

The Promenade deck 5 area below 6187 indeed is just above where the crew take their breaks, including smoking there, as it is just outside the service/kitchen area for the specialty/Blu restaurants. I've seen this when we've been on S class ships. You can see the crew door to that area, just below the opening in the white railing, in the shot below and the red arrow indicates the balcony for 6187.

Like cle-guy indicated there are at least 15 2C balconies available for the Nov.28th Eclipse sailing including many on the starboard, non-smoking side with 6300 with it's larger balcony being a good option.

We recently had our TA changed our gty assigned C1 to a better located midship, non-connecting one for our upcoming cruise when it became available and as sandancer mentioned they have done likewise with an UK based TA.

attachment.php?attachmentid=292399&d=1384007159

DSC09484e.jpg.5dafecb2f19c8a712da45d4c220773b5.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

The Promenade deck 5 area below 6187 indeed is just above where the crew take their breaks, including smoking there, as it is just outside the service/kitchen area for the specialty/Blu restaurants. I've seen this when we've been on S class ships. You can see the crew door to that area, just below the opening in the white railing, in the shot below and the red arrow indicates the balcony for 6187.

Like cle-guy indicated there are at least 15 2C balconies available for the Nov.28th Eclipse sailing including many on the starboard, non-smoking side with 6300 with it's larger balcony being a good option.

We recently had our TA changed our gty assigned C1 to a better located midship, non-connecting one for our upcoming cruise when it became available and as sandancer mentioned they have done likewise with an UK based TA.

attachment.php?attachmentid=292399&d=1384007159

Well, that's a disturbing post! Are there other staff smoking areas that Celebrity doesn't talk about? We are switching to Celebrity because of the balcony smoking on HAL, and made a cabin choice based on what we thought was a complete list of smoking areas, but I'm now starting to wonder.

I wonder if the crew is officially allowed to smoke outside the restaurant service/kitchen area or if that is even a crew only area as I can't recall seeing any signage there to that. It may be that the crew that smokes know that port side forward and central Promenade deck is a passenger smoking allowed area so they do likewise. It could be interesting if the passengers in the balconies above that area complained about the crew smoking there.:mad: