Best Stingray Excursion (Carnival or other)

CTMills

We will be traveling back to Grand Cayman in March. Last year we did the turtle farm (through Carnival) and loved it. This year, we want to go to Stingray City. I am looking for people who have done other stingray excursions and want to know what they liked or didn't like about them. We are looking at Carnival and other companies as well Are there any out there with a lunch option? It will for sure be me, my husband, and our 13-year-old daughter, possibly others from our group as well. We will be on the Magic in March. Thanks in advance for any info!

no lunch option but an excellent tour with Stingray Sailing http://www.stingraysailing.com/index.html local owner Chip and great communication ahead of time. I like them as the catamaran offers a smaller more private way to visit the reef, you get two stops and it feels like a private boat. Price is great. Time enough to eat after you get back and/or visit Seven Mile Beach before the ship leaves.

Here's some pictures from our last trip with them: https://picasaweb.google.com/101061014028443590225/StingrayCity?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJC0h5TgxLyviwE&feat=directlink

we're booked again in February, also sailing on the Magic

Edited by lgsshedden
added pics

Second vote for Stingray Sailings. We just went to Grand Cayman in October and used Chip for our second visit. Had a great time. There were only 7 of us on board, makes for a great personalize tour. It was choppy during our visit and Chip did all he could to get us a great spot on the sandbar. There is no lunch, but you will get water and then on the way back from the tour you will get fruit and there is beer for purchase.

I just got back from GC and booked a stingray/coral gardens/starfish excursion with Nativeway. I had never booked a non-ship excursion before and was nervous about it. They were GREAT. We were the only ship in that day, on a chartered Carnival Victory. My niece and I ended up being the only ones on our excursion, which I thought would be so strange. We never felt uncomfortable at all.

Singray City was a little rough that day, but our captain Tom made sure we were safe and had as much time with the stingrays as we wanted. My niece wasn't too thrilled with them, but he brought her a baby one and let her interact at her own pace. Loved the snorkeling too. We even saw a wild dolphin at Starfish Point.

Considering I booked with the cruiseline for Ocho Rios, I'm not opposed to ship excursions. I was very impressed the professionalism and attention to detail that was offered by Nativeway.

The best excursion we ever did anywhere! Fat Fish Adventures Jet Ski to Stingray City. It is awesome, very small groups ours was just 9 of us. They are all great people our guide Ryan and the van driver Ray were awesome. If you have never done Stingray City it in itself is must do but combine with a 10 mile Jet Ski ride across crystal clear ocean waters and you can beat it. They let you enjoy the ride too none of this single file stuff. They will park the skis a little away from the crowds at Stingray City so you have your own space and they will take you too a snorkeling spot on the way back. We even had an encounter with a dolphin! It was amazing I cannot recommend it enough. Ous was a group of 9 ages from 18-50 and all agreed it was the highlight of our cruise.

Another vote for Stingray Sailing.

We used them last week, for the second time, and the excursion was just as awesome as I remembered from 4 years ago.

Sailing out on a catamaran with a small group of people makes for a really relaxing enjoyable day!

• 1 month later...

I wanted to relate my last experience with Capt. Marvin. We booked the 2 stop snorkel/stingray tour that was posted on their web site as beginning at 11:15. Our ship arrived in port at 10:00 so I thought I would have plenty of time. Due to the slow tendering process (and people with Carnival excursions being let off first) we didn't get to Capt. Marvins storefront until exactly 11:15. We were told that the bus to the boat actually left at 10:45 and the boat departed at 11:15, hence the time listing on their website. Be aware, if you have a 10:00 arrival, there is NO WAY you will be able to do this excursion. I'm sure this happens frequently (there were others in our situation on the same day) and am disappointed there was no notification of the problem when we booked. I will be using a different tour operator next time.

Drog, we are considering the jet ski tour. My question is the physical difficulty of it. Do you have to pull yourself up onto the jetski, and how difficult is that? We are in our late 50's, not horribly out of shape, but not the epitome of fitness either. Thanks!

We just returned from doing the stingray excursion (with snorkeling and Rum Point) with Nativeway and it was the most amazing day ever. Very small crowd (12 people on the tour), amazing staff and service, free rum punch along the way, and all around great experience (compared to other tours). It's definitely a "must do" in Grand Cayman. :)

Having just gotten home from a cruise on the NCL Pearl (12-15 to 12-22) and booked Stingray Sailing for our Cayman adventure.

I can't say enough good things about Capt. Chip, his boat, his dad and the overall experience.

When we arrived, the winds were a little high. The sailings booked through the various cruise lines had already been canceled but Chip had been talking to local captains and figured it wasn't as bad as people were saying.

With that being said, we headed out to see how it was. Chip jumped into the water to check the waves and currents and made the decision that it would be safe for us. Yeah there were some waves but by the time we got out to the sandbar, we were the ONLY boat and had the rays to ourselves. There were some waves but nothing that anyone who can swim couldn't deal with.

It was AMAZING. I can't recommend Stingray Sailing enough.

That and how often do you get to fly under a pirate flag in the Cayman Islands when you're not playing the Assassin's Creed IV:Black Flag video game?

Once for me so far. :)

If you guys are planning on swimming with the stingrays you must try the Buccaneer Catamaran :D. You'll have a great time and the price is right compared to Carnival. As soon as you get off the dock take a left and walk about 2 short blocks, and a scenic bus ride (included in price:)) takes you directly to the boat dock. Anyway, the directions and information are on this site.

http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.co..._Excursion.htm

It was $39., looks like they just upped it a few weeks ago to $45, maybe because of the Christmas holiday. Still worth it!:)

We have done this 3x and would do it again. Also note the other excursions on this helpful site. We have done the Rhino Riders in St Maarten and most recently the Tiki Tour to Pinel Island. Island Marketing is a class act, and no, I am not affiliated or get any commision - just trying to be helpful. We will be using their site when cruising later this March to the Western Carib.