Jewel of the Sea Dance/Music questions

scomar

My wife and I love to dance, not the pre-thought out dance step dancing, but just letting the music move your body dancing. Any way, I hear there is a 70's party (love dancing to 70's music) (/) (\) (/) (\) <-- me shaking my booty:D I know its not pretty but it is fun:) Do you see many dress up for the 70's party (in 70's clothes or accessories)? Do they have it in Vortex?

As far as the Vortex/Disco, will the DJ take request (and then actually play the request). Can you give them music burned on to a CD to play? On average what time do the close it down?

Different cruise lines do these things differently. Carnival (at least a few years ago) didn't play many request and the music was like it was all prearranged in a playing order. Although we did stay at the disco until 3:30am Hal played everything we requested and even took our two CDs and play most everything on them for us.

Any one have any experience with how the Vortex does request and is there a large variety of music. Will they except music burn on a CD (just incase they do not have a specific song) We dance to everything from the 70's to the 2000's except country.

Thanks, Scomar

Edited by scomar

They will accept requests, but I think they have to pay royalties on the music they play, so would not play your music if they don't have it. Not sure why HAL would do it, unless they were desperate for patrons.:)

Most of the DJs we have met have planned their playlists. So e are more flexible than others - if there's nobody on the dance floor, a smart DJ will blow up his or her playlist and go with the flow. They aren't all smart, though.

The 70's party had great music so I doubt you'll be disappointed. They cannot play your CD because a) they don't know what's on it, and b) any song that they do play is paid for through royalties (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, CAPAC, etc). It's a public performance of a song, and therefor the cruiseline must pay royalties in order to play songs. They can't simply play whatever they want.

Actually, any store or restaurant that you go into that either plays CD's or a radio station for music is in violation of royalty laws. Little if anything is done about it, and most everyone does it, but technically it is against the law.

The 70's dance party, hosted by the cruise director staff, is held in the Centrum. The cruise staff dress up for it, but few passengers do.

I don't know when you are cruising on the Jewel, but if your cruise is out of San Juan then the Vortex will likely play mostly latin music. That was definitely the case when I was on there last month. There were brief times during the week when they would play non-latin music - and the dance floor was packed during those times - but after a song or two they would go back to the latin music, even though it resulted in much fewer people dancing and less peoples staying in the club. :rolleyes:

Edited by Snowball

The 70's party had great music so I doubt you'll be disappointed. They cannot play your CD because a) they don't know what's on it, and b) any song that they do play is paid for through royalties (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, CAPAC, etc). It's a public performance of a song, and therefor the cruiseline must pay royalties in order to play songs. They can't simply play whatever they want.

Actually, any store or restaurant that you go into that either plays CD's or a radio station for music is in violation of royalty laws. Little if anything is done about it, and most everyone does it, but technically it is against the law.

Your a royalties lawyer huh?:D Would the money be paid to the Royalties Caribbean Cruise Line? Just kidding!!

Thanks for the great info!!

The 70's dance party, hosted by the cruise director staff, is held in the Centrum. The cruise staff dress up for it, but few passengers do.

I don't know when you are cruising on the Jewel, but if your cruise is out of San Juan then the Vortex will likely play mostly latin music. That was definitely the case when I was on there last month. There were brief times during the week when they would play non-latin music - and the dance floor was packed during those times - but after a song or two they would go back to the latin music, even though it resulted in much fewer people dancing and less peoples staying in the club. :rolleyes:

Thank you for clarifying how the 70's party is done. We will be cruising out of San Juan mid-December. Although I do not mind dancing to a little Latin music (especially after drinking tequila) it would bum me out if they played more Latin than other types of music. Maybe a nice tip to the DJ would help:confused:

Thanks for the great info!