Agadir

Hi! We still havent booked our cruise for march yet, need to get xmas out of the way first and then see what the prices are like. In the meantime im reading all i can about cruising and the different ports. Theres 2 itineries we can choose from, Colourful Coasts and Canarian Charms. One stops at Agadir, one doesnt. Im really not sure about Agadir and it maybe the deciding factor as to which we take. Has anyone been and what was it like? Ive looked at the Thomsons excursions and not sure if i fancy any of them.

Hi! We still havent booked our cruise for march yet, need to get xmas out of the way first and then see what the prices are like. In the meantime im reading all i can about cruising and the different ports. Theres 2 itineries we can choose from, Colourful Coasts and Canarian Charms. One stops at Agadir, one doesnt. Im really not sure about Agadir and it maybe the deciding factor as to which we take. Has anyone been and what was it like? Ive looked at the Thomsons excursions and not sure if i fancy any of them.

Hi, we stopped there twice, didn't get off the ship on the second occasion. It was okay, we jumped into a taxi and had a beach day. The trouble is, like all North African ports no one takes no for an answer. Give the choice of two cruises I would pick the one that didn't stop at*Aga dir.

I'm not in any rush to go to agadir in the near future went to taradount village a bit of an eye opener and saw the tree climbing goats the Canarian charms I would like to do. Also the crossing to morocco can be a bit rocky I would choose the canarian charms every time.

Edited by infoqueen

I'd also opt for Canarian Flavours. We went to Agadir the last time we did a Canaries cruise with Thomson and I wouldn't rush to go back. We went to Taroudant and I found the guided tour through the soukh quite intimidating. Also while we were waiting for the buses to pick us back up we were constantly harassed by locals trying to sell stuff. I was in Morocco about 25 years ago and enjoyed it, but it seemed different this time. We are off on Spirit in a couple of weeks and have chosen dates on the basis of the itinerary which takes in the Azores rather than Morocco.

Isobel

Canarian Flavours every time :) La Gomera is beautiful and Fuerteventura has a lovely shopping centre and fabulous beaches.

Having said that, I am going to Agadir on my birthday cruise, next year :eek: I really chose the cruise for the ship and the itinerary as it goes to El Hiero, which is the one Canary island we haven't been to. I have only recently realized that I am in Agadir on my birthday :o, so will probably get a taxi to the hotel area which is quite nice.

As someone else mentioned, it can be rocky across to Morocco :eek:

If you have never bento Morocco then it is a life experience. The crossing can be a bit rough as others have said but the weather is usually really warm even in mind winter.

We have been in several times and now done most of the tours.

1. Targa mound with the tree climbing goats is interesting but you do get hassled in the bazaar and at the Argon oil factory you go to.

2. There is a tour to the centre of the town and the souk. There are some interesting goods on sale but you have to bargain hard ( and in French if you want a really good price). Wear closed in shoes as the floors in the market are filthy with bit of decaying vegetable etc. you also go up to the Kazba and get hassled to buy trinkets.

3. If it is available the camel ride round the palace gardens and to the bird sanctuary is really interesting but you do need to be fairly fit as you are on a camel for hours.

We once went by taxi and I felt dreadfully uncomfortable as on the way home we got taken via a carpet store we did not ask to see. A firm no got us back to the ship but never again.

If you do go in dress modestly, take small denomination euros or dollars, wear closed shoes and if at all possible avoid the toilets (if you really need to go then take your own supply of paper and sanitising gel).

As I say it is something you will not forget but go prepared.

Far be it for me to tell you what to do but you won't miss Agadir, been twice thankful for the experience first time but didn't get off Celebration second time!!

Love Fuerteventura been loads of time on package holidays and sure the shopping centre is not far from the port and well worth a visit.

Just thought I'd put in a good word for Agadir. We've been there 6 or 7 times and love the place and the people. Yes its a little third world and a relatively poor nation but the people are friendly and respectful and we consider it a safe place. A firm 'no thank you' is all you need to say to the traders, you'll get much less hassle in Agadir than in Tunisia or Egypt, in our experience. The beach is superb and you wont get mugged.

Thanks for all your views, i think ill give Agadir a miss, as long as the price is right on the other itinery. Where is the shopping centre in fuerteventura? Is it near the port?
You just get off the ship turn left, walk along the promenade, then turn right, up some steps, through some gardens and it is there :) Get a map from reception and it is marked on there :)

Just thought I'd put in a good word for Agadir. We've been there 6 or 7 times and love the place and the people. Yes its a little third world and a relatively poor nation but the people are friendly and respectful and we consider it a safe place. A firm 'no thank you' is all you need to say to the traders, you'll get much less hassle in Agadir than in Tunisia or Egypt, in our experience. The beach is superb and you wont get mugged.
Agree to a certain extent Rookery :)

We had a great week in Agadir at the Founty Beach in February 2009. The area around the hotels is very nice, but the problem is getting there from the ship by taxi :eek::eek: When we went on the Celebration in 2008, we sat on the ship and watched the hassling that went on and even when we thought they had all gone and we ventured forth in the afternoon, just for a walk along the harbour wall, someone shouted taxi and followed us - quite intimidating!

Agree to a certain extent Rookery :)

We had a great week in Agadir at the Founty Beach in February 2009. The area around the hotels is very nice, but the problem is getting there from the ship by taxi :eek::eek: When we went on the Celebration in 2008, we sat on the ship and watched the hassling that went on and even when we thought they had all gone and we ventured forth in the afternoon, just for a walk along the harbour wall, someone shouted taxi and followed us - quite intimidating!

When we were there April 2013, it seemed quite organised on the quayside. As we got off the ship there was a notice giving prices for taxis in different currencies, so we had the correct money ready. There was a queue of people and someone organising people getting into them. I had seen advice on here about getting a new taxi and could see that "our" taxi was going to be an old one and the next one a new shiny one, so we waited back and got the new one. :D

The driver offered us an excursion but we said we just wanted to go to the beach and he took us straight there. He did offer to pick us up later but we knew we would be able to get another taxi and that is what we did. No problem. The only thing was that the returning driver took us on a different route along the new road system and our hearts were in our mouths until we saw that we were heading towards a blue TUI ship funnel. :rolleyes::)

We may actually end up on the colourfull coasts one which calls in agadir, as when ive looked more closely, theres only one canarian flavours in march, as oppossed to 2 or 3 colourful coasts. As im hoping for a little bit of a price reduction, its less likely with just the one sailing in march. However a day at the beach would be good, and it sounds like its easy enough to do.

We may actually end up on the colourfull coasts one which calls in agadir, as when ive looked more closely, theres only one canarian flavours in march, as oppossed to 2 or 3 colourful coasts. As im hoping for a little bit of a price reduction, its less likely with just the one sailing in march. However a day at the beach would be good, and it sounds like its easy enough to do.

I got a very good bargain 3 weeks before the cruise in April 2013 on colourful coasts. :)